Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2021, 07:33 AM   #1

2004 Dynasty Airdog Raptor install.

I finished my Airdog Raptor install last night.

Parts used:
Pump
https://pureflowairdog.com/i-3049769...e-cummins.html

Relay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Accele-BU-5...-/402230401904

Filter Base
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Gauge

Adapter

3 foot of Parker
https://ph.parker.com/us/en/rubber-c...ose-201/201-10

Fittings
2 https://ph.parker.com/us/en/26-serie...gs/16826-10-10

https://ph.parker.com/us/en/pipe-fit...s/6-3-8-f5og-s

https://ph.parker.com/us/en/triple-l...ers/10-6-ftx-s

2 https://www.biedlers-hydraulics.com/...e-adapter.html

25 foot of
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BEL7...tbjxi55PmY3H4o

2 1/4 ring 12ga terminals
2 3/8 ring 12ga terminals
2 12ga heat shrink but splices
5 12ga female spade terminals

Scrap piece of conveyor belt

4 5/16 studs to mount the pump and 4 lock nuts.

I had picked up this pump months ago but as we were not traveling I just started picking up the parts need to finish as I visited my local shops for other things.

I borrowed form Mike's install for the location of the pump, gauge and wiring, but modified to fit my unit.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/mod...ml#post5668073

I used 1/8 plate and sandwiched the Conveyor belt between it and the framing to mitigate and vibration noises.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210415_080334.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	329.4 KB
ID:	325040

With the new hose and adapters it was a simple loop for the input and the original feed line connected to the output. The old hose does an s-curve but it is not restrictive in any way. I had to remove and remount the Aquahot filter to put the plate in but it all worked out quite well.

I ran the power feed over to the front run bay and used the relay set to turn on after the stock lift pump.

I used one of the spare ignition feeds like Mike did to trigger the relay and a fused link to pull power from the main lugs in the front run bay for the relay.

Name:	20210415_081812.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	176.9 KB
ID:	325038

Yes I am still using the stock pump at startup, as I just replaced it 2 years ago.

In the rear...

I replaced the primary filter bracket with the new one after drilling out the center hole to allow for gauge.

Name:	20210415_081254.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	352.4 KB
ID:	325039

As I'm running out for time I did not do the dash gauge yet, will do once home.

I did run into one issue in the rear when removing the old bracket, there must have been a gorilla tightening the lines that day as one fitting broke.
That took me about an hour and a 3 foot pipe over the wrench to remove.

Name:	20210410_123000.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	375.5 KB
ID:	325037

Once done, I adjust the pressure regulator on the pump to 16 lbs while running.

Now all I have to do is road test and make sure nothing leaks or fails on some bumpy roads.

2016 Newmar London Aire
Burgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2021, 10:21 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Awesome looking install and way easier than mine. Just for the record the same guy must have installed my fittings on the filter head as well. I've never seen JIC fittings so freaking tight.

You mentioned that you recently replaced your OEM lift pump, is your ISL engine a CAPS or HPCR injection system? I'm curious because if it is the HPCR you will want to keep the fuel flowing through the ECM cooling plate whereas the CAPS injection system does not have one so the lift pump can be easily bypassed.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 11:28 AM   #3

I just did this same install. Word of caution. The prescreen on the input side of the air dog can easily plug up with sediment or rust from the tank. I found out my pickup tube is NOT aluminum, but steel. Rust flakes are coming off and getting stuck in the screen. Mine was 1/2 plugged after 200 miles. Currently looking for a solution.
Old 04-15-2021, 11:45 AM   #4

ISL caps, 2003 chassis.

I bought a goldenrod Filter and screen to put prior to the raptor But that will not get done until I get back to NY where I can fab my own mounting brackets.

The one word out caution on these pumps, according to AIRDOG they are not flow thru, so if the pump dies the may not allow fuel to be pulled thru

Mine starts and idles fine with out the pump running but I may have to put in the Gauge b4 for I drive home so I can watch for a decrease in pressure.

2016 Newmar London Aire
Old 04-15-2021, 06:31 PM   #5
TR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3meyer View Post
I just did this same install. Word of caution. The prescreen on the input side of the air dog can easily plug up with sediment or rust from the tank. I found out my pickup tube is NOT aluminum, but steel. Rust flakes are coming off and getting stuck in the screen. Mine was 1/2 plugged after 200 miles. Currently looking for a solution.
I would pull the fuel through a primary filter. Tank to primary filter to fuel pump to secondary filter to CAPS.

Bill
Old 04-16-2021, 04:26 AM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmotorsports View Post
You mentioned that you recently replaced your OEM lift pump, is your ISL engine a CAPS or HPCR injection system? I'm curious because if it is the HPCR you will want to keep the fuel flowing through the ECM cooling plate whereas the CAPS injection system does not have one so the lift pump can be easily bypassed.

Per Cummins, my -04 Imperial has Aug -03 built engine and has CAPS.
The below is a caption from my Owner's manual but it does not say anything regarding CAPS vs HPCR.

"The fuel passes through the fuel transfer pump, which is a fixed clearance gear transfer pump, and through passages in the electronic control module (ECM) in order to provide cooling for the electronics."
Old 04-16-2021, 06:43 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowflyer1 View Post
Per Cummins, my -04 Imperial has Aug -03 built engine and has CAPS.
The below is a caption from my Owner's manual but it does not say anything regarding CAPS vs HPCR.

"The fuel passes through the fuel transfer pump, which is a fixed clearance gear transfer pump, and through passages in the electronic control module (ECM) in order to provide cooling for the electronics."
I've seen you post that before but I haven't seen a CAPS with a cooling plate mounted to the ECM that draws fuel through, that seems to be a HPCR injection system routing design as far as I can tell, even the lift pumps are quite different between the CAPS system and HPCR system. Granted I haven't worked on a ton of CAPS systems but the few I have worked on, the lift pump is further towards the bell housing than the ECM and the ECM mounts to the side of the block with no cooling plate. On the HPCR system I worked on the lift pump was actually mounted to the cooling plate and had rigid lines routing the fuel in/out of the cooling plate. I could be wrong and they exist such as maybe in a crossover year.

Maybe someone else can confirm their actual personal routing on their coach as I am less apt to go solely off an owner's manual as I've see too many discrepancies in my years. On my ISL (in OEM design) after the primary filter, the fuel ran into the lift pump, out of the lift pump directly to the secondary filter then to the CAPS injection pump with nothing to do with the ECM and all were flexible fuel lines not rigid.
Old 04-16-2021, 08:23 AM   #8

Mine is like Mike stated, near the bell housing and not the HPCR.

I stopped by the hydraulic shop and donated some more $$ to get a hose and fittings to add the Goldenrod filter b4 the pump. I was going to wait but might as well install it b4 the trip back to NY.

Pressure gauge will get a temp install as well to be permanently mounted at home.

I will be using the mesh screen

2016 Newmar London Aire
Old 04-16-2021, 08:33 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgy View Post
Mine is like Mike stated, near the bell housing and not the HPCR.

I stopped by the hydraulic shop and donated some more $$ to get a hose and fittings to add the Goldenrod filter b4 the pump. I was going to wait but might as well install it b4 the trip back to NY.

Pressure gauge will get a temp install as well to be permanently mounted at home.

I will be using the mesh screen

Thanks for confirming how yours is set up. I think it is important for us Monaco coach owners to be specific when we are talking about what we "actually" have vs. what we think we have or what manuals state because if there is one thing about these Monaco coaches is that they are all somewhat unique even though they're the same. I'm sure most will get my meaning.

I think you will be glad you put in some filtering media prior to the Raptor pump in the long run. Especially hearing how some have had restrictions after as little as a couple hundred miles. More peace of mind for you even though a bit more work now.
Old 04-16-2021, 09:10 AM   #10

That was my thought, and with the goldenrod I can see right away if i have an issue with many things.

2016 Newmar London Aire
Old 04-16-2021, 12:17 PM   #11

I cleared this every fuel stop. Will be happy to get that pre-filter installed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3787.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	266.1 KB
ID:	325180  
Old 04-17-2021, 01:33 PM   #12

I installed the goldenrod filter, the mesh screen would not screw in so I used water separator. I need to call the vendor Monday on the screen.

My input screen to the pump had a few specks in it so this pre filter is needed.

Name:	20210417_105044.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	348.0 KB
ID:	325344

Name:	20210417_103927.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	321.4 KB
ID:	325345

Name:	20210417_103907.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	349.5 KB
ID:	325346

2016 Newmar London Aire
Old 04-17-2021, 02:57 PM   #13

Someone else that shared the Goldenrod housing and screen , but they may have used the coarser basket one. Is it bad threads or wrong threads I wonder.
They somehow found a basic heavy sheet metal mount that I didn't see listed anywhere.
If you didn't notice their waterblock filters have absorbent media in them and will swell up once they get a dose of water. Other makers can use a repellant layer instead.
That is sure is a tiny screen as prefilter .
When they designed a unit at work pre pump filter screen baskets were installed with 325 mesh screen . The final cut of product is done over eight vibrating 30" screeners stacked three progressive screens the final being 325 mesh. They freaked out as we started to rip the screens out dozens of pump filter baskets that pluged in seconds and couldn't seem to understand why it couldn't work, when older units that made 100s of pounds of plus 60 & 125 & 325 mesh per shift only had/ needed pump protecting baskets.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 05:11 AM   #14

It was almost like it was a hair to big, it started but then the basket slipped on the crimped section and would not tighten or loosen, i ended up tearing the basket off and using pliers to remove the threaded insert.

It was not cross threaded just not right

2016 Newmar London Aire

Tags
air, install, dog