Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2019, 04:00 AM   #1

2001 Knight 36R Suspension / Air Bags

Hi everyone!

This is my first post. I had to share this with the world.

My 2001 Knight 36R has some badly cracked airbags, including one missing a chunk of rubber. The section missing a chunk appears to be down to the cords (assuming they have cords like tires do).

I scoured the whole internet for part numbers for air bags. I could not find them to save my life.

Thankfully, my retired father was kind enough to call Monaco while I was at work, and after speaking to several people at Monaco, he has solved the mystery.

For a 2001 Knight with the RM4C chassis and 26,000 GVWR, these are the suspension part numbers:
Front shocks - 90045132
Rear shocks - 90045188
Front air bags - 90557249
Rear air bags - 90557248

All of them are Neway part numbers because of the Neway suspension.
Firestone still makes air bags that cross to those numbers and are supposed to fit. Monroe makes shocks that cross to the shock numbers, and RockAuto stocks them. If you do a part number search on RockAuto, the Monroe's come up.

I hope this gets to someone who needed the info as badly as I did.

Thank you to everyone who posts on this board. The information you provide is truly helpful.
jamesc2919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2019, 06:29 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesc2919 View Post
Hi everyone!

This is my first post. I had to share this with the world.

My 2001 Knight 36R has some badly cracked airbags, including one missing a chunk of rubber. The section missing a chunk appears to be down to the cords (assuming they have cords like tires do).

I scoured the whole internet for part numbers for air bags. I could not find them to save my life.

Thankfully, my retired father was kind enough to call Monaco while I was at work, and after speaking to several people at Monaco, he has solved the mystery.

For a 2001 Knight with the RM4C chassis and 26,000 GVWR, these are the suspension part numbers:
Front shocks - 90045132
Rear shocks - 90045188
Front air bags - 90557249
Rear air bags - 90557248

All of them are Neway part numbers because of the Neway suspension.
Firestone still makes air bags that cross to those numbers and are supposed to fit. Monroe makes shocks that cross to the shock numbers, and RockAuto stocks them. If you do a part number search on RockAuto, the Monroe's come up.

I hope this gets to someone who needed the info as badly as I did.

Thank you to everyone who posts on this board. The information you provide is truly helpful.
James,

I saw your post on the Monacoers and was going to respond but I'll do it here. Thanks for posting those numbers, I'm sure it will help someone else down the road!

Before you order the new air bags and shocks you may consider calling Source Engineering. The 2 owners of Source are former employees of Monaco and have helped out many Monaco owners. I have an 07 Neptune with the rr4r chassis. From what I understand it's very similar to your chassis. They have a ride enhancement kit (REK) that may work on your chassis. It includes new air bags and shocks as well as a couple other products that really make the chassis ride much smoother.

A quick call to them first may or may not be much difference in cost, but may give you a better ride for similar $$ cost.

Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 09:50 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I'm not the guy to help with that but noticed you are kinda new on IRV2 and wanted to say hello! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 11:39 AM   #4

Here's what I ended up ordering:

Air Bags from anythingtruck.com
2 of Firestone W01-358-9586 (crosses to 90557249)
2 of Firestone W01-358-9587 (crosses to 90557248)

Front Shocks from ultrarvproducts.com
Koni EVO 99B-3209
Koni is "99%" sure they will fit. I hope they're right!

Rear Shocks from stengelbros.com
Monroe 65432 Magnum 65 (cross to 90045188)

Nothing is installed yet. I'm hoping that the shop can get me in this week.
Old 08-31-2019, 10:27 AM   #5

Well, 12 hours of shop labor later and everything is installed.
Now it rides like new! There is a lot less swaying, and cornering feels much better.
The ride is much more firm, so you do notice more harshness going over bumps and potholes. However, it is a much better ride overall and will be much better on the highway.
I hope this helps someone with a 2001 Knight.
Old 12-05-2019, 07:54 PM   #6

Ride Height

Great info. I have a 2001 36' Monaco knight and I want to replace the front air bags very soon. Can anybody tell me how to measure the ride height. Do I measure air bag height or frame to axle? I also replaced all shocks last year with Bilteins and it made a very nice improvement but I'm still not happy with the rough road ride. Would Kony 99s give me a better ride? Thanks again for all the information.
ed holly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 03:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed holly View Post
Great info. I have a 2001 36' Monaco knight and I want to replace the front air bags very soon. Can anybody tell me how to measure the ride height. Do I measure air bag height or frame to axle? I also replaced all shocks last year with Bilteins and it made a very nice improvement but I'm still not happy with the rough road ride. Would Kony 99s give me a better ride? Thanks again for all the information.
The manual states the following regarding ride height:
The chassis has three height control valves. The drive axle suspension ride height is the distance from the underside of the C-Channel Rail to center line of the axle. Comparing this measurement to the height of the air bag will ensure an accurate adjustment. The steer axle suspension ride height is the distance from the underside of the C-Channel rail to the top of the axle. The air bag height measured from the top plate to the bottom plate should be 10.5”. In order to obtain the ride height measurement for the rear axle, measure
from the underside of the C-Channel Rail to the center line of the axle. The ride height measured for the drive axle should equal 7.5”. Front axle ride
height measured should equal 9.5”.
NOTE: Ride height has + or - ¼” tolerance.

I've never run Bilsteins, but my Koni's have been somewhat of a rough ride. They're great on smooth highways, but they can get rough elsewhere. I am not as in love with them as some others seem to be, but to each his own.
If you grab the part numbers I posted for the shocks earlier, they cross to a few options that are relatively cheap. Maybe you could give one of those a try.

While you're looking at your front suspension, see if you can find the Neway model number on it. Off hand, I think mine is a Neway AD-160 in the front. I may have some additional Neway documentation to help you.
Old 12-06-2019, 05:16 AM   #8

Hi,
I have a 2001 38' Diplomat, would anyone know if these air bag part numbers would be the same
for the Diplomat ? I was considering changing them before I had a problem, or atleast having a spare set with me,
Thanks
Michael
duckboatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 05:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckboatking View Post
Hi,
I have a 2001 38' Diplomat, would anyone know if these air bag part numbers would be the same
for the Diplomat ? I was considering changing them before I had a problem, or atleast having a spare set with me,
Thanks
Michael
Hi Michael,

I suggest the following:
1. Find out if you have the Neway suspension, and if you do, find the model number of the front suspension system.
2. If you do not have the Neway suspension, call Monaco and give them your VIN. I know lots of people have said that Monaco can't help you since they got bought out, but they gave me the exact part numbers I needed based on my VIN.
3. Have a shop do the fronts. I had all 4 done professionally, but unless you have a lot of heavy-duty tools and time, you're probably better off having a truck shop do it. I found one that let me bring the parts and they just handled the installation.

Good luck, and post if you need anything!

Tags
ags, air, suspension