RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2020, 03:35 PM   #1

2002 Monaco Safari Sahara model 3756 input needed

Going to take a look at 2002 Monaco Safari Sahara model 3756 with Roadmaster chassis Cummins engine(not sure which hp) advice/opinions? Side note: Reading other posts I saw several reference to buying or looking at PPL lots. Who’s PPL and why look/buy there? Thanks again, “Nuts”
nuts4soccer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2020, 03:57 PM   #2

www.pplmotorhomes.com Dealer and consignment seller, 3 locations in TX.
Old 02-25-2020, 05:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
www.pplmotorhomes.com Dealer and consignment seller, 3 locations in TX.
Thanks
nuts4soccer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 09:00 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Look at the bottom corners of the slide outs for separation and rot.
Old 02-26-2020, 09:19 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Just remember that the odds that the first or second MH that you look at is as nice as you want it to be is slim. Don't go looking at a particular MH thinking that you'll soon be buying it. Be overly critical.
Pictures are nice but nothing like looking in person. Many MH's can be eliminated in just seconds when looking in person.
I've personally eliminated a whole manufacturer by just looking at a couple in person. I won't say which one but certain things become apparent when you start looking in person.
Monaco's, HR, have several years that were prone to slide leaks. I still love Monaco's and wouldn't hesitate to buy the right one after looking in person.

In the last couple of weeks I've been to a couple of the PPL lots and I love being able to look without any pressure. Don't forget that many of the PPL MH's are there because of the 3 D's. Death, divorce, or debt. An honest (IMO) saleswoman that we found last month told us that about consignment and I've found it to be true at PPL. I looked at a foretravel last weekend at PPL that was immaculate.
Good luck.

2007 Monaco Diplomat 40 PDQ
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 02:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts4soccer View Post
Going to take a look at 2002 Monaco Safari Sahara model 3756 with Roadmaster chassis Cummins engine(not sure which hp) advice/opinions? Side note: Reading other posts I saw several reference to buying or looking at PPL lots. Who’s PPL and why look/buy there? Thanks again, “Nuts”
Which Roadmaster chassis?
The RR4R has had dangerous failures with trailing arms on the rear axle breaking. The later RR8R and RR8S chassis didn't have those problems.
Source Engineering has produced a kit with much sturdier construction that is highly regarded. The price 3 years ago was in the neighborhood of $5,000, IIRC.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 04:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL420 View Post
Which Roadmaster chassis?
The RR4R has had dangerous failures with trailing arms on the rear axle breaking. The later RR8R and RR8S chassis didn't have those problems.
Source Engineering has produced a kit with much sturdier construction that is highly regarded. The price 3 years ago was in the neighborhood of $5,000, IIRC.
Please note this only applies to one chassis that Monaco/ Safari used. They used a total of 4 different chassis models for this coach. I know because I have the coach in question. This is a quote from another forum on the subject.

"The recall affects Rear Suspension Trailing Arms ONLY ON THE R4R and RR4R CHASSIS with the "Monaco Gold" or sometimes referred to as "R-Way" suspension. It is an in-house copy of the Neway suspension. It does NOT include any suspension systems made by Neway or Reyco.
The recalled R-Way arm goes UNDER the rear axle and is made of 3" square tubing. They are on either side in the rear. The rear air bag is bolted to the rear/back end of the trailing arm. The center of the trailing arm is bolted to the rear axle with a large u-bolt and plates and the front is bolted to the frame. The cracks happen on the upper or lower portion of the center of the trailing arm where the u-bolt holds it to the axle.
You can identify the Reyco rear suspension (NOT AFFECTED BY THE RECALL) by the trailing arms that go over the axle rather than under."

I just wanted to make sure the right information got out for an informed choice.
Safari3756 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco