RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2014, 09:24 PM   #1

2002 Monaco windsor power steering

Has anyone had problems with their power steering, Steering started getting hard so I replaced the filters and fluid with no change. Local Rv store doesn't work on steering can someone steer me in the right direction . Thanks
BamBam545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2014, 10:03 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
No rv place is going to do chassis work. If you trust them, get a recommendation of a mechanic you could go to; if you were in the St Louis area I have the name of a great mechanic, but odds are you are not. The next step, if you want to keep doing this yourself is to change out the power steering pump, I have never had one go bad, but it is possible.
Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 11:12 AM   #3

Hard steering

On my 1999 Windsor the last person that had service the hydraulic filters had also replaced the exit hose that goes to the hydraulic pump. They cut the hose in a little too long (1.5 inches). I had the coach four two years before it started to show but it slowly kinked and pinched off the supply to the pump resulting in low pressure and flow. Cut hose and away it went with perfect steering again.

Hope this simple fix is the she for you.
hwbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 03:58 PM   #4

PS

I had the coupler between the fan and power sterring pump shift ( internal roll pin broken ) and PS stopped working,. Several times before the PS was acting intermittant before it stopped all together.. Hyrd pump on mine has 2 sections one fan the other power steering

99 Windsor
Old 08-06-2017, 02:50 PM   #5

RE: Hard Steering

Hi. I know this is an old thread, but we are having the same issue. Hard to steer. I have been looking everywhere on a schematic of this drive line on the roadmaster, so that we know exactly how the power steering is installed. We too have the 2002 Monaco Windsor on a roadmaster chassis.

No one around here can service the power steering (we are very rural). Need to know at least where the gear box is, does it have a power steering belt anywhere we need to be looking for?. What type of fluid should we be adding/replacing with? PIctures would be awesome if anyone is willing with the same chassis and config of where to look for issues.

Any help is wonderful. Appreciate it!

Thank you!!!!!
Old 08-06-2017, 05:17 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

You need to find a truck shop that services Roadmaster chassis'! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 06:12 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sburge View Post
Hi. I know this is an old thread, but we are having the same issue. Hard to steer. I have been looking everywhere on a schematic of this drive line on the roadmaster, so that we know exactly how the power steering is installed. We too have the 2002 Monaco Windsor on a roadmaster chassis.

No one around here can service the power steering (we are very rural). Need to know at least where the gear box is, does it have a power steering belt anywhere we need to be looking for?. What type of fluid should we be adding/replacing with? PIctures would be awesome if anyone is willing with the same chassis and config of where to look for issues.

Any help is wonderful. Appreciate it!

Thank you!!!!!
Is the engine cool raidiator fan running ok, the same hydro pump runs the radiator fan that furnishes the fluid to the power steering, you do have 2 or 3 (CRS) filters in your hydro tank they are Nelson 83213D or NAPA 1487 sock filters 10 micron , when the lid comes off of the tank but be sure to take it easy as the large O ring can be stuck and is expensive and hard to find , remove the wing nut and fish out the filters with a coat hanger replace the top and refill. Some were filled with AW46 light yellow and some with Dexron lll light red some with Diesel engine oil 15/40 , you will have to figure out what you have .
If your pump is running the fan good then it's not a plugged filter and probably a bad steering gear. If you decide to change the steering gear be sure to look at the thread replacing the Shepard M100 with a TRW as most Monaco coaches has these gears.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 06:47 PM   #8

Good afternoon Sburge; I agree with Walt2137. On my 01 Windsor with the ISC Cummins, the best I can tell is that the High Pressure hydraulic hose leaves the hydraulic pump and heads up to the steering gear that is located right below the steering Colum. If you slide out your generator you can look in and down to you right to see the steering gear box. The return line then leaves the steering gear and heads back to the rear of the coach through the frame to some where in the engine compartment. This return line I have not readily been able to locate. All your hydraulics come from the pump attached to the curb side of the engine. The hyd. pump is located aft of the starter motor. The pump is driven directly off the engine, no belt. I replaced my fluid and filters last year. Almost took 5 gallons of Dextron ATF fluid. Have you checked the level of the hydraulic tank with the dip stick in the top of the tank? Also has this problem come on slowly or happened suddenly? My data sheet shows my pump as a SAUER Model# B5501-36844-136-160. I was told by my local Freightliner shop to make sure you keep the hydraulic fluid clean as the SAUER pump can fail with dirty or contaminated fluid. Not sure if anything I mentioned is your problem. Just trying to get you as much information as possible. By the way, when you check the fluid level in the hyd. tank, use a white paper towel. You might be able to tell what kind of fluid you have in your hyd. tank. Red color should be ATF. You are probably going to need the service of a good heavy duty truck shop if you need to repair the hyd. pump or the steering box. I see you are in Grand Coulee so you might need a trip to Spokane unless you know of a local shop. Hope some of this info helps. Good luck and let us know what the final fix is. Just checked my service records and I put 15.5 quarts of Dexron III back into the hyd. tank during change. If you need the part# for the O-ring for the hyd. tank cover, I can get that from a friend who got all the parts because we changed our hydraulic tanks at the same time and he got all the parts.
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 09:45 AM   #9

Good morning Sburge

Welcome to IRV2
Hopefully you have checked the fluid level .
If you haven't that may be you problem .
If low fluid is your problem I would look for and repair any leaks before
changing the filters and fluid .

If your Windsor is like my 03 Windsor you have a round tank
located just inside the engine opening on the drivers side
This tank is approx 8 " diam x maybe 15" tall , there is a dip
stick on top
You need to unscrew it just a little bit in order to pull it out ,
don't try to unscrew it all the way or the dip stick will might fall inside .

I replaced my hydraulic pump because it was leaking .
( it operates the fan and power steering )
I first took it to a local hydraulic repair shop but they had massive
caterpillar like machines everywhere and didn't seem very interested
in my little strange looking pump , really couldn't blame them .
Next I located a used one at one of the RV salvage co for $ 1100 .
and almost ordered it but farther searching I found a new pump at
Northwest RV supply for $ 600 , they sent me pictures and it was
an exact perfect fit .
The pump bolts to the pass side of the engine , it is on about the same
level as the starter .
The pump is toward the rear of the coach the starter toward the front
Its quite easy to spot by the large rubber hoses attached to it .
Good luck and please keep us posted .

Ray Davis
03 Windsor PST
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 05:58 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
The last couple of replies are right on. I just replaced my filters and fluid last week. I work for a hydl. mfg and what most of the Monaco coaches have is the Sauer Danfoss units. They are still available, but they have to come out of Spain. 16 week lead time and even the Saurer distributors I know don't stock them. I talked with an engineer at Monaco and he said they don't carry them and have to order them. They are pretty pricey so the manual says to change filters and fluid every 15,000 miles or once a year. With filters and draining the tank trans cooler and cracking some lines to let out old fluid, mine took 6 gals of ATF fluid (Dextron-!!-red color). Hope this helps.
Poormarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 09:06 AM   #11

Now I know this is an old post and that the person who started this thread only posted once.

But I'm posting the following info to help those in the future with stiff or hard to use PS.

FYI - I'm a retired ASE and US Army mechanic.
I don't have first hand knowledge of Monaco MHs.
However, A lot of things that apply to cars/trucks will also apply to RVs.

What I've read thus far about how some of the Hydraulic pumps work.
One section of the 2 stage pump operates the cooling fan(s) and another section or part of the same pump operates the PS, by providing 4+gpm of fluid to the PS circuit.

As to PS getting harder to steer or use.
Simplest thing to check first = Low fluid
Dirty fluid = I've *flushed PS systems and had them return to normal
Worn out PS gear box
Not likely = But it can happen - The inner part of a hose can collapse and restrict the flow without it being noticeable to the eye. This is known to happen with brake hoses and will keep the one brake applied (with the bad hose) long after you let off the brake pedal, because the fluid is not able to return back to the MC after one lets off the brake pedal.
A similar kind of thing happens with PS.

* Flush PS - I've only done this on cars and trucks and NOT on a MH with a hydraulic setup as they have and with that much fluid.
Anyways, I would drain the old PS fluid.
Remove the return line, from the PS gear box, and plug the tank or reservoir where the return line went.
Fill with new fluid
Have someone start the vehicle and be READY to shut it off fast, while you direct the end of the return hose or line into a large bucket. (Wear eye protection)
Have them turn the steering wheel to one side while it runs for only a couple of seconds IF that. (Remember the system on a Monaco will push 4+GPM and it also needs to operate the cooling fans WITHOUT running that circuit dry.)
Top of PS fluid and repeat step above, but this time turn the steering wheel to the opposite side and keep doing this until you see nice clean new fluid.
Replace the return hose or line and top off fluid.
NOTE: I would do this when the engine is cold and thus the cooling fan(s) should not kick on with most coaches.

IMPORTANT:
Never use a paper towel to check Hydraulic fluid levels or wipe fittings down, before putting things back together.
It only takes a tiny piece of a paper towel, to get into the Hydraulic system, to cause you lots of headaches down the road.

BTW - I worked on 6x6 and tanks with Hydraulic systems and it was a BIG no no to use paper towels. Grin
UV Owners is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco, power, steering