Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2010, 12:46 PM   #1

2004 Signature Jake Brake Question

On a 2004 Signature with the Detroit 60 motor there is a added button/pedal on the floorboard of left side of the steering column. It is somehow used with the Jake Brake but I can't find any documentation as to what it does or how it should be used. Need help. Thanks
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2010, 09:20 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
On a 2004 Signature with the Detroit 60 motor there is a added button/pedal on the floorboard of left side of the steering column. It is somehow used with the Jake Brake but I can't find any documentation as to what it does or how it should be used. Need help. Thanks
Mike the foot switch engages the jake brake on whatever setting the hi/low button is in (on the pannel to your left hand rear of the transmition buttons)
Hold down the foot pedal for on and off is off ...simple
pipedream2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:24 AM   #3

Dennis, thanks for the response. I have just bought this MH and trying to figure it all out. What confuses me is I thought that if the rocker switch was on either in low or high then the Jake Brake automatically came on when one let up on the accelarator pedal. If so then why do I need this foot pedal?
Old 02-11-2010, 08:38 AM   #4

The foot petal is used because there is no off button (just high....all 6 cylinders and low......3 cylinders) to shut it down when there is stop and go traffic for instance or a area of hospitals or such where it is illegal to use engine brakes for the noise factor and you have control as to when it is applied.....much loader outside and back of the coach than it is in the drivers seat
Old 02-11-2010, 08:57 AM   #5

OK, now I am really confused, I had written an email to Monaco and asked them and what they told me was this.

Quote:
Normally the hi/low button is used to turn on the Jake brake in standby and the foot pedal is used to engage Jake. The computer can be programmed to turn the Jake on by letting off the gas but we don’t program them like that.

Dennis, your explanation sounds better. I guess I am just going to have to go out and drive it and test it.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:19 AM   #6

Hey Dennis, please email me at mike.c@mindspring.com.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:24 AM   #7

mike
The Monaco answer is pretty much what I have stated (they called it "stand-by") and when you require engine braking you would use the foot petal to engage it.Also it can be used while braking or coasting but not when coasting down hill when the cruse control is on.You would need to touch the brake petal to dis-engage the cruse and then foot petal the jake.
The reason Monaco said they dont program the computer to operate on the gas petal is for the noise factor I mentioned.Some over the road big rigs use the gas petal program for the jake because they have a left foot clutch to operate...cant do both ... and dont drive much in "quiet zones" often......they also have an off switch to shut down this feature when they do.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:56 AM   #8

Mike,

I have an '03 Sig with exactly the same setup as you. I have no idea about any standby mode. Consider the foot switch as the "on - off" switch. You will have to try it to be sure but I do not have to touch the cruise control. When I hit the food switch, the cruise disconnects and the Jake activates. When I take my foot off the switch I must hit the resume button on the cruise just as I would with the service brake or if the Jake was wired with a toggle switch for an off -on. The Jake will not come on if you hit the switch while your foot is on the throttle and it will turn off when the trans shifts to 1st gear if your foot is still on the switch. I love this set up because the Jake never activates & catches you unaware.

Steve O
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 08:12 PM   #9

Thanks Steve, I appreciate the info. Which motor do you have in your Sig?
Old 02-15-2010, 08:37 PM   #10

I have the Cummins ISM. All other drive train most likely is the same as yours. My wife & I have lived in ours full time for 3 years now. I am just completing the first maintenance cycle that I have done myself. If you have any questions, I'll help if I can.

Safe travels,

Steve O
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote