Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2018, 11:18 AM   #1

2003 Windsor Generator No Start

I'm trying to help a friend with this problem. I am an electrical engineer and a forum moderator on the Newell forum. I know my coach, but not this guys. So coming here for some help if anyone is willing. In the mean time I have contacted Monaco via email requesting wiring diagrams.
What I think I know so far:
DC volts to the generator ( as measured at the connection on the back of the generator ) fall off immediately upon an attempt to start. Voltage rises on the negative side indicating a problem with the grounded side.
Recording voltmeter indications seem to show the power should be provided by the house batteries - is that right?
The house batteries do not appear to make a good connection to ground. I installed a single jumper cable between the house and chassis batteries and the generator had enough voltage to turn over.
Where are the house batteries supposed to be connected to the chassis?
What do you know about the wiring to the generator? I did not find a cutoff switch labeled "generator". Thanks, Russ
RussWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2018, 01:54 PM   #2

Hi RussWhite; First I want to let you know that I am not the best expert on this but I will try to get you going until the real experts chime in here. I have an 01 Windsor and previous coach was an 2000 Windsor. I understand why you want a wiring diagram. My 2000 coach had to have the salesman switch on to get power to start the gen. That makes be believe that the power for the gen was from the house batteries. Now on my 2001, the salesman switch does not need to be on to start the gen. This leads me to believe that the gen. is powered from the chassis batteries. First have you tried starting the gen. while using the battery boost switch on the dash that ties the chassis and house batteries together? Second, have you tried turning the chassis and the house battery disconnect switches one at a time and checking for voltage at the back of the gen. This should tell you where the gen. is getting it's power from. As far as I know, there is not 12V disconnect switch just for the gen. Not sure about an 03 Windsor on how both batteries are kept charged as in the use of an battery maintainer when plugged into shore power. You could have a battery problem. These are some of the things running through my head as I write this. Hope you can get something from Monaco, but I would not count on it for an 03 product. I could be wrong. Owners here will be a better source of information. Good luck!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 02:37 PM   #3

Thanks OilBurner,

I did receive a pdf file, but unfortunately it is lacking in the area where I need help. Aw, the salesman relay. That brings back a memory of the first time this guy asked for help. I figured all that out and replaced the relay and all was well for maybe another year. It failed again and I replaced it again. The next time it failed I put all the wires on the same output terminal ( essentially eliminating the relay ) and he has been a happy camper ever since. The pdf did show connections between the house batteries and the inverter. No connection was shown from house batteries to coach ground, but that may not mean there is none. Hard to image the house batteries would not be connected to chassis ground somewhere. For now I will try your suggestions, which I had been planning to do, which should allow me to at least answer the question about which set of batteries should be starting the genny. Thanks for taking the time to reply. Russ
Old 01-10-2018, 02:55 PM   #4

Hi Russ; Anytime Russ. Now that you mention it in your reply post, it is possible that the house batteries are both wired positive and negative into the inverter. Since the inverter charges the house batteries when on shore power but the house batteries are also charged by the generator. I would have to go out and crawl into the belly of the beast to see where all the battery wiring is going to and form the inverter. I am still going to guess that the gen. for the 03 Windsor will get it's power from the chassis batteries. Happy hunting
Old 01-10-2018, 02:58 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Russ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I can't help with the problem but wanted to say hello! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 03:03 PM   #6

Run a jumper cable from house negative to a part of the chassis. See if it cranks.

Run a jumper cable from the generator frame to the chassis. See if it cranks.

Inverters don't use chassis ground but check for a cable from negetive on the inverter to chassis. That may be the generator ground route.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:42 PM   #7

Hi again Russ; I was just out in the coach looking for a wiring diagram for the inverter to the house batteries. Do not have that in my owners manual, but I did look in my Trace Inverter Manual. The manual shows both positive and negative battery cables being wired into the inverter from the house batteries. It then shows to chassis ground from the inverter. The house battery cables make their way to the inverter through the house battery disconnect switch and also there is a fuse I believe on the positive side of the house batteries. Just some more info for you to chew on. Good luck!
Old 01-10-2018, 06:42 PM   #8

Hi Friends! Just want to keep you all in the loop. The poor guy just had to go to the hospital and will be airlifted to Miami from Key West. A friend called me to say when his wife got back to the coach the lights and refrigerator were not working. I went there of course and am now back. This is what I found. Both sets of batteries are up. There is no power on the house circuit. There is no connection from the negative on the house batteries to the coach chassis.
At that point I could have, and maybe should have, just brought a jumper cable and connected it between chassis and negative on the house batteries. But, instead I grabbed the cabled as they exited the house battery compartment and as soon as I did, I heard a click and all the lights and frig came on. Since it is dark I have decided to wait until tomorrow since his wife is stressed and stuff is working at this time. I will confirm what she said about the refrigerator as that does not make complete sense. It should have been running on the AC which was working well, or have gone to propane - which I assume this coach has. Main focus will be on finding where the negative from the house batteries connects to the chassis. I may have to get under the coach in the battery area and do not know what the clearances are back there at this time. I will update further tomorrow. I can always do the jumper cable to chassis as a workaround until things settle down. Thanks again. Russ
Old 01-10-2018, 07:48 PM   #9

The fridge needs 12 volts for the controls, running on gas or 120 volt electric.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:58 PM   #10

Twinboat - What's the matter with me? I should have thought of that! Well thanks, as that is one less worry for tomorrow and completely explains what she was seeing. Russ
Old 01-11-2018, 09:01 AM   #11

To finish this thread up.... I had a spare black heavy duty battery cable with eyes on each end. I connected it between the negatives of the chassis battery bank and the negative of the house battery bank. This allows the house batteries to use the chassis ground connection that was working fine for the chassis batteries. This temporary workaround will keep the lights and refrigerator running and allow the owner to address the root connection problem at a later date. Thanks to all who contributed. Russ

Tags
generator, no start