RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-25-2013, 03:38 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
texnet's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Granbury, Texas
Posts: 1,387
2003 Monaco Dynasty Slide Lock

The rear mechanical slide lock on our living room slide does not retract when the slide is in the out position. I found post http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/slid...or-145826.html which has a PDF of the slide lock and I suspect a spring or a line is broken but I have not figured out how to get the cover off so I can inspect it. Anyone have knowledge of how to remove the cover?
__________________

__________________
Ronnie (WD5GIC) & Jan (WD5IHU)
2003 Monaco Dynasty Countess 42' w/tag, 2012 Ford Flex
https://www.ronniesphotos.com

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2013, 04:29 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Steve Ownby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cosby, Tn
Posts: 6,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by texnet View Post
The rear mechanical slide lock on our living room slide does not retract when the slide is in the out position. I found post http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/slid...or-145826.html which has a PDF of the slide lock and I suspect a spring or a line is broken but I have not figured out how to get the cover off so I can inspect it. Anyone have knowledge of how to remove the cover?
There should be one screw at the top edge of the housing. When that screw is removed you can slide the housing up and off the retaining studs.
__________________

__________________
Steve Ownby
Full time since 2007
2003 Monaco Signature
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:31 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
texnet's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Granbury, Texas
Posts: 1,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
There should be one screw at the top edge of the housing. When that screw is removed you can slide the housing up and off the retaining studs.
I removed the screw but don't seem to be able to slide the covers. There are 3 pieces to the cover. One at the top, a long one in the middle and one at the bottom.
__________________
Ronnie (WD5GIC) & Jan (WD5IHU)
2003 Monaco Dynasty Countess 42' w/tag, 2012 Ford Flex
https://www.ronniesphotos.com

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:36 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Steve Ownby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cosby, Tn
Posts: 6,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by texnet View Post
I removed the screw but don't seem to be able to slide the covers. There are 3 pieces to the cover. One at the top, a long one in the middle and one at the bottom.
That 3 piece cover is actually crimped together from the rear. I would place a wood block at the bottom edge of the housing & rap it smartly with a hammer. My guess is that it's just jammed down on the retaining studs. Be ready to catch it or it will hit you in the head when it comes off.
__________________
Steve Ownby
Full time since 2007
2003 Monaco Signature
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:41 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
texnet's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Granbury, Texas
Posts: 1,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
That 3 piece cover is actually crimped together from the rear. I would place a wood block at the bottom edge of the housing & rap it smartly with a hammer. My guess is that it's just jammed down on the retaining studs. Be ready to catch it or it will hit you in the head when it comes off.
THANKS! I got if off. I thought the cover would just come off, but it is the entire assembly. Now to figure out how to get the covers off the assembly and fix the problem!
__________________
Ronnie (WD5GIC) & Jan (WD5IHU)
2003 Monaco Dynasty Countess 42' w/tag, 2012 Ford Flex
https://www.ronniesphotos.com

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:49 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Steve Ownby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cosby, Tn
Posts: 6,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by texnet View Post

THANKS! I got if off. I thought the cover would just come off, but it is the entire assembly. Now to figure out how to get the covers off the assembly and fix the problem!
I would soak all the pivot & friction points with something like PB Blaster & let it sit over night then use a pair of vice grips on the lever at the bottom & see if it moves.
__________________
Steve Ownby
Full time since 2007
2003 Monaco Signature
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:56 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
texnet's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Granbury, Texas
Posts: 1,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
I would soak all the pivot & friction points with something like PB Blaster & let it sit over night then use a pair of vice grips on the lever at the bottom & see if it moves.
Everything moves just fine, that is not the problem. The problem is one of the springs are broken, I can see it through one of the mounting slots. So, I need to remove the outside cover to get to the mechanism so I can find replace the spring. I know I will probably have to use another type of spring to replace it with but I first need to see inside! I looked at the diagram of the assembly and it appears all the screws are holding pulleys or other items and none of them actually hold the cover on. Do I just bend up the edge of the cover and then use a hammer and body tool to put it back together?

