RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2012, 10:44 PM   #1

2001 monaco dynasty electrical problem

Left Fla after using battery booster to start engine.(Have not used in 6months). Alternator had charged chassis battery to 14.3 volts after runnning 400 miles but after hooking the 50 amps to our coach overnight battery dipped to 12.3 volts in the morning. House batteries seem to be fine . Running the coach on the road I have no problem starting the engine after filling up for gas or etc. Tested chassis solenoid using multimeter read 13.2-13.5 but inside on RV30 charge controller it reads around 12 . On charge controller sometimetimes amps will read 0 all the way up to 3.5. Seems like battery charges up and then goes right back down having to use battery booster. Is this the starter solenoid or big boy solenoid. New to RVing and would appreciate any help.Thanks
mike59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2012, 09:37 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sounds like your battery is no good.

If you don't stand behind our TROOPS, Feel Free to stand in front of them
Wish I was somewhere I could not use the internet...
LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:47 AM   #3

Hi Lee
Thanks for your reply. Would the battery still start the engine after several stops along the way without using the battery booster? Battery was tested with a clamp on before leaving and it tested good.
mike59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:53 PM   #4

If it was tested underload with a clamp on tester then the battery is good. You say that you have a BIG Boy and a B.I.R.D that controls the Bog Boy. When on the genny or shore power the BIRD charging system first charges the house batteries and then when they reach 13.2 volts the Big Boy solenoid is activated so that the system now charges the chassis batteries. If you house batteries are not getting up to 13.2 volts then the chassis batteries will not get charged except by the alternator.

Now you have to ask what is running the chassis batteries down that fast overnight. Either something is left on, or the chassis batteries are only maintaining a surface charge but that is normally detected when you test the batteries underload. The first thing I would do is to buy a battery terminal wire brush and remove the battery cables and clean the posts and the inside of the cables until they are bright silver in color and I would also check the water level in the batteries. Most of the chassis batteries are low or no maintence batteries but you can still pop the tops and check most of them. Once full of distilled water and clean terminals then try it again. If they still run down then I would have somebody check the batteries under load again.

Your RV30 will charge both the house and chassis batteries at the same time. There is a fuse on the RV30 for the house batteries and one in the chassis battery box for the chassis batteries. Also look around the battery compartment and make sure nobody has left a cable off of either the house or chassis batteries. It is easy to have one fall down when working on the batteries and miss connecting it back up. Let us know what you find out and we can go from there.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical, monaco