Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2015, 03:02 PM   #1

2003 Monaco Windsor red warning light on dash flashing

Hope someone can help. Took vehicle to dealer,dealer said that they suspect that I need accelerator position sensor of which I cannot find. Monaco says that the part is obsolete and that you have to buy the complete pedal assembly if I could find one. Pedal assembly is a Teleflex Morse which they sold to Kongsberg.Checked with Kongsberg no help, check with Great Lakes power so far no help they told me to go to freight liner no help.The problem that I am having is that the red warning light underneath the check engine on right side of dash blinks with foot off pedal.Goes out while accelerating an engine does not seem to be losing any power or gas mileage. shop gave me a code of PO 1531 which I cannot find anywhere neither can Freightliner.
roger50005 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2015, 04:31 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
What engine do you have. Suspect you have a Cummins. Before I would replace the accelerator sensor I would either purchase a Scan Guage D and read out the codes myself or I would have Cummins read them. I have had two different coaches where the position sensor failed and the symptoms were the engine would idle but not rev up at all.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:57 PM   #3

Google obd II - code P1531 - Ford

Code is accelerator pedal movement fault. Any reputable shop should be able to diagnose issue?
dannyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 06:06 AM   #4

If it turns out that you need an accelerator pedal assy like i did, search online for an RV salvage yard. They had exactly what I needed. Even sent me pictures to verify. I believe it was around $125. Can't remember which yard I got it from... been a couple of years. Good luck with your search!
Old 06-05-2015, 09:00 AM   #5

Thanks bdpreece
I forgot to mention that I have a cummins ISL 370 engine + before posting my problem I had already ordered a scan gauge D which has not been delivered yet. I think good price at $139.00, 169 on sell at CW. I live in Fairfield California and because of lack of communication and the fact that the shop charged me 325 dollars just to check for codes which I paid. Then to tell me that they suspect a position sensor, no guarantee that that is the problem. I pulled the coach out may as well be at home for me to check the codes. will keep posted.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:06 AM   #6

Thanks Gearhead383
Well that's a great price for what you paid for yours, so far last week the closest I could get is $400 plus shipping for a used one. If I could find a new one its around $525.I I do have a couple more places I do need to call. Thanks
Old 06-05-2015, 09:21 AM   #7

Thanks Dannyman
you were correct with the 1531 but could not find that code for Cummings for 2003 ISL 370. last week when I found that 1531 code it did say that it is an invalid test ( accelerator pedal movement during KOER testing.) Will keep you all up to date after my scan gauge d comes.
If the shop is going to throw parts at it I'd rather throw the parts at it myself and save the labor.
Thank you guys for the replys.
Old 06-05-2015, 10:41 AM   #8

So ask that repair shop that you paid $325 to give you the codes they read. You paid for them?
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 01:39 PM   #9

Thanks Mike Canter,
I will be going back to the shop that gave me the PO1531 code after I get my scan gauge d.
I want to see what codes I come up with and what their codes supposably say. The shop was real busy and I think motor homes are secondary to their business because I see that they do a lot of truck fleet work.If codes do not compare because of the fact that they use a laptop I will take it to a shop in Sacramento to put it on their laptop, their shop has a separate motorhome division. If there is a discrepancy I will then call Bureau of automotive repair.
Old 06-05-2015, 07:06 PM   #10

When any code is set it directs the technician/mechanic to the affected system. A true troubleshooter will do a detailed inspection and testing of that system to further identify the malfunctioning component or issue. The fault may in fact be the pedal; however it could be a bad electrical connection or some other system defect. The pedal may be fine! Throwing parts at a malfunction is blind repair and costs you the customer unnecessary dollars. You need to find a shop that will troubleshoot properly. A proper set of service manuals would specify the procedure for step by step troubleshooting. I would spend some time qualifying your repair shops.

Sincerely wish you luck in finding a good technician/shop to resolve your problem.
Old 06-05-2015, 07:22 PM   #11

These are cummins service trainers. Might not hurt to shoot them a note and see what they would recommend and perhaps they could give you the procedure for troubleshooting your code P1531.

Danny Smith: danny.l.smith@cummins.com
Craig Markel: craig.markel@cummins.com

Again, hope you get answers.

Dannyman
Old 06-06-2015, 12:03 PM   #12

Dandyman ;
Thanks again for that good wisdom you are absolutely right that s good service Tech should be able to identify the problem since it is not an intermittent one, I myself will not be throwing parts at it that was just a jokie joke. But because of assembly being an obsolete part I would like to have one on hand, if not broken now could go out in the middle of nowhere. Right now I am glad to know what parts are available and which parts are not. Tust a thought but I'm thinking that with the accelerator pedal at rest the contacts in the ETC could possibly be worn. still I'm waiting for my scan gauge d. I have also worked as an auto Tech for 35 years so when you talk in technical terms I will know what you're talking about. Seem like everytime I have my coach in a repair shop I end up having to repair the problems myself. Will keep you updated.
Thanks again
Old 06-06-2015, 09:03 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I had the exact same warning light and code for my accelerator circuit. When I speed up or go down hill the warning light would go off. What I noticed is the engine temp was also elevated the same time the warning light was on. On my 2001 diplomat 38 the problem was the engine compartment was getting warm due to poor air flow through the radiator. This caused the throttle circuit in the engine compartment to run warm, turning on the warning light. I had the radiator cleaned and pressure washed. Engine ran Cooler and no more warning light.
That was my experience.
Rick
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash, light, monaco