Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-29-2020, 08:00 AM   #1

2002 Monaco - Is this the Spool Valve under the Hydraulic Fan?

Is this the Spool Valve mounted under the fan motor that I have circled in yellow?
Also, Where would the Switching Valve be?

This is a cooling fan setup on a 2002 Monaco.

Thank you,
Tony
UV Owners is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-29-2020, 09:16 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Tony,
I did a search and found this
https://www.centralstatesbus.com/wp-...s/a3hydfan.pdf
This appears to be very close to the circuit I have, it does show the function of the fan motor control block.

I do not know if I have a Charge Air Cooler override in my circuit.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 10:45 AM   #3

Jim,

As always, thank you so much for all your help.
I'll take a look at it.

As you already know. I received a price and was ready to buy the stuff.
But I wanted to wait, until I was able to find good descriptions with pictures of the individual components - to be sure this is what I am ordering and will be getting.

I want to get it right and do it only once, due to the dollar exchange rate and shipping cost.
I hate to have to place a second order. Grin

Off to see what you found and to look it all over.

Tony
PS. I got a quote, of $1,500, from one place to have them make a radiator. I'm looking into 3 places in total.
Old 02-29-2020, 11:06 AM   #4

I did take a quick look at the link you provide.
A lot of good info and helpful schematics.

I wonder if what they refer to as the Fan Motor Control Valve on Page 7, Figure 6, is the same thing as what you and others might call the Spool Valve?

I'm guessing it is. But I need to be sure and more so: when ordering parts that can be found on different coaches.

But then were does the Switching Valve come into play?
Where would I find it on your coach and is it part of the Spool Valve or if that is the same as the Fan Motor Control Valve where is the Switching valve?

Back to more reading... Grin

Tony
Old 02-29-2020, 11:18 AM   #5

Jim,

Does your coach use the same Hydraulic pump for the PS too? (Like found on Page 3, Figure 1 of the link you just shared)
Old 02-29-2020, 11:31 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Not 100% sure but here is a thread that suggests it is.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/200...ng-205605.html
The pump part number is the same that my coach has, see attached parts page. It only lists one hydraulic pump on my data card.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1 Steering Gear Pump.pdf (50.6 KB, 30 views)
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 05:42 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
All of our Monaco coaches have used one hydraulic pump to run the fan and power steering. However, I have seen some of the coaches use a small second pump to run just the power steering. It almost seems redundant.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 07:56 PM   #8

Mine has two lines hooked to the valve you have circled in yellow. I have heard that valve referred to as a pilot valve - so probably the same thing as the switching valve. It is a series circuit, it comes out of the pilot valve to the wax valve, out of the wax valve to an electric solenoid valve, and back to the pilot valve. The electric solenoid valve on mine is controlled by the fan clutch output from the ECM. I have two fans - only one has this control valve. the other small fitting coming straight out the back just returns to the hydraulic reservoir.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5595.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	358.7 KB
ID:	276605   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5596.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	291.0 KB
ID:	276606  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5597.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	250.3 KB
ID:	276607  
Old 03-03-2020, 06:53 AM   #9

Thank you everyone.

Another morning / day with a c(__) of hot tea and rereading some post, yet again. Grin

Kurt, I'm also taking another look at your 2 fan setup.
I was curious. By the design of the fan blades and how they attach; are your fans reversible?
My guess is no. However, heavy equipment reversible fans look similar to yours and pivot in the middle where yours are flared.

Tony
Old 03-03-2020, 08:22 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
All of our Monaco coaches have used one hydraulic pump to run the fan and power steering. However, I have seen some of the coaches use a small second pump to run just the power steering. It almost seems redundant.
During my research I found out that the 2 stage hydraulic pumps used to operate the cooling fan(s) and the PS will use one section or stage for the fans and another for the PS itself.
The one for the PS will provide 4+gpm to the PS and then return back to the storage tank.

I try to ONLY post when I know that I have something helpful to add.
Hopefully someday this might be helpful to someone - here is a link to what I wrote in another thread about hard to use PS..
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/200...ml#post5170493

Tags
monaco, fan, hydraulic, valve