Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2016, 02:05 PM   #1

2003 HR Endeavor lack of power

We recently bought an 2003 Endeavor. We really like this rig. We took our first trip a couple of months ago from WA to AZ. Very nice riding and driving MH.
We have all the maintenance records from day one, we noticed when climbing steep grades we were being passed by truckers. We cruised down the freeway at 65mph no problems. Is there a problem or are they all like that? We have 75250 miles on MH.
jimj3125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2016, 02:34 PM   #2

Two things come to mind

1st- Fuel filters , this the most common cause of low power

2nd- Leaks in the charged air / inter cooler or hoses

Ray
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 03:00 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
X2 change the fuel filters, might help, won't hurt.

When was your air filter changed.

What engine do you have.

Do you know what kind of boost pressure you are seeing.

What is your total weight. A good rule of thumb is 100 Lbs / HP. So it you have a 330 HP engine and are less then 33000 lbs it should perform.

In reality, being passed by trucks on along steep grades may not be unusual. What was your speed when you crested the hill.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 05:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj3125 View Post
We recently bought an 2003 Endeavor. We really like this rig. We took our first trip a couple of months ago from WA to AZ. Very nice riding and driving MH.
We have all the maintenance records from day one, we noticed when climbing steep grades we were being passed by truckers. We cruised down the freeway at 65mph no problems. Is there a problem or are they all like that? We have 75250 miles on MH.

I'm guessing that you don't have a problem other than being new to driving a diesel coach. Your Endeavor has a GVWR of 32,000 pounds. If you tow a vehicle than that also adds to the load. The benchmark for power to weight in a motorhome is one hp per 100 pounds of weight so you are most likely in the ball park.

You may need to be a little bit pro active when approaching a long up grade. Your ISC is governed at 2200 rpm so I'm guessing it's making max hp at around 2000 rpm. When you start a long grade, adjust you speed and manually downshift so your rpm is around 2000. As you go up the grade, if your RPMs start falling, don't hesitate to downshift again to get you RPMs back up. The idea is to get to a speed and a gear that you can maintain that climbing rpm up close to or just above 2000. I think you will be surprised at have well your coach will perform. With a diesel, you can't lose you momentum or you'll never catch up. This technique will also work to keep your engine temps down.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 06:55 PM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
any idea what happens to your boost levels as you head up a hill? Should be about 5-7 psi at 60-62 on a level road in an ISC cummins
Old 12-11-2016, 07:16 PM   #6
JDL

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
I'm guessing that you don't have a problem other than being new to driving a diesel coach. Your Endeavor has a GVWR of 32,000 pounds. If you tow a vehicle than that also adds to the load. The benchmark for power to weight in a motorhome is one hp per 100 pounds of weight so you are most likely in the ball park.

You may need to be a little bit pro active when approaching a long up grade. Your ISC is governed at 2200 rpm so I'm guessing it's making max hp at around 2000 rpm. When you start a long grade, adjust you speed and manually downshift so your rpm is around 2000. As you go up the grade, if your RPMs start falling, don't hesitate to downshift again to get you RPMs back up. The idea is to get to a speed and a gear that you can maintain that climbing rpm up close to or just above 2000. I think you will be surprised at have well your coach will perform. With a diesel, you can't lose you momentum or you'll never catch up. This technique will also work to keep your engine temps down.
What Steve said. The coach cant see the climb ahead, it will only downshift once you are "behind the curve". If you are typically traveling at 65, then drop to 5th gear before you start climbing. If you have an ISC then you want to maintain above 1600 rpms as your minimum. Continue to downshift as needed before the rpms drop.

I have passed lots of trucks on long climbs with my ISC towing a toad, since I learned to stay ahead of it.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:11 AM   #7

Lack of power responses

I want to thank all of you for the responses. We are now camped for the next month or so.
I will check all the paperwork and have the fuel filters changed before our net trip. I will also be more proactive when approaching and climbing grades.
Again, thanks to all of you for the information
jimj3125 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power