Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2014, 04:38 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
2004 Monaco Dynasty 42' - Air levelling question

Hi folks. Just curious if what I have been experiencing from the time we bought our unit (used) is normal or if we have an issue.
Air brakes all work fine, no evidence of air leaks whatsoever for that part of the air system.
When I park the coach and use air level all works great. I do not leave it on auto as the sound of air dumping on occasion can startle neighbours. However within a day the unit is already low on the front so I do an auto adjustment. Within a couple of days or so I am bottomed out and if I left it on auto the electric compressor would do it's best to level the coach.
Is this normal that the air would escape out of the system that quickly? Or might I have some solenoids or other leaks relative to the air levelling system itself? Just wanted to gain some insights before I have my diesel shop access it when I take it in next.
Thoughts?
Thanks for your help!
Dave
Globetrotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2014, 04:54 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Mine takes about 3 weeks to get to bottom. I use auto all the time and never had anyone complain.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:46 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
You might have a small leak. Probably in one of the leveling valves or in air bags or air lines. Does it stay up in travel mode? If so that would point to the air leveling system. Does it alternately exhaust air and then turn on the air compressor in auto level mode? If so that means the humans moving around causes the leveling system to adjust. Sometimes mine will adjust when pulling out the basement storage tray all the way.
I leave mine on Auto but only occasionally hear the compressor cutting on. It depends on where I park and if I dump air to get it to level with the coach as low as possible to minimize entry step height.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:52 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Air levelling

Hi. It works fine in travel mode. When parked it doesn't alternate between dumping air and then the compressor kicking in unless when bottomed out it needs the compressor to push up a corner or end.
I am thinking it is one or more of the levelling valves leaking. I may have to have my shop look at it. I can supply the schematics for the valves which I hope are all easily accessible.
Based on what I am hearing so far it would seem to warrant investigation as it sounds like it should hold the air longer than it does.
Thanks for the info!
Dave
Old 06-23-2014, 05:53 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Dave you have a air leak, get a bottle of mirical bubbles ( the type used by kids to blow bubbles) put in a spray bottel and start spraying in the front area also spray the air leveling solenoid they could be leaking. Mike Carter had a good write up on how to repair or replace if leaking.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:10 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Air Levelling

Thanks Walt!
I assume the solenoids and lines should be reasonably easy to access/see with the coach aired up. I will give it try and look to check it all front to back while I am there.
I will also try to find the post you referenced.
Appreciated!
Dave
Old 06-23-2014, 06:44 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Yes the solenoids are behind the front axle and more to the passenger side just slide under behind the back of the front wheel and look up you will see your 12 volt air comp and toward the driver side the solenoid pack of about 8 solenoids , I would check the level control first its in the middle and hooked to the front axle then the air lines and air bags, if the coach has ever had a front blow out its a good chance that the wire out of the tire is in the air bag and leaking.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:55 PM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
Hi. It works fine in travel mode. When parked it doesn't alternate between dumping air and then the compressor kicking in unless when bottomed out it needs the compressor to push up a corner or end.
I am thinking it is one or more of the levelling valves leaking. I may have to have my shop look at it. I can supply the schematics for the valves which I hope are all easily accessible.
Based on what I am hearing so far it would seem to warrant investigation as it sounds like it should hold the air longer than it does.
Thanks for the info!
Dave
I would leave the leveling system turned on, and see how often your aux compressor needs to re-fill the tank.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:48 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
My compressor is above the REAR axle on the passenger side. I would not crawl under the coach to check for an air leak without BLOCKING it first....err on the side of CAUTION.....just sayin....Dennis
Executive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:10 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Check for leaks via conventional means. If you don't find any, do a search on this forum and see what one person found. He was very industrious and removed his air solenoids and found that there was an "O" ring buried inside, under the electrical coil, that leaked. A real good write up. Hope that isn't your problem but age suggests that it could be.
Good luck and safe travels!
BeltoneMagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:13 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeltoneMagoo View Post
Check for leaks via conventional means. If you don't find any, do a search on this forum and see what one person found. He was very industrious and removed his air solenoids and found that there was an "O" ring buried inside, under the electrical coil, that leaked. A real good write up. Hope that isn't your problem but age suggests that it could be.
Good luck and safe travels!
Where would I find this person you referred to? I have an 05 Monaco Windsor, that will drop completely on drivers side overnight.
Lawman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:07 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawman60 View Post
Where would I find this person you referred to? I have an 05 Monaco Windsor, that will drop completely on drivers side overnight.
That would be Mike Carter. Dave if you have HWH levleng sys your small 12 volt air compressor will be where I said under the passenger front and the first thing I would do is find out what is leaking before attempting to repair anything.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:30 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
There is an extremely good troubleshooting guide in the HWH service manual for the 2000 series on HWH website. The valves are RAP1940 and do have replaceable o rings. The info I have is the large one is 2-028 Buna-N 70D Black and 2-015 Buna N 70D Black for the small one. I have not replaced any of mine yet so I cannot verify this info I found on another forum. Be advised that removing these valves without having stands under the frame and air dumped could be asking for trouble.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:39 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
You mean I shouldn't have to start the coach to air up? I have an auxiliary compressor on my 2001 Dynasty HWH Air leveling?

Jeff
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco