RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2020, 05:14 PM   #15

Hi again Lpo; On your Imperial you have the Lambert battery maintainer. Should be identified on the diagram on the backside of the rear electrical compartment door. When plugged into shore power or generator running the Lambert charges both the chassis and house batteries. The Lambert has 3 terminals. Middle is ground I think the top is chassis battery and the bottom is the house battery. When plugged into shore power you can measure the voltage going to both batteries from the negative terminal on the Lampert.
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2020, 08:56 PM   #16
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lpo View Post
Ok , the purple wire traces to this relay in the other half of compartment (other photo) Enclosing pics of both relay and original solenoid.
Based on the schematic for the BIRD (black box), the purple wire should indeed be the control wire for the solenoid that combines the battery banks.

Lift that wire off (either place) and put your voltmeter from the output of the BIRD where the purple wire is.

You should see that go positive (close to battery voltage), when you toggle your emergency start button. You may need to have ignition switch on to do that of course.

Assuming this turns out to be the case, the silver solenoid is wired incorrectly and will never function.

You need a ground on the other small terminal. Just like a starter relay, it takes just a ground and voltage to make them engage.

Before you do anything else, sort this out. ALWAYS, fix the obvious first and often other weird issues will clear up.

I highly suspect you have more than one problem which is very common for even experienced techs to encounter. Or to self inflict.

Fix this and report back.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 09:01 PM   #17
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lpo View Post
Yes the purple wire ones to the ground and the right side goes to the batteries. Yes the terminal was empty, I donít think the chassis battery charges when plugged into power.

With it miswired it will not charge both banks.
Old 04-30-2020, 09:04 PM   #18
YC1

Follow the wire from the "Relay" Pin.

That wire drives that silver relay when conditions are right.

Look to the right just a bit and notice the Aux start on the dash button. If that 5 amp fuse or whatever is used on your rv is working then battery voltage through the switch and engages the battery combining solenoid/relay.

That solenoid cannot work without one pin being controlled voltage and the other ground.

I would bet the little black wire that goes to the right has been under the head of a screw holding the solenoid or someplace close by.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Name:	BIRD.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	283682  
Old 04-30-2020, 09:08 PM   #19
YC1

Follow the wire from the "Relay" Pin.

That wire drives that silver relay when conditions are right.

Look to the right just a bit and notice the Aux start on the dash button. If that 5 amp fuse or whatever is used on your rv is working then battery voltage through the switch and engages the battery combining solenoid/relay.

That solenoid cannot work without one pin being controlled voltage and the other ground.

I would bet the little black wire that goes to the right has been under the head of a screw holding the solenoid or someplace close by.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 04-30-2020, 09:19 PM   #20
YC1

"""I also replaced the engine ign relay below the battery maintainer. That clicks when trying to start. The only sound when trying to start that can be heard in engine compartment"""

Pictures please.
Old 05-01-2020, 03:36 PM   #21
Lpo

Coastal Campers
Update

Replaced all 3 7.5 and 1 10 amp fuses . I have power everywhere on dash and gauges . The only remaining issue is Trans shifter pad is not lit and I have a check trans light on with an alarm. Jumped the starter and she runs, but no power to the shifter pad. Unplugged the computer for a couple of minutes to reset but no luck. Is there a way to reset the computer and or shift pad? I appreciate everyone s help so far..., thanks again. When I attached ground wire to solenoid it kept the circuit open all the time. Never found one inline fuse . While running the bus the I was reading 13 volts with seems low, possible damaged the alternator? Any recommendations for diagnostic testing.? Allison transmission....,
Lpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 06:08 PM   #22

