Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2023, 11:31 AM   #1

2002 Monaco dynasty brake parts

I have just purchased a 2002 Monaco Dynasty 42’ tag and need to do the front brake pads, rotors and inner seals. Would anyone have the part numbers for those items? One rotor is still good, is it recommended to change both out?
I am also looking for recommendations whether to stay with grease in the wheel bearings or to switch to oil?
My rear brakes are all about 90% on all 4 however there are no backing plates, would anyone know the part number for those? TIA
Papa Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2023, 12:34 PM   #2

Hi Papa Terry; A friend of mine last year who has an 05 Monaco Camelot found a crack in one of his rotors when he had new tires installed. He shopped around, were here in the Seattle/Tacoma area, and found a shop over in Bremerton, Wa. to do the work. A place to start would be to get the info off the metal I.D. tag on the front axle itself. Not sure if your Dynasty has the same axle as my friends Camelot, but the rotors were almost impossible to find. Most are Bendix. The only 2 rotors that could be found were in Mexico City, south of the border. There were none in the U.S. Almost sounds crazy as these axles are out there in heavy duty trucks. I wish I had some part numbers for you. Maybe someone else has the info you need. Hopefully you will have better luck in finding parts, but I would start with the axle I.D. tag and call some heavy-duty truck shops in your area and hope you have some success. Let us know what happen in your search and good luck! Also there are no backing plates for the drum brakes on these heavy duty axles. Most owners who are ready for a bearing repack just have the shop switch to the oil bath as the coast to convert is about the same as a repack. The choice is kind of up to you. I like the oil bath myself.
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 01:10 PM   #3

The calipers are a bendix 225 on the 2004. Haldex makes them ( who bendix owns now) for 1/4 the price.
I don’t think there are backing plates on rear brakes. The brakes are there and mounted, what would you use backing plates for? I agree on converting to oil bath. I know I will wish I had come next time due.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1000009974.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	390927  
Old 04-21-2023, 01:37 PM   #4

https://www.fleetequipmentmag.com/ha...brake-caliper/

My front axle is a spicer E1460-W
Wheel seal numbers are 3700001A
Gasket is 330-3024
But those 2 part numbers are from Montana peterbuilt, they are off a receipt.

https://www.wheelco.com/stemco_hub_o...tem_3895_69920

Numbers seem good, that outfit had the change over hub covers for going to oil bath as well.
Old 04-21-2023, 02:38 PM   #5

Thanks for the response! The rear brake inner backing plates or dust covers just keep the road grime out of the brakes but I hope to stay away from winter driving so I am sure it will be fine to run without the covers.

The Bendix calipers look like mine and 1/4 the price sounds good I’ll call the local parts store and see what we can come up with hopefully we can find a rotor. I think when greasing the calipers you need to release the pressure by removing a screw or the brakes will drag which probably caused mine to go bad.
Papa Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 02:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Terry View Post
Thanks for the response! The rear brake inner backing plates or dust covers just keep the road grime out of the brakes but I hope to stay away from winter driving so I am sure it will be fine to run without the covers.

The Bendix calipers look like mine and 1/4 the price sounds good I’ll call the local parts store and see what we can come up with hopefully we can find a rotor. I think when greasing the calipers you need to release the pressure by removing a screw or the brakes will drag which probably caused mine to go bad.
There are no dust covers. Forget everything you know about car brakes. The adjusters on these are a 5/16 iirc. You tighten them up then back off a few turns. They have a shear off on the adjuster. Mine was stuck on the rt front and it required a whole new caliper. Found the adjuster separately in china for 50$ but 50 was the minimum number to buy. Do some specific reading on these before working on them.

Tags
brake, monaco, monaco dynasty, parts