Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2021, 05:01 PM   #1

2003 Dynasty CAC and condenser replacement

Well the dreaded leaking CAC issue got me. Had a very noticeable drop in power climbing hills on my last trip out. After reading a few threads on here I pulled grill off the side mount cooling stack and decided I would spray down the charge air cooler with some soap and water. Just over idle and the rear section had bubbles everywhere.

Figured no better time then now so this morning I took about 3 hours and got it dropped. Radiator looks great, but the condenser has a bunch of rust on it and looks suspect. Figure I might as well replace that at the same time.

Is CG&J still the goto for a replacement CAC? My end tank is rusted and I would rather just install a whole new unit. Any and all help or or thoughts is welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3942.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	251.4 KB
ID:	326914   Click image for larger version

Name:	64158417757__D9B95846-2D56-4E7A-BD9A-EAFF990C995B.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	241.0 KB
ID:	326915  

Name:	IMG_3928 2.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	490.3 KB
ID:	326916  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2021, 09:37 PM   #2

Hi r3myer; Ouch! Sorry I don't have info on the CAC, but on the dash A/C condenser, I think that rust is just on the steel framing that hold the fins and tubing. I would think that would have no affect on the tubing from the picture. I would just remove the rust and put some of that POR paint on the steel framing to prevent further corrosion. One thing nice is the condenser is first inline so if there is a problem you don't have it hidden behind anything. Just my 2 cents and I am sure someone here has that info on the CAC.

Just curious. Did you notice a drop on your boost gauge in the dash?
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 11:46 PM   #3

Ohh man I was just looking at mine today thinking it looks tired and rusty. Is this a sign of a future project for me?? Good luck and keep sharing pics please!
nbluesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 05:22 AM   #4

Rightstuffer found this shop and got his stack rebuilt for less than half of what one normally costs. He made a very detailed blog of a post with parts, vids, pics. They said to mention the forum . IDK your location or shipping details/costs or if they do that. I believe it was somewhat local to him. I bookmarked the shop. From homepage...Proudly serving Ft. Worth, TX since 1928
https://www.normanradiators.com/auto...caAm4xEALw_wcB
153stars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 07:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8.3Oilbuner View Post
Hi r3myer; Ouch! Sorry I don't have info on the CAC, but on the dash A/C condenser, I think that rust is just on the steel framing that hold the fins and tubing. I would think that would have no affect on the tubing from the picture. I would just remove the rust and put some of that POR paint on the steel framing to prevent further corrosion. One thing nice is the condenser is first inline so if there is a problem you don't have it hidden behind anything. Just my 2 cents and I am sure someone here has that info on the CAC.

Just curious. Did you notice a drop on your boost gauge in the dash?
Im in AZ so having a working AC is a must. In my last coach a 98 Windsor my compressor clutch went out on the way home last July. Even with the gen running and the AC on the front drivers area got really hot. All that glass is like being in a green house. Was not fun. Just figured if I am ordering a CAC I am sure that same company will have that condenser.

To answer your question about the drop in boost the answer is yes. There were 6 of us in a caravan heading to Moab Utah. Just out side of AZ is 2 really good climbs. I was catching a buddy in his 315hp Monaco Knight and was going to pass him. This is a new to me coach and it normally boosts 24psi. I have the scan gauge D and I had sudden reduction in boost to 20-23psi and it felt like a dog. I think it popped or cracked open on the way up the hill. I had also just put a lift pump on so first thought something was wrong with that. When we hit our first fuel stop I found lots of rust from the tank in the AirDog prescreen. When we got to Moab I ordered some fuel filters and did a swap thinking fuel was my issue. It was not.
Old 05-02-2021, 08:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
Rightstuffer found this shop and got his stack rebuilt for less than half of what one normally costs. He made a very detailed blog of a post with parts, vids, pics. They said to mention the forum . IDK your location or shipping details/costs or if they do that. I believe it was somewhat local to him. I bookmarked the shop. From homepage...Proudly serving Ft. Worth, TX since 1928
https://www.normanradiators.com/auto...caAm4xEALw_wcB
Thanks for the info. I called around on Friday price shopping but didn't get far because I didn't have a part number or the exact measurements yet. This morning I went out and took a closer look at the CAC and I actually think the steel inner gasket flange thingy is what gave out. My tanks look to be in good shape so I think a recore is now a better way to go. Really depends on cost and time. Found the part number sticker on the top. Its a Radiator Specialties inc RS-4613 which they list for $$2921. Would be great to get this fixed locally as I am sure shipping it is not going to be cheap.

I have to confirm on Monday but I think this is CG&J's BT-1207B which they list for $1638.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3930.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	339.8 KB
ID:	326991   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3946.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	631.2 KB
ID:	326992  

Name:	IMG_3947.jpg
Size:	519.2 KB
ID:	326993   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3948 2.jpg
Size:	852.1 KB
ID:	326994  

Old 05-02-2021, 09:54 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
When I had road debris take out my radiator (covered under insurance), I took the time to have the CAC checked. At that time I had no reason to believe I had a problem as my boost pressure seemed within specs of what is reported on IRV2.

So I took the CAC to a local shop that does work for large equipment maintenance. I thought it would be OK, got a call and they said it was shot. Being skeptical I went to the shop and they submerged the CAC in the a vat and put air to it, it looked like a Jaccuzi tub with all the bubbles. They ended up sending it off to a different rebuild shop, cost ~$1650.
I did buy my radiator from CG&J. cost was $2600 in 2015, give them a call, if they've done a Dynasty of your age they should have drawings.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 06:40 AM   #8

ok how did you get that CAC out w/o dropping the radiator?

2004 Monaco Dynasty
Burgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 07:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgy View Post
ok how did you get that CAC out w/o dropping the radiator?
I took off both lower brackets that hold the fiberglass into place. Removed all the failing shroud rubber. The metal shroud is two pieces. Its bolted on the bottom and then runs up the sides and is riveted to the top piece which is bolted to the top of the CAC. I used a sharp chisel and removed the rivets and then pulled the lower piece away from it and out the bottom. Removed both CAC boots and clamps. Put the CAC on my jack and piece of wood. I used my ratcheting box wrench and was able to remove the 4 top bolts without lowing the rad. Its tight but was able to get them all out. Once I had those out I lowered the CAC a few inches and then removed the top shroud. I then slowly lowered it out the bottom.
Old 05-03-2021, 11:05 AM   #10

good to know, I have look at mine a few times but was not sure it was doable, hopefully I will not have to find out anytime soon

2004 Monaco Dynasty
Burgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 05:37 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
When I bought my coach in 2017 I didn't have it inspected (not a good Idea) and after replacing my exhaust with a 5" diameter chasing low boost and high EGT I took it to Massy Diesel here in Phoenix to have the exhaust leek fixed. (cracked manifold) They did that including drill and taping the manifold for my pyrometer (I have a Banks kit). When they test drove it Tom called my back and said I have other issues. The next day he called me and said I needed the Turbo rebuilt (intake impeller damage) and I had an 8" long crack in the CAC. The crack is in the end cap close to where the core meets. Tom told me it could be fixed but his radiator repair guy told him I would be back in 6 months to a year to have it fixed again so I replaced it. $2500 for the CAC...a lot more for all of the rest. This was 2018 and it has run like a champ ever since. I get 33 psi in the heat and 35 in cool temps.

Tim
Old 05-11-2021, 09:45 AM   #12

Just little update. Its a bad time to try and get a CAC right now. Material costs have skyrocketed. Local radiator shop that does mining equipment is using my end tanks and making me a new CAC out of aluminum. Cost should be about $2500-$2600.

Wonder what it will be like to get full boost?
Old 05-11-2021, 09:50 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
What were you getting before.

When I had mine repaired I was getting ~23, after repair I sometimes get 24. I was surprised considering how bad it was leaking.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 06:33 PM   #14

It's a bad time to buy almost anything related to wood or metal. Prices are insane. $10 for a 2x4x8 blows my mind.
nbluesky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace, replacement