Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2011, 09:13 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
2002 Diplomat Door Locks-Key won't Open

I ocassionally have a problem with my door locking, even though the lock shows open. Any one had this problem? And who stocks the repair parts?
Thanks
David
Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2011, 08:19 PM   #2
rex

Monaco Owners Club
David, you may need to do some adjustments to the door. Take a look at the attached pictures and PDF.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bottom Latch.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	11014   Click image for larger version

Name:	Center Assembly.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	11015  

Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: pdf handle adjustment.pdf (169.4 KB, 150 views)

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:42 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Mutt....After checking the adjustment above, you can also try what I do once a year. I spray every opening of the lock liberally with WD40 or a lock lubricant. I spray the keyhole inside and out. From the side of the door I spray the bolt. I also spray both latches high and low. Once I spray the heck out of everything, I wipe it up with a cloth and then clean the door panel with Pledge. I clean all of the seals with the Pledge and then tighten all of the screws in the door frame and hinges. This keeps the door working well for at least another year.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:30 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Do you know if the adjustments can be made with out taking the inside door panel off? If I take the screws loose at the top/bottom of the door edge(not at the same time), can the adjustments be made through the opening(s)? I was hoping that I would not have to remove the door from the MH, lay it flat to work on it. I can do it if required. Thanks for any info you may be able to provide.
David
Old 06-09-2011, 06:39 AM   #5
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Mutt here is a picture of the screws to remove.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	door-panel.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	11020  

Old 06-09-2011, 04:08 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
David (Mutt? Really???)

Your description of "door is locked" might include the following (which happened to me)....
My screen door would hold the main door closed as if the door system was locked. After much campsite consternation, I finally found that the little black tab on the main door was loose. This "black tab" is the item in Rex's picture, lowest of all arrows (two arrows). This tab needs to be fully left then tightened with its two screws. This tab holds the two doors together during opening/closing. But if loose, the screen-door's striker is not pulled back enough and the end result is as if the entire door is locked. Hard to explain. But check it out.
or: '08 Buick Lucerne
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:16 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Robi.....In certain leveling conditions, my door would bind and not open properly. I filed gently on where the screen door catches on the frame a couple fo times to no avail. Since the situation only occurred when the front end was way in the air on jacks, I never really looked at the issue. Finally, on Memorial Weekend, I was sitting in my chair, after hearing the door bind again, and took a close look at the screen door catch on the main door...... Darn if that wasn't what the problem. For years, that door has been binding. I guess sometimes the light just finally comes on and you take a closer look.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:24 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I have seen the problem that you speak of occur on a previous MH. Thanks for the "heads up again." I will check that tomorrow, checking for needed adjustments, and lube the door from the inside in lieu of just through the surface openings. Hopefully, the problem can be solved without having to remove the door. Thanks for all your valuable help and suggestions. I made a copy of this discussion and drawings that I will attached to my MH Notebook for current and future use. Take care all, and thanks again. I will let you know how I come out with this adventure.
David
Old 06-11-2011, 06:17 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I took the door panel off and everything seems to be tight. I can't find any loose connect points. The original lube is still on all moving parts and appears to be adequate. Can't figure out what might bind at different times to keep the door/key from turning. As one poster pointed out, the latch handle actually begans to move the linkage rods at the half open point. I will adjust the linkage rods a tad to see if that could possibly be the culprit and add more lube. Thanks again for all suggestions, comments and the PDF file. Take care and happy travels. Also, the screen door Latch/Catch appears to be functioning as designed.
Mutt
Old 06-11-2011, 12:54 PM   #10

Mutt, on our 06 I took the inside cover off and adjusted the locking nuts a turn or so where they pull on the latch mechs (these are the two long rods that go from the lock asym to the uper and lower latches. Even though I did not have any slack/play the latches were not fully opening, . Been about a year now with out any other issues with it. Hope this helps.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:17 PM   #11
rex

Monaco Owners Club
David did you read the PDF I attached above with the pictures? Check it out for adjustments.

Old 06-11-2011, 08:48 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Yes Rex, after my last post, in addition to taking the door panel loose I decided to remove the metal door trim around the door latch edge. The bottom rod is missing a set screw where it attaches to the bottom latch and is really loose on/in the sleeve it goes through. I suppose there was a set screw to help hold the rod tight. There is a threaded hole through the small metal block that the rod goes through, and then there is the locking nut on the bottom of the rod that trips the latch as the door handle to pulled(as mentioned by George in the previous post). I purchased some set screws today,but forgot to get some of the small push on lockwashers that are used to hold the rod ends at the various connection points(they are briddle and break easily). Even though there is very little slack around the door latch itself, I'm going to install some of these washers to help tighten the connection points, as well as try and adjust the nuts on the linkage rods in an effort to increase the latch opening around the door pins. Again, thanks for all the good info and discussion that each of you have had with door hardware/repairs. I suppose I will get back to this job Monday and hopefully get the door latch mechanism working a little better.
Mutt
Old 06-11-2011, 09:01 PM   #13
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Dave in making the adjustments, pay particular attention to the two latches activating at the same point (time) when closing the door. If they don't the door will stick when you try and open it. When opening the door from the outside, if you have to first push on it in order to get it to open, most likely the two latches are not timed together.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:23 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
For those following this post, I think I finally/may have identified the problem with my exterior Door Latch not working with the key. If you will notice the file/PDF presented by Rex(and it is hard to see/identify the exact location of the problem, but it is at the bottom end of the Rod Numbered as 22901199 in the PDF File), when my key starts to turn the tumbler that trips the cam/rod to the upper inside latch handle, there is a looseness in the Door Key latch tumbler. This allows the key part of the latch to move/push to the outside of the door(looking at the door from the inside), thereby creating a small gap between the cam and the tumbler. The mechanism that causes the cam to trip the locked inside door nob, wants to move between the cam and the tumbler inwhich the key is trying to work. This will/is in my case causing a bind at the end of the tumbler by not letting the key turn. My attempt to remedy this is by removing the "C" clip on the inside(door) end of the tumbler, and add a small neoprene washer against the cam(then the "C" clip is reinstalled) to close the gap that is being created between the tumbler, and the cam.
I can just imagine what is going through the minds of those trying to follow this description, but if you have your door apart where you can see the inside, you will see the problem. I'm not sure that a new outside door handle mechanism will cure the problem over time, due to the fact that most of these products are not manufactured to any close specifications. I will however, try and secure a new door handle/lock and replace the old one. Until then, I think this will insure that I don't get locked out in the mean time. Just my experience so far. If anyone has any additional experience that might be of value, or constructive criticism, please feel free to comment. Take care.
Mutt

Tags
door