Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2022, 09:29 PM   #1

2004 Monaco Diplomat Duo-therm 630035.321 unit

I've got the above mentioned AC. The rear unit, the compressor and the fan will run in Cool or heat pump mode, but will not heat or cool. I've read lots of threads on this and tried most of the suggestions. The one thing I haven't done is swap the electronic control kit......because I can't find them. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Maintainin'
Maintainin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2022, 07:07 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I have 2 of the same AC units. i found one control board mounted up in the unit, under the plastic shroud on the roof. The other one can be accessed by removing the plastic grille inside the coach at the ceiling.
It's odd that there was different locations for the boards, so I'm assuming one unit got replaced sometime before I bought the coach.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-02-2022, 10:04 AM   #3

Thanks. I think you are right. The newer AC units have the control PCB under the shroud. I'll remove the inside cover and look around.
Old 07-03-2022, 11:49 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
how are you progressing with your problem? I have 2 units and my front one is malfunctioning. It comes on blows warm and starts to cool for about 1 or 2 minutes then starts getting warm. I cycled off and then back on to restart, did the same thing. I have tested capacitors and compressor with no problem detected.
King Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 12:53 PM   #5

Still working on it. Your problem might be the "run" cap as the compressor starts but then stops. When it starts blowing warm, is the compressor still drawing current/running?I read that in one of the forums...
Old 07-03-2022, 02:16 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainin View Post
Still working on it. Your problem might be the "run" cap as the compressor starts but then stops. When it starts blowing warm, is the compressor still drawing current/running?I read that in one of the forums...
it sure acts like the heat pump comes on after the air starts blowing cold air, it really acts like it is working properly for about 2 min, then it starts warming and air gets hot. I did seem to hear a faint tick sound like it changed over, but I was under the a/c and it was blowing. Not sure what it was but it started heating up.
Old 07-03-2022, 11:29 PM   #7

Look at your Shore power meter. When the compressor is running and it's cooling, you should see a draw of 8-12 amps. When it stops cooling and blows warm, do you see the same draw of current or does it drop to 2-4 amps? If it drops, the compressor isn't running and I'd check the run cap. If it's still drawing the 8-10 amps, I'd check the reversing coil.
Old 07-03-2022, 11:40 PM   #8

Now back to my problem. I found the control board (thanks RustyTools).

Here's what I've done:

1. Swapped the reversing coils between unit 1 and 2. 1 still blows cool, 2 blows air. No change
2. Swapped the control board between unit 1 and 2. 1 still blows cool, 2 blows air. No change
3. Swapped the control board dip switches (unit 1 is now unit 2 and vise versa) to check the control unit (thermostat). Still no change.

The only thing I haven't swapped it the capacitors (start/run). I will do that tomorrow, but I don't think that is the issue....but who knows. Also, I want to monitor (from the top) both units in operation to see I see/feel/hear any difference in the working and non-working unit.

Anybody got any other tricks up their sleeve to try? Input is much appreciated
Old 07-14-2022, 10:46 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainin View Post
Now back to my problem. I found the control board (thanks RustyTools).

Here's what I've done:

1. Swapped the reversing coils between unit 1 and 2. 1 still blows cool, 2 blows air. No change
2. Swapped the control board between unit 1 and 2. 1 still blows cool, 2 blows air. No change
3. Swapped the control board dip switches (unit 1 is now unit 2 and vise versa) to check the control unit (thermostat). Still no change.

The only thing I haven't swapped it the capacitors (start/run). I will do that tomorrow, but I don't think that is the issue....but who knows. Also, I want to monitor (from the top) both units in operation to see I see/feel/hear any difference in the working and non-working unit.

Anybody got any other tricks up their sleeve to try? Input is much appreciated
I have done a lot of testing with multimeter and verified capacitors and ohm readings to be in correct range. HOWEVER, I did not see any troubleshooting that included the reversing valve solenoid, so I went looking for information and did come up with a video and information of how to test it. Mine failed the test and was the source of my problems. I am very happy. MikeMo has a post that gave me the part number for a replacement. a lot of imported parts are hard to locate lately. Recommend getting a meter to test the capacitor and watch videos for trouble shooting!!
Old 07-19-2022, 02:02 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I hope you find a fixable problem! This is a tough time to have to buy an new heat pump...
Couple years ago one of mine started acting like that. After trying most of the tests you've run I concluded it must be a problem with the reversing valve.
If the fan motor is turning and the compressor is running, I think the problem has to be either reversing valve or system has been breeched and refrigerant leaked out.
If the problem was the circuit board or reversing coil, the unit would either heat or cool depending on its default state. But swapping parts has ruled those out.
Old 07-20-2022, 11:01 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Richard View Post
I have done a lot of testing with multimeter and verified capacitors and ohm readings to be in correct range. HOWEVER, I did not see any troubleshooting that included the reversing valve solenoid, so I went looking for information and did come up with a video and information of how to test it. Mine failed the test and was the source of my problems. I am very happy. MikeMo has a post that gave me the part number for a replacement. a lot of imported parts are hard to locate lately. Recommend getting a meter to test the capacitor and watch videos for trouble shooting!!
Richard, I did check the reversing solenoid and it's good. Last step is to check the caps (running and start). Beings that the compressor starts and continues to draw current (but doesn't cool or heat) I would think they are good.

Thanks for the input.
Old 07-20-2022, 11:25 AM   #12

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamcneil View Post
or system has been breeched and refrigerant leaked out.
This is what I'm thinking as well.

Doesn't make sense for the compressor to be running and neither cold nor hot air coming out.

I 'thought' these units would shut down the compressor if refrigerant was too low, but maybe that's not the case .

Tags
diplomat, monaco, monaco diplomat