Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2020, 04:00 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
2001 Diplomat house battery charging

I have a 2001 Monaco Diplomat. I have it in covered storage with shore power attached. The inverter/charger is an ME2512 and I just replaced it about three months ago. It shows it is float charging the batteries, but the DC systems, like lights, the thermostat and other things don't come on. I checked the batteries with a volt meter and they all show as charged. The DC items just don't work. I am going to buy a hydrometer and check the batteries, but they are only about a year or so old.

When I run the engine, everything works like it should.

Is there something that, when it fails, blocks the DC power from getting to the items it is supposed to power?
Danlane45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2020, 05:30 PM   #2

Yes, the battery disconnect switch and solenoid.

There also should be a seperate lighter gauge wire on the house battery positive terminal that powers the house loads. Find it and follow it to a solenoid and or a fuse/breaker.

The inverter and boost start cables are larger.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 05:32 PM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to JoeyAZ
I know you have probably tried this already, but did you check the 'salesman switch' just to the left as you enter the coach? I have a 2001 Diplomat, and other people can push that switch and you'll be chasing your tail.

Good luck - I hope it is something simple!

Joe
JoeyAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 06:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyAZ View Post
I know you have probably tried this already, but did you check the 'salesman switch' just to the left as you enter the coach? I have a 2001 Diplomat, and other people can push that switch and you'll be chasing your tail.

Good luck - I hope it is something simple!

Joe
There is no switch marked " Salesman Switch ".

Unless he's been hanging on the site, he won't know what your talking about.

Its a Battery Disconnect, Use/Store or some other name, but not a salesman switch.
Old 05-31-2020, 03:42 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
The Salesman Switch

I know the switch you are talking about...and, yes, I checked that, cycled it a couple of times and no go. I did chase my tail on that a few years ago and finally remembered it.
Old 05-31-2020, 03:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danlane45 View Post
I know the switch you are talking about...and, yes, I checked that, cycled it a couple of times and no go. I did chase my tail on that a few years ago and finally remembered it.
That switch controls a solenoid. Sometimes, although the solenoid clicks on, it doesn't make contact internally.

Jumping across both large terminals is a good test. If things work, jumped, its bad.
Old 05-31-2020, 06:25 AM   #7

Hi,
So, I also have an ‘01 diplomat, I have heard lots of people on here talk of a salesman switch, but I thought maybe mine didn’t have one because I’ve neve seen anything like that. Since you have the same rig as me, any chance you could take a picture of this switch or tell me more where I could find it so I know it’s location as well ?
Thanks
Michael
Old 05-31-2020, 04:03 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Salesman switch

When you first start to enter, there are two switches. One is for the step lights and the other is the disconnect.
Old 05-31-2020, 04:11 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Battery charging

I bought a hydrometer and tested all four batteries. On one, the bulb barely floated and did not float on the other three. I have a 10 amp, 12 volt charger, can I use that to try to charge the batteries? If so, do I need to loosen the caps in case they generate hydrogen gas? How do I hook them up, since there are four of them?

The batteries are Interstate that i bought at Costco. The label says RC:L 105, Ah@20 hr 210. The item number is 850284.

The label on the solenoid says:
White-Rodger BM
Type: 586-105111-3 COIL 12V D.C cont.
Cust No. 586-302

Tags
battery, charging