Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2022, 07:44 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
2003 Monaco Windsor: How thick are our floors?

I found out our ceilings are thick. 2 inches thick at the speaker holes. I was surprised finding the laminated plywood there and assume it is continuous throughout. But how thick are our floors?

I'm wanting to mount a ladder hanger in one of the bays. Bought one of those folding ladders and was thinking about using one of those plastic fence post covers secured to the ceiling of the bay. Kinda pricey but clean, light & puts it out of the way in an otherwise un-used space.

Off the top of my head I couldn't think of a easy place to measure so I'm being lazy and asking the wealth knowledge here.

Thank you All again!

Glenn

JellyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2022, 08:47 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
The basement ceiling is not the coach floor. There's at least a 4" gap that wires, pipes and tubing are run in. I couldn't mount it to my basement ceiling. it's about 1/4" plywood covered with the grey carpeting. Besides, I've taken those panels down more times than I care to to run a new wire for some project.

I put my ladder in one of those square fence posts and mounted up front, on top of the propane tank.

Length wise, it fits fine and I can get it out from either side.

The red bolt in the picture just keeps ladder from jiggling out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuel compartment.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	203.2 KB
ID:	366009
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 10:18 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbill View Post
The basement ceiling is not the coach floor. There's at least a 4" gap that wires, pipes and tubing are run in. I couldn't mount it to my basement ceiling. it's about 1/4" plywood covered with the grey carpeting. Besides, I've taken those panels down more times than I care to to run a new wire for some project.

I put my ladder in one of those square fence posts and mounted up front, on top of the propane tank.

Length wise, it fits fine and I can get it out from either side.

The red bolt in the picture just keeps ladder from jiggling out.

Attachment 366009

Bill

That's exactly what I was looking for! I've never tapped on the roof of any of the bays and certainly hadn't envisioned the space between the roof and the coach floor.

The propane bay is where I had planned to mount the ladder. Your picture is exactly the same as where I figured it would fit best! Knowing now that the roof is thin allows me to plan a appropriate change of plans. Maybe a second tube for a spare sewer hose or something.

A mistake avoided

Thank You!

Glenn

Old 05-20-2022, 07:17 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyBean View Post
Bill

That's exactly what I was looking for! I've never tapped on the roof of any of the bays and certainly hadn't envisioned the space between the roof and the coach floor.

The propane bay is where I had planned to mount the ladder. Your picture is exactly the same as where I figured it would fit best! Knowing now that the roof is thin allows me to plan a appropriate change of plans. Maybe a second tube for a spare sewer hose or something.

A mistake avoided

Thank You!

Glenn

If you look at my picture, I do have a round pipe for the sewer hose. Fits perfectly. I drilled a hole in the bottom of that round pipe and ran a hose from it down to bottom of coach so if any water from sewer hose gets in, it will drain out. I have the sani-con system so I have never used that sewer hose, but it's there just in case.

I just used a couple large dabs of clear silicone to hold those tubes in place.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 07:23 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Got to be careful when you assume anything about a Monaco. The 2002 to the 2003 was a chassis construction change so the construction is different.
When I had to repair the water damage on my coach I found two layers of ~5/8" OSB type decking. It does not like water, mine crumbled when I started to remove.

When I replaced I used a piece of 3/4" treated plywood and then a layer of 3/8" exterior siding. I primed the plywood on all sides. The exterior siding was very dense and had a 50 year warranty, prorated after 5 years.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 08:30 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbill View Post
If you look at my picture, I do have a round pipe for the sewer hose. Fits perfectly. I drilled a hole in the bottom of that round pipe and ran a hose from it down to bottom of coach so if any water from sewer hose gets in, it will drain out. I have the sani-con system so I have never used that sewer hose, but it's there just in case.

I just used a couple large dabs of clear silicone to hold those tubes in place.

Good Idea! Drain tube. I was thinking about expanding foam instead of silicone but silicone might be better.
I wish my curbside door opened. I wonder if anyone has converted that side? I can't remember if there is room for the extra thickness. Never thought about it when I changed out my fuel sender....

Still haven't justified almost 50.00 for a piece of plastic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
Got to be careful when you assume anything about a Monaco. The 2002 to the 2003 was a chassis construction change so the construction is different.
When I had to repair the water damage on my coach I found two layers of ~5/8" OSB type decking. It does not like water, mine crumbled when I started to remove.

When I replaced I used a piece of 3/4" treated plywood and then a layer of 3/8" exterior siding. I primed the plywood on all sides. The exterior siding was very dense and had a 50 year warranty, prorated after 5 years.

What area of the coach was that? I would suspect more water damage occurs in floor areas rather than roof; broken pipes & spills ect. I wonder why they used OSB....

Old 05-21-2022, 12:35 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
"What area of the coach was that? I would suspect more water damage occurs in floor areas rather than roof; broken pipes & spills ect. I wonder why they used OSB"

Not sure why they used OSB let alone two sheets of it. Once it got wet it lost all it's integraty. It was in the front of the coach right behind the passenger seat, this is where my wife had dog crates set up. I suspect years of dumping water bowls caused the damage but wife disagrees.

Either way I tore up the whole floor except where the ceramic tile was and put down Pergo LVP, the best product Lowes' sold, cost ~$1600 to redo the flooring. Here's a thread I did on it, post #8 has a picture of the damage after I removed the floor covering. https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/new...ks-564571.html
Old 05-22-2022, 09:41 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
"" Here's a thread I did on it, post #8 has a picture of the damage after I removed the floor covering. https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/new...ks-564571.html ""

Thanks for that! I don't know how I missed this posting? You do excellent work. Looks GREAT! A little water can, given time, do a lot of damage.
Old 05-22-2022, 01:26 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyBean View Post
"" You do excellent work. Looks GREAT! A little water can, given time, do a lot of damage.

Thanks. I wasn't in a hurry and being able to park in my garage with my work shop readily available was a big plus. This was the 3rd floor upgrade I did in RV's so practice makes perfect.

Tags
floor, monaco, wind, windsor