Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2014, 07:02 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
2002 Vacationer

I'm looking at a 2002 Vacationer 36DBD.

After reading some complaints on the internet I'm having second thoughts about considering the HR.

Brakes. It seems some have continued to have problems even after the recall is done.

Trailer hitch/tail section. A recall because it needed to be reinforced.

Frame. A recall to reinforce the frame.

Does anyone know if my concern is warranted?

Thanks for any input.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2014, 08:44 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Workhorse chassis?
Any complaints would be overblown. Drive it. If it drives good then it's probly fine. I have had not one single issue with mine. Caliper recall was done. All a non-issue.

Maybe some owners can report issues they've had.

I posted some buying suggestions on a similar question here....different model but similar chassis and vintage: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/thou...5u-196919.html

Didn't the Vactioner have aluminum side walls? One of them in that vintage did. They were nice motorhomes.
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:53 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
2002 Vacationer

Thanks CJ. I think it does have aluminum sides. I am going tomorrow to take a closer look at it.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:38 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I always liked the aluminum sides, they had a nice slick finished look, even with the rivets. I recall a sales guy telling me the unit had fiberglass sides so I asked what the rivets were then? More song and dance. What an idiot. I had a 78 Georgie Boy with aluminim smooth sides and it was over 20 years old and looked great. Except that it had pink and purple stripes and said 'SWINGER' across the back. Wifey called it the 'shaggin' waggin' LOL. It was embarrasing. Great old coach though with a 440 dodge chassis.

Aluminum siding is suceptible to corrosion perforation if the roof leaks. Watch for bubbling paint or water damage on the inside - LOOK IN EVERY COMPARTMENT. Look over the exterior siding carefully for any corrosion or pin holes. The only way to fix this is with panel replacement. Sheet aluminum is easy to get and easy to work with so it's do-able, but best to avoid a unit that has leaked. If it's straight and clean it can easily be refinished - pretty much any rig in this vintage that hasn't been stored indoors will probably at least need a good buff out or some refinishing, sometimes new decals. A lot of them got repainted - or painted graphics and clear coated. Just check out the exterior for deterioration.

I don't recall what HR/Monaco did for roofs - in that vintage you had the rubber roofs on fleetwoods and fiberglass caps on winnies. My preference is for a fiberglass roof. But rubber isn't the end of the world. Still best to check that out too - bring tennies and climb up on the roof and check it out.
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 02:33 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
2002 Vacationer

I won't be buying the Vacationer.

I went to the dealer last Saturday and he said it would be at least a week before he had it ready to sell. He was putting new carpet in it.

Went back this morning and was told it would be 3 to 4 weeks before it was ready, maybe longer. I told him I could change my schedule and work with them for two weeks. Salesman said they would get somebody to buy it when it was ready. They were not concerned about my time line.

Thanks for the input anyway.

Jerry
Old 03-31-2014, 06:48 AM   #6

I just came across this thread. I had a 2003 HR Vacationer on a Workhorse. Never a problem with anything. I only sold it to upgrade to a DP.
Still Workin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:50 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks. I am looking at a 2001 Imperial now.

Tags
cat