RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2018, 04:07 PM   #1

2001 Monaco Knight 32L parking break problem

I have a 2001 Monaco Knight 32L, the parking brake does not engage and being that the master brake system is hydraulic/disc/ABS and the parking break is air I'm not sure what the problem is. The master system works fine and when I engage the parking brake I get the wussh of air but it does not hold the vehicle at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0557.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	325.7 KB
ID:	205122   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0562.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	256.6 KB
ID:	205123  

sdines2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2018, 04:17 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

WOW, I've never heard of that problem!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 04:41 PM   #3

Good afternoon Sdines2; I have a Monaco Windsor where the air drum brakes are similar to the ones in a commercial truck. The springs in the air diaphragm are engaged and the rear brakes are applied when the parking brake button is pulled up. I am going out on a limb here as I am not exactly sure, but your wheel brakes I believe are hydraulic. The parking brake is on the drive shaft with a drum and shoes and it is air actuated. Your problem could either be in the parking brake button on on the console or something is wrong with the mechanism that operates the shoes on the drive shaft. Being safe I would block the wheels on the coach and try to look under to see the parking brake on the drive shaft. Have some one in the drivers seat apply and release the brake so you could see if it is engaging. Possible something has come disconnected. This is what come to my mind reading your post. Just be SAFE getting under the coach. Let us know what you find out and what the fix was when possible. Good luck!
8.3Oilbuner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 05:14 PM   #4

You have a drive line parking brake. It has a drum with shoes in it, on the drive shaft. Most are right behind the transmission.

The brakes are controlled by an air chamber with a huge spring in it. The air chamber gets air from the dash switch.

When you reliese the brake, you send air to the chamber. That air pressure, squeezes the spring and releases the brake shoes inside the drum.

When you apply the brake, the air is let out and the spring forces the shoes against the drum, holding the drive train from turning.

Over time, the shoes wear down, far enough, that the spring can't push them hard enough against the inside of the drum.

The fix is to adjust the linkage, or an adjuster between the shoes, so that they sit closer to the drum. That way the spring can do its job.

A good, heavy equipment or truck brake shop should be able to adjust that brake.

You should see both of these under the MH. First is the brake drum and then the spring chamber.Click image for larger version

Name:	downloadfile-1.jpeg
Views:	27
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	205126Click image for larger version

Name:	downloadfile.jpeg
Views:	25
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	205127
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 05:19 PM   #5

8.3oilburner Yes you are correct as far as the main breaks they are hydraulic disc brakes and as far as the parking break yes it is air operated but I will have to see if it is on the drive shaft and I will let you know what I find. Thanks for the reply.
Old 05-31-2018, 05:30 PM   #6

Twinboat - just went out and sure enough it looks just like your picture, you and 8.3oilburner are right, now maybe I can get this straight! Thanks much for your assistance and I will let you guys know the out come.
Old 06-02-2018, 11:28 AM   #7

Parking Brake Fixed

Just want to say thanks to 8.3Oilburner and twinboat you both hit it on the head and since I was a certified Auto mechanic back in the mid 70's I jumped into it my self and it works perfect! Never have worked on anything this big and all I needed was a place to start, Thanks much!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0372.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	455.2 KB
ID:	205307  
Old 06-02-2018, 03:55 PM   #8

Great news. Was there an internal adjuster or did you adjust the clevis on the rod.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 06:14 PM   #9

Parking Brake Fixed

I adjusted the clevis rod after I unseized everything and did it one turn at a time until it held and I could release it and the unit would roll' that way I knew it wasn't to tight. I engaged it and tried to move the unit and it would not move, so I figure it's very close. Not to get off the subject but do you know who carries brake pads and calipers for this unit? My driver side caliper is hanging up and if I need pads or calipers I would like to be able to get them.
Old 06-02-2018, 06:55 PM   #10

Hi Sdines2; Glad we could be of help. Thanks to Twinboat for the info and pictures. As for calipers and pads, I would use the search box at the top right of this page. I would put in something like, sources for calipers and pads for a 2001 Monaco Knight, and see what luck you have. Or someone here will beat you to it as they have that information on hand. Good luck and have a great weekend.

8.3Oilbuner is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco