Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2023, 10:38 PM   #1

2004 Ambassador RR4R Increased Tire Size Fit?

Hello...I am trying to improve the ride on our 2004 HR Ambassador with the RR4R suspension. I have read many RR4R posts on the forum which led me to install the Source Engineering control arms and the REK upgrade with Bilstein shocks (back in 2015). I have also adjusted my ride height to Source Engineering specifications. I discussed the options with Jim at Source Engineering and based on his recommendation I am planning to increase my front steer tires (not the drive tires) from the current 275/70 R22.5 to 295/80 R22.5.

I have an appointment Monday morning to make the change and I would like to know if anyone with an RR4R chassis (Jim says the Cayman has the same chassis) has increased their tire size and could share their experience?

Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2023, 01:43 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Not sure how much clearance you have to up size your tire. Here's a website that allows you compare the difference in size. 'https://tiresize.com/comparison/
Width and diameter might cause a problem, but I know a lot of people upsize so you might be OK
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 06:56 PM   #3

Thanks Jim. I used a similar site to compare and the width increases from 10.8" to 11.6", the height increases from 37.7" to 41.1" and most importantly the sidewall increases from 7.6" to 9.3" for a 22.4% increase. I will test the fit tomorrow as the tire shop has promised to work with me to make sure the fit is ok.

I was concerned about running a larger steer tire than drive tire, but Source Engineering and the tire shop both say it is ok? The new tires will reduce the current 18 ply tire to a 16 ply and also allow me to lower my tire pressure on my 10,000 lb front axle to 85 psi.

Theoretically, the new tires should help to take the "harshness" out of the front axle? I am concerned about the appearance of the tire combination, but I am willing to trade appearance for performance. Hopefully someone that has made a similar switch will let me know how it worked for them.
Old 06-04-2023, 10:15 PM   #4

I have that exact year chassis and wonder how many dollars you can throw at something that is only going to perform to a certain point - meaning maybe it's only going to do what it can do - from a pure engineering perspective. My personal opinion is the RR4R is literally half what it should be, (shocks and bags) but it's in the driveway now.
Iceclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 01:11 PM   #5

I replaced the 18 ply 275/70R22.5 steering tires with 16 ply 295/75R22.5 tires and it appears to have softened the ride significantly. Combined with the Source Engineering upgrades the ride is "acceptable".

Thanks.

Tags
tire