Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2013, 01:37 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
2001 HR Imperial fuel filter confusion

Confused I am. I have the above rig and am wanting to get the system ready for a nice trip this coming summer. In the course of events and reading LOTS of comments on ISL engines, I have come to the conclusion that I have wrong filters or they are in the wrong locations. The filter on the curb side is an FS1022 and has an electrical connection and drain plug on it. The filter on the driver side is an FS1242 with a transparent bowl and drain on the bottom of it. My assumption is that the FS1022 is the primary filter and is a 10 micron filter. Continuing on, the FS1242 is the secondary filter and is a 25 micron filter. I know from extensive reading that if I am right something is very wrong. The driver side, if it's the secondary filter should be something on the order of 2-3 microns (ie FS5488). Does anyone have an HR with such a lash up and can advise what they have? Comments are also welcomed. Thanks.
Good luck and safe travels!
BeltoneMagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2013, 06:38 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
The FS1242 is the primary filter that traps water and particles larger then 25 microns. The FS1022 is the secondary filter that traps the smaller stuff down to 10 microns. Hope this helps!
timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:17 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I have a 2001 Imperial it has a ISC Cummins. Are you sure yours is an ISL? Any other I have seen has had an ISC.
MY coach has the FS1242 and the FS1022 and I have never had any problems in 20, 000 miles .
Old 12-08-2013, 09:41 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks slickest1. Yes I have the ISL. When I bought the MH (used-not much of a manual-referenced to a ISC) I contacted the existing Monaco and got the build sheet for the VIN number. The MH has the optional 370 hp and the engine does have an "ISL" on it. Where I am confused is the only reference I could find showed only 1 filter and it had the electrical probe for water in fuel. What got me thinking(?) was reading about others, with slightly newer rigs (03,05,-etc) having 2 filters and the numbers didn't match up. They were using FS1003 and FF5488 filters. I then had the notion that maybe my filter positions had been physically reversed. Are yours mounted on separate sides and which side each is on? (My MH is a side radiator, don't now if yours is or not). I may be tilting at windmills but it sure would be nice to know.
FWIW - In my discoveries the FS1242 is a 25 micron filter and the FS1022 is a 2 or 3 micron filter. The FS1242 is recommended to be replaced by an FS1015 which is a 10 micron filter. The more the better especially since the fuel pump is one of the weaker links on these engines.
Thanks for your time and Best OF Luck AND SAFE TRAVELS!
Old 12-08-2013, 09:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeltoneMagoo View Post
Confused I am. I have the above rig and am wanting to get the system ready for a nice trip this coming summer. In the course of events and reading LOTS of comments on ISL engines, I have come to the conclusion that I have wrong filters or they are in the wrong locations. The filter on the curb side is an FS1022 and has an electrical connection and drain plug on it. The filter on the driver side is an FS1242 with a transparent bowl and drain on the bottom of it. My assumption is that the FS1022 is the primary filter and is a 10 micron filter. Continuing on, the FS1242 is the secondary filter and is a 25 micron filter. I know from extensive reading that if I am right something is very wrong. The driver side, if it's the secondary filter should be something on the order of 2-3 microns (ie FS5488). Does anyone have an HR with such a lash up and can advise what they have? Comments are also welcomed. Thanks. Good luck and safe travels!
You're good to go. The filter on the drivers side with the bowl and drain and 25 micron is the primary & is the first one the fuel passes through. The secondary, usually mounted on the side of the engine is the 10 micron. In engines of your vintage and mine are equipped with a 10 micron secondary filter.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 05:20 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Mine also has the filter with the bowl FS 1242 on the drivers side and the one with the electrical plug FS 1022 is on the passenger side. Nice and easy for servicing. Good for you on the ISL, I wish mine had that.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:35 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Many thanks to all who responded. I sure feel better about the whole mess now. Guess I will now go and find something else unimportant to worry about.
Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and safe travels!
Old 12-10-2013, 03:22 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
One more (almost relevant) comment: My '04 Dip build-sheet specifies an ISC, but when I had to replace my radiator, the "ISL" logo was staring me in the face. Nice discovery. But what I'm laboring-on about is that (at least in '04), the filters were not engine dependent.

Primary (road side filter w/ the bowl): FS 1242 (NAPA 533242)
Secondary: w/ electrical plug (curb side....on the engine) FS 1022 (NAPA 3422).
or: '08 Buick Lucerne
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel