RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2016, 02:37 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
2002 Signature drop down TV

The main tv in our RV- in the drop down panel is an older Sony model monitor - suddenly it will not turn on. There is a standby light that flashes 6 times then the monitor shuts off. Says to call Sony- I tried but they don't seem to take care of this old model any longer. Thinking it is a fan type to keep it from overheating, though I am not certain. Hard to get it looked at at a local repair as it is installed in a big old bus! Not easy to remove then replace just to have it looked at. Question is- rather than spending $$$$ to fix this old monitor, has anyone replaced with a new TV? Husband is concerned about vibration that an newer tv isn't meant to handle. Anyone else replace their tv?

Marianne
2002 Monaco Signature

mernmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2016, 03:08 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mernmb View Post
The main tv in our RV- in the drop down panel is an older Sony model monitor - suddenly it will not turn on. There is a standby light that flashes 6 times then the monitor shuts off. Says to call Sony- I tried but they don't seem to take care of this old model any longer. Thinking it is a fan type to keep it from overheating, though I am not certain. Hard to get it looked at at a local repair as it is installed in a big old bus! Not easy to remove then replace just to have it looked at. Question is- rather than spending $$$$ to fix this old monitor, has anyone replaced with a new TV? Husband is concerned about vibration that an newer tv isn't meant to handle. Anyone else replace their tv?

Marianne
2002 Monaco Signature

We full time in an '03 Sig. Our 42" plasma in the drop down suffered the same failure about 3 years ago. The model is obsolete and we replaced with a 40" Samsung LCD/LED/3D. It's much lighter and produces much less heat than the old Sony.

No problem so far.

Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 08:09 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Easy! Just take the flat panel off the back of the TV swing down. Take out the 1/2 bolts that screw into the back of the TV. Measure the size of the space left when old TV is removed. Go to Costco and buy a flat screen that fits the opening. If you're lucky like I was the mounting bolts holes are the same. Plug everything in and you're done.

At least thats how it worked for my '04 SIG TV replacement.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 08:17 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just buy a new one. Tech is changing so fast that repairing a flat screen is like trying to find parts for an old dodge 413. One can do it but they are usually used and very unreliable due to the used parts that one must install to make it work. Take the old one and set it up in the garage and use it for rubber suction cup dart practice! Remember those????
Old 05-08-2016, 12:38 PM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I agree with the others.... It will be more hassle and money than it is worth to fix the old one. I replaced my 37 inch lcd tv in my coach with a 42 inch led tv. New led is much lighter and used half the electricity as the old one.... Great picture too!

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Sheriffbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 03:03 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
This was our solution!

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/the-...ne-136185.html
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 07:32 PM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mernmb View Post

Marianne
2002 Monaco Signature
There won't be anything 'special' about that factory Sony, that makes it handle jolts and vibration better than any other new tv.
Plasma wouldn't be my choice for the MH. They use a lot of power, and put out a lot of heat.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:23 PM   #8

We were able to install a 50 inch flat panel in our drop down. It came with a 42 inch Sony . But much space was used up for speakers, and big frame. 50 inch makes for fine HD viewing.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:30 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
We had ours replaced our 37" Sharp TV with a 50" Samsung Smart TV that fit perfectly on the drop down. Now we can stream movies straight to the TV from campground WIFI or our IPhones. Mounting holes matched up just right. The installer also ran two HDMI cables and reused the cables to view the Aladdin on that TV. Also replaced the 20" bedroom TV with a 32" Samsung that makes watching in bed much better......

Dave

djhinds is offline   Reply With Quote