Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2021, 03:50 PM   #1

2004 Dynasty air bag install.

Two tools I bought for the rear air bags. I added the street 90 to the air impact. You need a swivel socket (3/4) with an inch or so depth that will get over the stud length on the air bags
The wrench is from a metric set. 19mm. For the top of the tag axle bags it was the snizzle. Both came from harbor freight.
I am sincerely hoping the fronts are easier than the rears. The air impact makes the shocks a piece of cake. And it just gets into the outside corner nut on the rt rear forward bag. Left side I drilled the water fill door off. Stuck the impact in that hole. Prices were 200 on the wrench set. Over the counter lifetime guarantee
, 18 inches long , and it was needed reaching up that far..the swivel head is needed too.
The impact was 129 iirc. Doesn't have a ton of power but enough. 3 settings in forward and reverse. Air fitting rotates as well which is needed with the 90 street L. One thing I wish I had bought were some push-to-connect disconnect pliers. I just wasn't strong enough to pull most of the lines and had to cut a few. Fortunately they all reached after being trimmed. The outer bags I turned the airline clamp around to add length. A note on the konis, you leave the inside washer off. They are thicker at the boss than the Bilsteins. I called on that one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210724_125319.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	571.8 KB
ID:	337091  
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2021, 10:28 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
If you haven't already, read through Mike Z's post #1265.
Probably the best way to replace air bags.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/mod...237276-91.html
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 10:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
If you haven't already, read through Mike Z's post #1265.
Probably the best way to replace air bags.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/mod...237276-91.html
Thanks, and...
Yes I read it. Im in a field. Didn't pull the tires. Don't have a son that's big and tall. There's always a dozen ways.
I just don't have the equipment available to pull tires on grass. Besides I'm old and they are heavy. I was able to get to everything by pulling only a big line clamp on the rt and the air dryer and two line clamps on the left side. As well as the water fill door. Iirc Mike pulled the trailing arms too. Too much heavy lifting for me.
Old 07-26-2021, 10:02 AM   #4

That little cheapie impact is worth its weight on this one, gets to both top nuts on the front bags. Joy cometh in the morning.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20210726_095745.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	268.9 KB
ID:	337325  
Old 07-26-2021, 05:07 PM   #5

I didn't know until I finished, but that particular snapon socket will get to all the front top bolts, the outer rt upper I used the ratchet wrench as it is in the wheel well and not much room above it. So the fronts are a piece of cake compared to the rears. Only pulled the skirts and flaps on the front, excluding the front rt skirt, left it in place. Had to re clock that airbag base also, it's mounted staggered , different from the other three
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20210726_164947.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	708.6 KB
ID:	337379  
Old 08-03-2021, 03:09 PM   #6

Done chasing all the air leaks in the whole coach. For the first time since I owned it I can say, I think everything works. Bless God, other than one upper slide seal and waxing I am done for the summer . Might even pack up and go to get out of all the smoke up here.
Old 08-03-2021, 03:48 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Don't be too smug...DAMHIK!
Old 08-03-2021, 05:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
Don't be too smug...DAMHIK!
Oh no. It was said with great trepidation and prayer. 😂
Old 08-07-2021, 10:25 AM   #9

Took it out for a ride today for the first time. Much tighter in the steering. All four front biltstiens had lost their gas so with the new koni fsds it's like a different coach. I set the rt rear ride height 1/4" high it just about leveled the high road crowns here. Quite by accident the new push to connect fittings, on the front airbags, have a smaller hole. Based on the outfit in Oregon selling valves to restrict the air flow I decided to try them. Coach is way less rocky side to side. Can't really pin it to any one of the changes but I like it. The airbags themselves are smaller in diameter so the old ones clearly bloated over the years. With the fsd konis all the porpoising is gone.. I only hit one bridge imbutment , it wasn't bad but I don't remember what it was like before. Lastly I want to say I used to fully inflate the bags when I would camp. They all started cracking around the top first. Won't be doing that on an unnecessary basis anymore. Letting them sit deflated on their internal bumpers is probably the best place for them to sit.
Old 08-07-2021, 12:35 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the update. That was a huge job you can cross off the list.
I'm thinking of installing Koni's on the front also.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 02:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
Thanks for the update. That was a huge job you can cross off the list.
I'm thinking of installing Koni's on the front also.
Thanks , I thought it was telling all 6 rears still had gas and the front 4 were down to oil only. Fronts would make a big difference all by themselves.
Old 08-12-2021, 08:18 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
After reading multiple posts on air bag replacements I decided to at minimum buy a spare to carry. I inspect my air bags everytime I am under the coach and I don't see any signs potential failure but with age you never know.

I have the number for my airbag right off the parts page that I have 9376(1T15L-2), which crosses to a Firestone W01-358-9376

So I have done a search and almost every place says Out of Stock but Trucksprings.com said ships in 7-10 days >>> NOT. I placed an order and got an email this AM saying the air bag is on back order until late October. Price with tax free shipping was ~$197.

The only place I found with them in stock was REV but the price was ~360 without tax or shipping, which I will not buy at that high of a price.

Anyone know of a place to order air bags from???? Going to call a couple local truck shops to see what they have.

jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 09:33 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
After reading multiple posts on air bag replacements I decided to at minimum buy a spare to carry. I inspect my air bags everytime I am under the coach and I don't see any signs potential failure but with age you never know.

I have the number for my airbag right off the parts page that I have 9376(1T15L-2), which crosses to a Firestone W01-358-9376

So I have done a search and almost every place says Out of Stock but Trucksprings.com said ships in 7-10 days >>> NOT. I placed an order and got an email this AM saying the air bag is on back order until late October. Price with tax free shipping was ~$197.

The only place I found with them in stock was REV but the price was ~360 without tax or shipping, which I will not buy at that high of a price.

Anyone know of a place to order air bags from???? Going to call a couple local truck shops to see what they have.

I went to my local cummins dealer, 7 weeks to get them straight from Firestone. 162 apiece no shipping. The w013589376 have 1/4 inlets. I ordered 1/4x1/4 brass fittings to raise up the push to locks as the rears are 90 degree. Also gets them up out of the hole they would be sitting in for debris and water. Mine were all 3/4 thread originally. You could also just order a bag without the base that mounts with the one center bolt. Just mark carefully how it is clocked before taking it off . You dont want to play in and out three times to get it correct. Also you'll find with the 1/4x1/4 you can mount the 90 push to lock in it, then still get a wrench on the 1/4 hex to install it once the bag is in the coach. Without a fitting you're hamstrung trying to tighten some of the fittings due to space.
Old 08-12-2021, 09:33 AM   #14

Air Bag

Contitech AS8897 - Find it Parts $127 free shipping. I used these on my coach (05 signature), should work on yours. This bag has 3/4 NPT for air fitting. You might need 1/4 x 3/4 bushing, I did on some of mine. Hope this helps, Mike.
hockeydiesel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, install