Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2023, 05:59 AM   #1

2001 Monaco Dynasty steer wandering

I bought my coach used in 12/2022 with 71K miles and have since made some repairs to include new Redhead steering box, new roof HVAC units, gave it a full-service refresh by changing all filters and fluids and repaired leaking #8 90-degree fitting that connects A/C line to A/C compressor. My wife and I made our first trip via I-65 in the coach a few weeks ago to go see our daughter in Destin, FL and noticed the coach seems to wander. It doesn't pull it seems to drift or wander unless you are constantly correcting to keep it straight. I have read several post about this and there seems to be varying opinions. I've checked the steering to see if any of the steering components have slack in them and they all seem to be normal. I guess the next step is to take it to a shop and have them put it on an alignment machine to check all tolerances. Does anyone know of a good shop within reasonable driving distance from Huntsville, AL?
Pufahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2023, 06:12 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Can't help with an alignment shop, but check tire pressures for your axle weight as well.

Have you read the very lengthy threads about wandering? It's very common with the older Monaco's.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/wan...124491-57.html

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/ste...210152-37.html

Many, including myself, have gone with Monaco Watts. As far as resolving wandering issues, that's the best choice I made.

https://monacowatts.com/
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 07:43 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Do you know make of steering box you have? Monaco usually have either a TRW or Sheppard.

The Sheppard is notorious for wander & cannot be easily rebuilt and there is no internal adjustment. The parts either end up with a tight steering box or not.

The TRW can be rebuilt and a number of owners have swapped from the Sheppard to the TRW.

So that would be the first question, which box do you have.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 02:39 AM   #4

Windsorbill links to threads are not working for me heres full thread
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/wan...my-124491.html
Have someone move wheel while running back and forth at center, a little further at a time, look for play.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 04:27 AM   #5

I have a Sheppard steering box that was rebuilt by Red Head Steering Gears.
Old 04-17-2023, 08:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
Windsorbill links to threads are not working for me heres full thread
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/wan...my-124491.html
Have someone move wheel while running back and forth at center, a little further at a time, look for play.
Don't despair, you have a fine coach. You may even get used to the way it drives, if not there are plenty of ways to improve the steering. The link above by 153 stars will educate you far better than I ever could. Unfortunately, a TRW steering box may be in your future. Reading will clarify that process and why the coach wanders.
Keep us posted & good luck.

Ray & Marilyn
03 Windsor
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 09:16 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pufahl View Post
I have a Sheppard steering box that was rebuilt by Red Head Steering Gears.

I am not an expert but have read many threads/posts on this and pay to attention to certain members who post.

From what I read the Sheppard steering box cannot be rebuild reliably. Seems like there is no internal adjustments and the gear match is what does or doesn't work. That's why most people to a swap to a TRW, it does have adjustments to tighten up the play.

I also have a Sheppard steering box but my steering is tight, no wandering, or excessive play. I can drive with a couple fingers on the steering wheel most of the time. If I were to have a problem with mine, which would most likely be a leak, I'd insist that all the internal gears be used to rebuild.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 09:29 AM   #8

We had Josam in Orlando, Florida perform the Sheppard to TRW sway earlier this month. It made a significant improvement but does not stop/remove all the "movement" in the chassis.

Matt Miller (616-724-3762) at Weller Truck helped me determine the Sheppard model in our coach and provided the correct TRW/Pittman Arm information. Barry at Josam ordered the steering box and Pittman Arm and fit us in while we were in the area. Both companies were great to work with, the installation took approximately 5 hours.
Old 04-19-2023, 12:09 PM   #9

Can you share the cost.? For others. I was lucky and very pleased to discover that TRW was installed on my 95 Crown Royale/ Signature.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 04:47 AM   #10

It cost me $551.00 plus $100 for shipping. I had it back in 1 week. I believe I made a post about it on this forum.
Old 04-20-2023, 07:49 AM   #11

The total cost of the swap was <$1800.00 which included cutting an access hole for the adjustment screw. Josam provided all parts and labor.
Old 04-25-2023, 02:23 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
As others have said the Shepard just can't be tightened up like the TRW with the adjustment screw. And another thing you can do is add a rear cross brace kit and Watts Links from monacowatts.com With these components you will notice a major difference.
Old 04-25-2023, 06:26 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pufahl View Post
I bought my coach used in 12/2022 with 71K miles and have since made some repairs to include new Redhead steering box, new roof HVAC units, gave it a full-service refresh by changing all filters and fluids and repaired leaking #8 90-degree fitting that connects A/C line to A/C compressor. My wife and I made our first trip via I-65 in the coach a few weeks ago to go see our daughter in Destin, FL and noticed the coach seems to wander. It doesn't pull it seems to drift or wander unless you are constantly correcting to keep it straight. I have read several post about this and there seems to be varying opinions. I've checked the steering to see if any of the steering components have slack in them and they all seem to be normal. I guess the next step is to take it to a shop and have them put it on an alignment machine to check all tolerances. Does anyone know of a good shop within reasonable driving distance from Huntsville, AL?
When I drove home my 2005 Holiday Rambler Ambassador after purchasing it used I thought I had made a really big mistake. It wandered all over the place. I took it to a highly respected alignment shop and they said it was good. Then I had it weighed and checked the tire manufacturer’s inflation tables. The tires had at least 20 lbs. too much air pressure. So I lowered them to the recommended level. Voila, a much improved driving experience. I later changed the Sheppard steering box for a TRW one with no noticeable improvement in handling so I didn’t go the next step to the Watts addition. Might have helped but hard to say. Also, more time at the wheel makes them easier to drive as you develop “muscle memory” that helps with the steering.
neoflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 04:41 AM   #14

I have the Shepard steering gearbox but it has been rebuilt by Red Head Steering Gear. There is no play in the steering box and completely happy with the rebuild they did. I will consider installing the Watts system. There is no reliable RV shop near me I will likely do it myself when I have some free time.

Tags
monaco, monaco dynasty