Hi Lpo; Continuing to follow your post. Just read your last post about no power to the shift pad. I have read this in the past so don't know if it applies to your Imperial. Others here have written about no power to the shift pad on Monaco/ Holiday Rambler coaches. What they found was to follow the positive wire, supposed to be one from the positive side of the chassis battery to the shift pad, and found an inline fuse buried in the wiring loom away from the battery. It could be close or far from the battery. Just so you know I have read this a number of times over the years here on IVR2. This turned out to be the problem with no power to the shift pad. Might try the search box at the top of this page and put in, no power to shift pad for an Allison MH 3000 transmission and see what info pops up. I guess you could pull the console cover to get to the bottom of the ship pad and check for hot wires there. Sorry, all I can think of at this moment. Keep us informed of your progress. Have a great weekend! Also for the alternator. Connect a volt meter to the positive and negative terminals on the back of the alternator and run the engine up to at least 800+ RPM. You should get at least 14V. If not you may need to take the alternator off and have it tested and if not good I would have it rebuilt. Lots of info out there for our coaches on the alternator.
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 07:39 PM   #23
YC1

""""When I attached ground wire to solenoid it kept the circuit open all the time. """""

What solenoid and what do you mean it kept the circuit open all the time.

IF you mean you grounded the one post of the shiny solenoid by removing the little jumper and putting it to ground then the solenoid did NOT OPEN, it closed, meaning it engaged and the large terminals would be at the same voltage.

As for the alternator. Don't run off and chase that until you have the other things resolved. You may install additional problems.

That voltage could be fine if your batteries have been run down a lot during these times. The starter takes a huge toll on the battery levels and without the engine above idle the voltage may be just fine at idle if the batteries are low.

Are you saying you found several bad fuses???? Where were they located? Pictures would help again.
Old 05-02-2020, 08:57 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
X2 on what 8.3Oilburner said.

If you have no power to the shifter pad check to make sure you hooked up the wire providing power to the transmission circuit.

It could be that the ECU for the transmission has crapped out. Mine did this out of the blue and the rig would not start. I had not done anything mechanical to the coach, just moved it to the street to hook up the toad and it wouldn't start. Checked all the obvious stuff and finally decided it was the ECU. Unfortunately the local Allison shop was short handed and would not send out a tech, had to have my rig towed. They had to replace the ECU, reprogram the replacement and had to write a check for $3500 >>>Yikes.

You can remove and send the ECU to have it checked but it's a long shot that is your problem.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 09:19 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
The engine will not start if the shift pad isnít illuminated. On my coach, just removing and reconnecting the connectors to the pad solved the problem. I donít know if the connectors are corroded, or if removing them just removes power and resets the ECM. It happens to me every once in a while. Iíd remove the connectors and see if you have power and troubleshoot from there.

When I first had the shift pad issue, I was able to start the engine by jumping the starter relay, which was easily accessible on my rig, so I knew it wasnít a starter issue, but the transmission pad still didnít light so I couldnít move. Luckily searching this forum led me to the shift pad solution. I treated the contacts with DeOxIt hoping that would fix the problem, but every once in a while the pad wonít light- sometimes just turning the key again will fix it, other times Iíve had to remove the pad connectors, which always works for me. Letís hope you didnít fry the ECM! Good luck!

Walt
photopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 09:55 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Attached is a 2002 chassis wiring diagram for my Windsor but also for your Imperial. You might be able to use it to trace power supply to the transmission. If there are any relays preventing power it will show this. If there is a fuse it will show it but it will not show where it is.

Once you open the PDF is will be blurry, use the CTRL5 button and it will clear up. You will have to zoom to ~800% to be able to see. I also use the search function to trace a circuit once you learn what the key words are.

You should be able to test to make sure power is getting the transmission ECU and then to the shifter.

You may want to post in the Allision Transmission group which should increase your viewing audience.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2002 Windsor Chassis Wiring Diagram.pdf (183.0 KB, 12 views)
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 10:03 PM   #27

Check the fuse for your Engine ECU if blown the sensors allowing the ECU to initiate engine start (crankshaft position sensor come to mind) will not be operating and ECU will not crank the engine

Tags
holiday rambler