Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2020, 11:42 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
2001 Monaco Windosor - 120 Volt Electrical in Kitchen

I have a 2001 Monaco Windsor. I have suddenly lost all 120 volt recepticals in the kitchen slide. This include base cabinet receptical, overhead recepticals, overhead receptical above the couch, left driver's side in cabinet receptical, and television cabinet receptacle. I have tessted all breakers and all are pushing 120 volt out. The ground fault breaker trip each time I test them wit the voltage test so I am assuming they are ok as well.

I am stump as to where to look to trace this circuit down to trouble shoot it. I have a junction box under the kitchen cabinet and I can get voltage one one of the two sets wire coming into the box. Needless to say I am starting to get confused as to how to find and fix the problem. Any ideas?
rhilton284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2020, 12:20 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
sounds like the 30A breaker to the Inverter tripped (or breakers in the Inverter sub-panel).
Have you checked that?

I have some drawings that may help (go to "Wiring Diagrams" link in my Signature and then look in the "2000-2007 Monaco-HR-SMC folder".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Windsor 120 VAC wiring.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	205.4 KB
ID:	278859  
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 01:45 PM   #3

You might look for a GFCI receptacle , it could be fed through the bath room circuit .

Ray
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 03:35 PM   #4

Check plug box in basement. Assuming you are not on shore power and your inverter is on
Reka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 07:43 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamiDav View Post
You might look for a GFCI receptacle , it could be fed through the bath room circuit .

Ray
If I have 2 gfci breakers, 1for the Kitchen, and 1 for the bathroom I would think there would be no gfci receptacles on those circuits. Am I wrong? That is usually the way it goes in commercial and residential electrical systems. I am not sure about these RV systems.
Old 03-23-2020, 07:44 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reka View Post
Check plug box in basement. Assuming you are not on shore power and your inverter is on
I am on shore power. All seems well with everything else 120 volt. Even the heat pumps work.
Old 03-23-2020, 07:59 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
sounds like the 30A breaker to the Inverter tripped (or breakers in the Inverter sub-panel).
Have you checked that?

I have some drawings that may help (go to "Wiring Diagrams" link in my Signature and then look in the "2000-2007 Monaco-HR-SMC folder".
I have looked at all the main panel breaker including inverter l1 and l2 and all the breakers in the sub panel including inverter l1. There is no invert l2 in the sub panel. Thanks for the JPEG of the wiring layout. I will try being systematic using the wiring layout. By the way the far right receptacle in the drivers over cabinets are also inoperative.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:01 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhilton284 View Post
I have looked at all the main panel breaker including inverter l1 and l2 and all the breakers in the sub panel including inverter l1. There is no invert l2 in the sub panel. Thanks for the JPEG of the wiring layout. I will try being systematic using the wiring layout. By the way the far right receptacle in the drivers over cabinets are also inoperative.
Update - There is an Invert L2 breaker in the sub panel and I and I have checked ot and the breaker is working as expected.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:19 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Bob,
I have a 2002 Windsor PKD, probably very similar to yours.

The front kitchen outlets are fed from the Inverter subpanel. There is a separate breaker for both the outlets and the microwave.

I assume your microwave is working since you say you are getting power on 1 of 2 circuits in the junction box under the kitchen counter.

That narrows it down to the S1 circuit from the inverter sub panel based on my wiring diagram. Have you checked that breaker, is it passing power at the breaker.

If it is that narrows down the problem to the 120 volt wire feeding from the subpanel to the junction box. You will have to try and do a visual on the wiring feeding the junction box. In my case the wiring passes through the small basement compartment where the inverter and transfer switch is, you might check it there, there is no ceiling panels in this basement compartment but its a tight fit to crawl and look overhead.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 07:56 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
Bob,
I have a 2002 Windsor PKD, probably very similar to yours.

The front kitchen outlets are fed from the Inverter subpanel. There is a separate breaker for both the outlets and the microwave.

I assume your microwave is working since you say you are getting power on 1 of 2 circuits in the junction box under the kitchen counter.

That narrows it down to the S1 circuit from the inverter sub panel based on my wiring diagram. Have you checked that breaker, is it passing power at the breaker.

If it is that narrows down the problem to the 120 volt wire feeding from the subpanel to the junction box. You will have to try and do a visual on the wiring feeding the junction box. In my case the wiring passes through the small basement compartment where the inverter and transfer switch is, you might check it there, there is no ceiling panels in this basement compartment but its a tight fit to crawl and look overhead.
I will give it a look. Most all of my wires are in wire loom. I looked in the basement at the inverter but did not check for wiring. I did recheck all the main breakers and all of the subpanel breaks and all except the block heater breaker seems to be fine.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:51 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
If you have a multimeter you should be able to check the continuity of the wires from the inverter subpanel to the box under the kitchen counter.

If your comfortable working around electric it pretty simple, Turn breaker off feeding the subpanel, remove the black wire from the breaker. Use a long piece of wire and connect to black wire and then run it to the kitchen cabinet and check the black wire that you weren't getting any power at. Use the ohm meter, if it has full continuity it should read 1 (or close to it). If not it will indicate the wire is broken. Then check the neutral and ground.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 07:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhilton284 View Post
I have a 2001 Monaco Windsor. I have suddenly lost all 120 volt recepticals in the kitchen slide. This include base cabinet receptical, overhead recepticals, overhead receptical above the couch, left driver's side in cabinet receptical, and television cabinet receptacle. I have tessted all breakers and all are pushing 120 volt out. The ground fault breaker trip each time I test them wit the voltage test so I am assuming they are ok as well.

I am stump as to where to look to trace this circuit down to trouble shoot it. I have a junction box under the kitchen cabinet and I can get voltage one one of the two sets wire coming into the box. Needless to say I am starting to get confused as to how to find and fix the problem. Any ideas?
All the outlets you described are on the GFI circuit. Do you have GFI breakers or GFI outlets? Check them with a volt meter. for voltage out.

There is a j-box under the coach at the end of the slide closes to the breaker panel. Romex changes over to rubber cord and goes into the slide to another junction box and turns back into romex. Start there.
Old 03-30-2020, 07:08 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Electric short

I had a similar problem, the ground fault receptacle was tripped every time I set up. I replaced it and it still tripped out each time I set up. I finally found the 120 volt feed on the full wall slide was broken The conductor broke where it came out of the feed tube and turned up into the wall. On mine this is in the middle of the slide.
Old 04-01-2020, 05:08 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
All the outlets you described are on the GFI circuit. Do you have GFI breakers or GFI outlets? Check them with a volt meter. for voltage out.

There is a j-box under the coach at the end of the slide closes to the breaker panel. Romex changes over to rubber cord and goes into the slide to another junction box and turns back into romex. Start there.
Yes I have GFCI breakers. I put a regular 120v tester on them and they trip. I will be taking out the overhead panel in the basement to see what I can see. That is the only place I can figure the problem could be. Thanks.

Tags
electric, electrical, monaco, wind