Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2018, 12:32 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhcorrigan View Post
When trying to use prime button, is your ignition switch on, which it must be to function.

Mhcorrigan Yes with the Ignition switch on ........ and nothing.

Side note : I have changed these filter before over the past few years without the electric prime working and filled them both manually and with no issues

This site and you all are a fantastic resource

Thank you very much.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2018, 05:48 PM   #30

It sounds like you are losing your prime and it takes a while for the pump to pull the fuel
back up.
oldguy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 06:08 PM   #31

I did the new starter thing recently. However, my problem was a very slow crank that sounded like weak batteries (they are nearly new).
Here's the link for "someday" ....

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/new-...-a-401394.html
Old 08-27-2018, 07:39 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy70 View Post
It sounds like you are losing your prime and it takes a while for the pump to pull the fuel
back up.

I to have have came to the conclusion that losing prime is most likely the case and is a self inflicted wound when i changed the filters.

That being said it always starts ( long crank ) and runs fine. Im in Red Lodge MT headed west across Beartooth with it and dont have the filter so that said I am not going to address it until a way more convenient time and have the part in my hand. I dont know when that will be ........ but I will follow up later as to the cause and the fix.

Thanks to all that have replied ..... you make this moHo living thing much easier to say the least
Old 10-13-2018, 10:33 AM   #33

The Fix.........A Self-inflicted problem as I thought

While on the road I purchased a new Racor water separator filter while in Billings Montana but I waited to install it until I got back home or would do so if I had performance problems such as low / no power pulling log steep grades because we were running the Mountains for 6-7 weeks from Glacier to Santa Fe at the time.

We had no such performance problems on the road, so when I arrived back home and I addressed this very long cranking situation and installed the new Racor water separator filter ..... and did it CORRECTLY this time.

This video pretty much sums what I did in my haste changing the filter

I think that if you don't install the square cut seal on the stem on the bottom it won't cause a losing prime long crank starting issue it's when you get creative like I did and install the seal on the top as described in this video where it's not supposed to be that cause the losing it's prime issue.

Anywho I installed the new Racor filter as described and correctly and it now fires right up, be it cold 37 deg or hot 86 deg ( you get that weather all in one week here in the midwest right now LOL) and also tested sitting for days...in 3-5 seconds cranking time it's running.

Thanks to all that contributed to this thread and other threads also.

Happy Trails
Old 10-13-2018, 11:22 PM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you very much for the follow up info. I have the same filter combination.
Now it would be nice to know why the prime button is not working.
Is the prime button supposed activate the lift pump?
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 01:42 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
Thank you very much for the follow up info. I have the same filter combination.
Now it would be nice to know why the prime button is not working.
Is the prime button supposed activate the lift pump?

My electric prime pump button does not work either.

Any time I have changed this water separator filter I have never had to use the electric prime feature to get it going. That said it may have stumbled a bit but would always re- start cranking it over ....with the exception of maybe a longer than cranking on the initial startup

I saw the price of a new unit somewhere and IRC about choked.

I have changed that filter 3 times with no prime issues other than the last time when installing the square cut seal in the wrong place in my haste

Im thinking there is an electric motor in the filter housing unit itself but dont quote me on that.

At one point and time, I remember hunting down the Parker filter assembly with the manual prime using the rubber push button prime bulb and it was waaaaaay cheaper and just as effective and again used the same filter configuration.

Happy Trails.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:50 PM   #36

Disregard. Didn’t see that your electric prime is not working

Yodaman17
2004 HR Nav 40PBT
Yodaman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 12:46 AM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Sorry I did not see this post till today! Glad you found the problem!
My answer for you would have been, to pull the filter, before trying to start and see if it is half empty? If so, why? If you are having a hard start issue after changing the fuel filters, most of the time, you got a bad filter, (and yes, it does happen) or it was put on wrong, letting the fuel to get siphoned back into the tank!
35+ years of trucking, half of them as a O/O, I have seen my share of bad filters, or filters put on wrong!

The Schrader valve is for testing fuel pressure! If you opened that, you would let air into your fuel system!
Glad you got it going! Rail!

Tags
fire