Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2016, 11:37 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
2003 Monaco Exec with Essex KE1601 keyless entry system issues

My keyless entry system is givng me issues.

The red lights on the keypad are lit up bright and there is an alarm sounding (thankfully, not loud, but still irritating).

While I have the 'users guide from their web site - it does not give me any info on issues if red lights are on or 'alarm' is sounding.

Can I just 'unplug' the 12v power to the 'system' -- found where it is in passenger side rest under drink holder? OR will it 'activate' the locks - and lock the rig? Or can I attempt to reset the user code and try it?

DO not want to get locked out of OR in the rig.

I have not used it in the 3+ years we have owned the rig and DID not believe that it was working. DO NOT HAVE and did not get the combo!

Unit has a keypad outside front door as well as a key fob. I am currently unable to change the batteries in the key fob and suspect that it doesn't work as is.

Will try to call Essex on Monday.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Lee
lee.baldwin.rv@gmail.com
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2016, 12:41 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
The auto lock mech is a 12v plunger that moves the slide lever just below the inside pull handle. You will not be locked in or out as long as you have the door key. The locking mech only disables the pull handles. From the inside you can simply slide the lever over. From the outside use the key.
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 07:59 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Here is a good post the Essex Key pad and replacement

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/essex...ry-230232.html

The key pad does go bad, most of the time just stops working but it can be replaced.

Try resetting first, you should have a momentary switch that will reset the system. If not you can just ground the keypad, mine uses the yellow wire, yours may be different if you have a set of wiring diagrams it shows the correct one with the momentary switch on it.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 08:22 AM   #4

Another example of misuse of technology!. Replace the idiotic thing with conventional, mechanical locks which are independent of power or computer devices or with a simple automotive style remote.
Old 10-16-2016, 08:37 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Personally we use the remote system all the time to access the motorhome and the basement compartments.

On ours if you enter the entry code the front door unlocks, and if you press the 7/8 key the basement doors unlock. Hit the 555 key and they all lock. Lots easier then using the key and the basement door locks are hard to unlock/lock with the key.

The system is the same system used in autos.

On my old Class C coach the manual door lock broke internally, luckily I was able access the front doors. I had to diassembled the lock from the inside and was able to temporarily fix it until I could get a new one. So even this type of lock has it's flaws.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 12:02 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
UPDATE on essex keypad issue

I found the reset button and tried to reset the combo.

Tried several times with no luck.

Finally just 'unplugged' the connections.

I found the reset button and the connections in the 'arm rest' to the outside of the passenger (co-pilot0 seat.

As expected - now no lights on keypad or noise from it either and locks work as expected using a key.

May consider replacing keypad later.

Thanks all for the replies.

Lee

Tags
monaco