Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2020, 04:57 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
2002 HR Endeavor 8.3 Cummins starter relay location

Have been having an issue with starter "run on" after engine start. not all the time, but when it does act up volt gauge reads 12v instead of 13.9v until starter decides to disengage then all is fine and volt gauge assumes 13.9v.
It will usually stop engagement after 20-30 seconds and then voltage goes back to normal 13.9 v reading with no load.

Have had starter rebuilt with all new parts (non china parts is what I was told?)
new ignition switch Echlin, new Leese-Neville 160 amp, new continuous duty solenoid, cleaned all contact points for negative and positive contacts.
New Alt checked at alt 13.91 v, all batteries new and fully charged etc.

Starter will crank the engine and it starts immediately, but some times it continues to"crank" after it starts. I can start it with remote start switch at starter 20 times and no "run on". So I believe the issue is between batteries and ign switch.

Thats why I am trying to locate the Relay for starter motor as I suspect I have some sticking relay contacts??

thanks in advance
R J Sledge
Semper Fi
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2020, 06:59 PM   #2

Its powered from the batteries, so its back between the battery box and starter motor.

Disconnect the " S " terminal from the starter mounted solenoid. Don't let it touch ground. That disables the starter.

Now have someone keep turning the key to start, while you listen for the lost solenoid clicking on and off. Follow the sound.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 11:24 AM   #3

If you look in the compartment where the inverter is you should have a black plastic cover attached to the top and back of the compartment. Remove the cover and you will see at least 3 solenoids. Two of them are for the grid heaters and the smaller solenoid gets it's signal from the ignition key and the out put from this start solenoid goes to the starter solenoid mounted on the starter. George
Old 08-23-2020, 11:53 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
My grid heater solenoid are located above the engine on a crossmember. You can see them if you remove the floor access door and look toward the front of the coach.

My relay looks like this, I have 3 of these since I have an auxiliary start option where I can start the engine from the rear

https://rvpartsexpress.com/product/white-rodgers/
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 05:34 PM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Up date on "run on" issue

Well I finally found the Relay in question thanks to you guys, especially "86 Cavalcade" I checked it all out and found I could jump the Relay with my remote start, so I knew i had found the Relay for the starter.

Tried to find a new one locally today (Sunday) no luck, figured I would order one from somebody Monday. While I was still chasing rabbits I ran across somebody's post about cleaning the silver contacts on the Relay. Low and behold the contacts were "marked" up a little, so took some 1000 grit sandpaper and cleaned them up but it back together and I've started it about 10-12 times and no "run On" and have my 14 v back showing on my volt gauge in dash.

Don't want to say its fixed yet, but its starts every time with no issue.

Thanks again and Thanks again!
R J Sledge
Semper FI

I've seen the prices on White-Rodgers 120-105851 Relays from $16.00 to $50.00 is this still a good number or is there a upgrade??

Tags
cat, cummins, endeavor, starter