Thanks for your assistance. This has been on my list for about a year. I have been using an awning hook to move the top lock down before we retract the slides.
__________________
Ronnie (WD5GIC) & Jan (WD5IHU)
2003 Monaco Dynasty Countess 42' w/tag, 2012 Ford Flex
https://www.ronniesphotos.com

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:01 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Steve Ownby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cosby, Tn
Posts: 6,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by texnet View Post
Everything moves just fine, that is not the problem. The problem is one of the springs are broken, I can see it through one of the mounting slots. So, I need to remove the outside cover to get to the mechanism so I can find replace the spring. I know I will probably have to use another type of spring to replace it with but I first need to see inside! I looked at the diagram of the assembly and it appears all the screws are holding pulleys or other items and none of them actually hold the cover on. Do I just bend up the edge of the cover and then use a hammer and body tool to put it back together?

Thanks for your assistance. This has been on my list for about a year. I have been using an awning hook to move the top lock down before we retract the slides.
Wow! You have now reached the full extent of my knowledge. Your plan sounds like the only way forward. Good luck & let us know how it plays out.
__________________
Steve Ownby
Full time since 2007
2003 Monaco Signature
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:26 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
texnet's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Granbury, Texas
Posts: 1,387
Ok, figured out how to get the slide lock apart! Basically you lay the painted side down on a flat surface that is long enough to support the slide lock. You will have the back side, the side with the unfinished aluminum facing up. Spray some silcone lube or WD-40 along the lip that is folded over the aluminum. Then, remove all the small screws with a 5/64" allen wrench. Use a small screw driver to seperate that two pieces of aluminum and then push, pull and gradually force those out the top and the bottom of the housing. Keep the slide lock FLAT against the table. Once you have the two pieces of aluminum out you will see the full assemly underneat. Most likely the 3 springs towards the top are broken. I am now working on finding suitable springs to replace the broken ones. Once you have the springs replaced, clean everything up as it will have lots of dirt and leaves inside. I am going to use some dry lubricant to lube the pivot points and rollers.

Once I have the repairs done I will document and post a how to with photos.
__________________
Ronnie (WD5GIC) & Jan (WD5IHU)
2003 Monaco Dynasty Countess 42' w/tag, 2012 Ford Flex
https://www.ronniesphotos.com

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:14 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Steve Ownby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cosby, Tn
Posts: 6,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by texnet View Post
Ok, figured out how to get the slide lock apart! Basically you lay the painted side down on a flat surface that is long enough to support the slide lock. You will have the back side, the side with the unfinished aluminum facing up. Spray some silcone lube or WD-40 along the lip that is folded over the aluminum. Then, remove all the small screws with a 5/64" allen wrench. Use a small screw driver to seperate that two pieces of aluminum and then push, pull and gradually force those out the top and the bottom of the housing. Keep the slide lock FLAT against the table. Once you have the two pieces of aluminum out you will see the full assemly underneat. Most likely the 3 springs towards the top are broken. I am now working on finding suitable springs to replace the broken ones. Once you have the springs replaced, clean everything up as it will have lots of dirt and leaves inside. I am going to use some dry lubricant to lube the pivot points and rollers.

Once I have the repairs done I will document and post a how to with photos.
I'm impressed! Thanks for the up date. Keep us posted.
__________________
Steve Ownby
Full time since 2007
2003 Monaco Signature
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:46 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
texnet's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Granbury, Texas
Posts: 1,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
I'm impressed! Thanks for the up date. Keep us posted.
Thanks! I thought I might be able to use the old springs but everytime I tried to stretch them to make them work they would break! I will be shopping the hardware stores tomorrow and hopefully find some springs that will work. The original length appears to be about 10". The normal blind spring is about the same diameter but much too short. I will find something to work as I am not going to spend what it cost for new ones just because of $5.00 worth of parts!
__________________
Ronnie (WD5GIC) & Jan (WD5IHU)
2003 Monaco Dynasty Countess 42' w/tag, 2012 Ford Flex
https://www.ronniesphotos.com

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:57 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
texnet's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Granbury, Texas
Posts: 1,387
Repair of Power Gear Slide Lock for 2003 Monaco Dynasty

I found some springs at a local hardware store called Pates Hardware, http://pateshardware.com/. There are in a few Texas but not anywhere else. The springs I purchase were distributed or made by a company called Midwest Fastener Corporation http://fastenerconnection.com/products/onlinecatalog.aspx?sec=sr#onlinecatalog.aspx?cat=V KABI&_suid=137757723636908298171430167071 and was item 18543. These springs were about 1/2 the length needed so I used two of them as you can see in the photos.

To remove the slide lock from the slide, remove the one screw at the top of the slide lock. Once you have this removed use a block of wood and a hammer at the bottom and force the slide lock up. It has several locking pins that it is attached to and once you move the slide lock up about 3/4" it will come off the slide. Be careful and not let it come down and hit you in the head

Lay the painted side down on a flat surface that is long enough to support the slide lock. You will have the back side, the side with the unfinished aluminum facing up. Spray some silicone lube or WD-40 along the lip that is folded over the aluminum. Remove all the 10 small screws. Use a small screw driver to separate the two pieces of aluminum and then push, pull and gradually force those out the top and the bottom of the housing. Keep the slide lock FLAT against the table. Once you have the two pieces of aluminum out you will see the full assembly.

Most likely the 3 springs towards the middle are broken, but inspect for other problems. All the parts are just lying in the frame so be careful not to turn it over or lose any parts! Clean everything and use some dry lubrication to lube all the parts.

Replace the springs and/or other broken parts, reassemble the slide lock and reinstall!


This photo shows a view of the back side with one screw removed on the right and one still in on the left.



A photo of the top area of the slide mechanism, showing the broken springs on the right.



A close-up view of the broken springs.



A close-up view of the new springs in place and the broken ones below.
A view of the bottom area of the slide lock.
A PDF version of this post is also attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Repair of Power Gear Slide Lock.pdf (1.45 MB, 158 views)
__________________
Ronnie (WD5GIC) & Jan (WD5IHU)
2003 Monaco Dynasty Countess 42' w/tag, 2012 Ford Flex
https://www.ronniesphotos.com

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:43 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Steve Ownby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cosby, Tn
Posts: 6,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by texnet View Post
Repair of Power Gear Slide Lock for 2003 Monaco Dynasty

I found some springs at a local hardware store called Pates Hardware, http://pateshardware.com/. There are in a few Texas but not anywhere else. The springs I purchase were distributed or made by a company called Midwest Fastener Corporation http://fastenerconnection.com/produc...98171430167071 and was item 18543. These springs were about 1/2 the length needed so I used two of them as you can see in the photos.

To remove the slide lock from the slide, remove the one screw at the top of the slide lock. Once you have this removed use a block of wood and a hammer at the bottom and force the slide lock up. It has several locking pins that it is attached to and once you move the slide lock up about 3/4" it will come off the slide. Be careful and not let it come down and hit you in the head

Lay the painted side down on a flat surface that is long enough to support the slide lock. You will have the back side, the side with the unfinished aluminum facing up. Spray some silicone lube or WD-40 along the lip that is folded over the aluminum. Remove all the 10 small screws. Use a small screw driver to separate the two pieces of aluminum and then push, pull and gradually force those out the top and the bottom of the housing. Keep the slide lock FLAT against the table. Once you have the two pieces of aluminum out you will see the full assembly.

Most likely the 3 springs towards the middle are broken, but inspect for other problems. All the parts are just lying in the frame so be careful not to turn it over or lose any parts! Clean everything and use some dry lubrication to lube all the parts.

Replace the springs and/or other broken parts, reassemble the slide lock and reinstall!

This photo shows a view of the back side with one screw removed on the right and one still in on the left.



A photo of the top area of the slide mechanism, showing the broken springs on the right.



A close-up view of the broken springs.




A close-up view of the new springs in place and the broken ones below.




A view of the bottom area of the slide lock.




A PDF version of this post is also attached.
Thanks a lot for the concise write up and pics. I'll be keeping this for the inevitable day down the road when I have this problem.
__________________
Steve Ownby
Full time since 2007
2003 Monaco Signature
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:13 PM   #14
Member
 
drnitrous's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 91
I've been wondering when this nightmare was going to cross my path as well. Thanks a lot for sharing!!!!
__________________

__________________
2002 Monaco Dynasty Regal 42 ft
400 ISL
drnitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
monaco, slide



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×