Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2011, 03:51 PM   #1

2001 Dip Ceiling Stains

Hello,

I have a 2001 Diplomat with the older style ceiling. In the bedroom, there are stains that are in the same spots as the frame members. They are dark and look similar to the stains you get on a rag when you polish aluminum. My buddy has a 2000 Dip with the same stains.

We are guessing that this is aluminum dust from the frame that is created from the vibration of going down the road.

I've tried the bleach/vinegar/soda water concoction recommended in the owner's manual, Hot Shot, straight bleach, straight peroxide (3%), peroxide & baking soda - nothing even gives a hint that it might work. Monaco tech support says they have never seen the problem.

My question is has anyone else had this same problem and what is the cleaning agent to get the stains off?

I'll post pix soon.

Thanks for any suggestions and/or a solution.
VinceB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2011, 06:25 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I've polished aluminum before and have used plain flour or corn meal to remove black residue from the metal. Maybe these two rubbed on your Dips ceiling might draw in some of this residue
Old 10-23-2011, 09:11 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Our coach has steel roof trusses, not aluminum. It has the same ceiling staining that you're talking about. So far I haven't found anything that will touch it.

Some have said that it is diesel soot, caused by the space between the bedroom wall and the rear cap not being sealed properly, allowing diesel smoke from the engine room to leak up into the ceiling. If that's the case, then a good degreaser type of cleaner should be able to clean it. I haven't tried that, but I'm going to.

So, to answer your questions about what this staining is, and how to clean it, I really don't know.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:30 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
I have a 1999 Tradewinds and have the same problem. It's in about four of the seams on our ceiling. I've tried many of the recommended cleaners with no results at all. I did manage to cover up most of one with a cieling mod, but cover it up was all I could do. I hope you get a good answer I need it.

Dick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Before-01.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	245.8 KB
ID:	15020   Click image for larger version

Name:	soaking in mcguires.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	248.7 KB
ID:	15021  

Name:	DSCF1904.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	267.1 KB
ID:	15022  
Old 10-23-2011, 10:01 PM   #5
rex

Monaco Owners Club
VinceB the 2001 Diplomat has steel roof members, not aluminum. I have the same problem in the bedroom.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:20 AM   #6

Has anyone tried spraying the affected areas with a solution of rug cleaner and then using a wet/dry vacuum to suck up the cleaner? If that works, you could then try one of those rug cleaners (Hoover, etc) that have a hand tool.

Dick Lucas, HR Imperial
RCLImperial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:52 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
I tried the Hoover Rug cleaner, and no change at all. It seems the black is imbeded clear through the pile of the ceiling.

Dick
Old 10-24-2011, 10:12 AM   #8

Thanks everyone for responding so far.

I tried Resolve carpet cleaner - some improvement - the pile seems clean but the backing is still black. The fumes drove me out to fresh air.

I tried shaving cream - not much improvement so far - I am letting it soak.

I work with a materials engineer who knows how things work on a molecular level. If we have diesel soot, we will never get it to turn white as it is carbon. Getting it out from deep in the pile wil be difficult as soot tends to be a little sticky. He suggested spraying the whole ceiling with white shoe dye.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:16 PM   #9

So far it looks like shaving cream is the winner. It didn't get the stain all out, but you can see where it did lighten it up a lot. It still does not look good enough.

I heard boaters use bug & tar remover to get diesel soot off their hulls. I don't feel I have anything to lose at this point and will buy a bottle. If that doesn't work, I'll think about installing wood "beams" to cover up the stains.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1326.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	333.1 KB
ID:	15041  
Old 10-25-2011, 06:32 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
VinceB -- Try "Awsome" - You can buy it at most dollar stores -- It`s the best all around cleaner we`ve found -- It will be in a round plastic bottle, & is yellowish -- Bill Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:28 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have thought about spraying the ceiling with white shoe dye. I've wondered if it will leave the ceiling 'soft', or whether it will become stiff to the touch.

I'm getting ready to do some serious redesigning of our front cabinets and TV above the dashboard. The only thing stopping me right now is that the strip of ceiling above the TV cabinet is absolutely pitch black. When I remove that cabinet, we'll be left with an ugly black strip in the ceiling.

Has anybody installed a new vinyl ceiling covering over the old ceiling?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 02:50 PM   #12

I had seen that same stain along the frt cabinets above the windshield in a 94 Dynasty. Luckily my 96 has none

Berrys...great ceiling mod!
sc3283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 02:59 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Willard View Post
VinceB -- Try "Awsome" - You can buy it at most dollar stores -- It`s the best all around cleaner we`ve found -- It will be in a round plastic bottle, & is yellowish -- Bill Willard
I spelled the cleaner wrong -- It`s Awesome --
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ceiling