Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2021, 04:50 PM   #1

2005 - 2007 Holiday Rambler Navigator

DW and I are looking at used coaches and came across a couple of nice looking HR Navigators online. They look nice and well built. Can anyone clue me in to the quality of these coaches. The new models don't look nearly as nice or as well built. Thanks in advance.
NitroxAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2021, 05:28 PM   #2

IMHO it doesn't get much better. The Navigator coaches are at the top of the Holiday family of motorhomes, and that was the time period where the Monaco Coach produced coaches of truly great quality. We have an '06 Dynasty, which is a couple of trim packages below the Navigator, but built on the same chassis and with similar features. But the engine and drive train combinations on the Navigator make our coach look like an "also ran". If the coaches you are looking at are mechanically sound and fully serviceable with all of the systems and features, and don't have any cosmetic or maintenance deal breakers that you can find, either could be an awesome coach.

Monaco did do considerable design improvements for the 2006 model year that included a jump in technology such as the Intellitec multi-plex control system for lights, fans, slides, pumps, some HVAC controls, etc., and it is a nice system. Make sure it is all fully functional. They also made some significant improvements in the design and layout of the chassis and coach power distribution equipment.

Hopefully several with Navigator experience in the year range you are looking at, but from my experience with the '06 Dynasty, you are looking at a couple of great pieces of equipment.

Our '06 Dynasty is actually available for purchase now, but it is not due to any shortcomings or issues other than the fact that we don't feel that we need to continue to pilot 42' of awesomeness around the country any more. It has given us great service and still does, but we have given up on the snowbird lifestyle and are significantly altering what we need in an RV going forward. Other than that, we wouldn't trade our '06 for anything!
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 06:05 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
I looked at new rigs 3 years ago (was not impressed) before upgrading to a 10 year old 08 Navigator. After 3 years and 20K miles I’m happy with my choice. A HR Nav is priced between a Monaco Exe and Sig... all built on the same assembly line after 2004. The S10 chassis handles great plus plenty of CCC... 8000+ lbs. I still put in multiple 750+ mile days ...they handle that well. A Dynasty is a good rig too on the S10 chassis but most have the Cummins ISl... a good engine but 400-450 HP.

If you are tall, the higher ceilings of a 06 Sig, 07 Exe & Nav is nice. Quality is good and while I spent $5K on upgrades, all were things I wanted as everything worked. 1000W of solar, Silverleaf monitor, AGM house batteries, 2nd basement slide out tray, and 3 Smart LED TVs.

Unfortunately the Cummins ISX 600-650 HP engines are having an expensive valve problem ...$20K to $30K worth. No not all, the but even a few 525 HP too. I would pay more for a rig with a DD 60 engine or a Cummins ISM.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 06:27 PM   #4

How about availability of parts and service if something breaks?
NitroxAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 06:30 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
The Holiday Rambler Navigator is a near equal to the Monaco Executive. It was manufactured by the Monaco Coach Corp in Eugene OR. They are built on the Roadmaster S series chassis with 10 outboard airbags and 10 shocks. They came standard with the Cummins ISM 500hp with options for the Cummins ISX (525, 600, and 650hp versions) and the Detroit Series 60 engines. They also come with the Allison MH4000 6 speed transmission. You would have to spend $500k-$700k to get a new coach of this caliber.
These older coaches share nothing but the name with the new Navigator manufactured by Rev Group. The new Navigator is a rebranded Fleetwood product.

You can download the original brochure here:
https://www.holidayrambler.com/shop/research/brochures

These are large expensive coaches with multiple systems. I would recommend you have the coach inspected by a well qualified diesel coach inspector as well as having oil samples analyzed.

All motor homes are manufactured using common parts available from multiple suppliers. A few suppliers are no longer in business but most parts are shared by heavy trucks and buses so there are new sources available.

If you get serious about a particular coach let us know and we can give you a list of things to check.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 06:46 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Most of the chassis components are available as they are common truck components such as axles, brakes, transmission etc. Same with the engine. Generators can last a long time and are used in lots of different applications so parts and service is pretty much available.

Most of the appliances can easily be replaced and upgraded such as the AC units, microwave, refrigerators, inverters, transfer switches etc. A lot of owners have removed the RV type refrigerators and upgraded to residential.

Some of the electronic systems are becoming obsolete but there are several companies that can repair them. The newer the coach the more electronics and the more complicated the systems and difficult to troubleshoot.

I own a 2002 Windsor, ~3 steps down from the Navigator. The only component that I have on my rig that I would have a hard time replacing is the ABS module, I know that it is obsolete but might be repairable. If not used ones can sometimes be found.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 06:51 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I think the others have covered just about everything I would say. The HR Navigator, Monaco Executive and Monaco Signature were in my opinion amongst some of the best, quality built production coaches money could buy of the era. If you wanted something nicer, you were only looking at custom Newell, Wanderlodge or Prevosts, above them.

If we were to ever consider trading to a newer coach from our 2001 Sig, a 2005 - 2007 Navigator with the DD60 would be at the top of the list.

All the best with your search! If you find one in great shape and well cared for, you would be hard pressed to find a better value for your money. Seriously great coaches.

Keep us posted on your progress!
Josh
Our 2001 Signature Repairs & Upgrades Thread
JJTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 07:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
The only component that I have on my rig that I would have a hard time replacing is the ABS module, I know that it is obsolete but might be repairable. If not used ones can sometimes be found.
Funny you mention that. My rig is an entry level diesel with 6 lug wheels. I had to bypass my ABS module as it would not let me bleed the right rear brake. That was 20K miles ago. I could probably source a new or used module for 1.5K to 2K if I had to, but why?
Mile Marker 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 04:36 AM   #9

From a full timer with a 45' 2007 Navigator with a DD Series 60, we are very pleased. We have 164,000 miles on it, have done quite a few renovations, but it has been a solid, reliable performer. Each year we look at the new ones and each year decide our coach is about as perfect as they come. At this level many of the new things are already here, not the electronics so much, TV's etc will need to be upgraded if not done already, but we have dual leveling hyd jacks/air, Vorad collision and adaptive cruise, AquaHot, AGM's, Girard awnings, rails and higher ceiling in the 2007, etc. It sure works for us.
Bill767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 11:40 AM   #10

IMHO the 05 to 07 Navigator is top of the line, was looking at them before I settled on my Exec which was owned by a friend of mine.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 10:38 PM   #11

07 HR Navigator 45PBQ

I purchased my Navigator in October and have to say it is by far the nicest coach out of any I've been thru, including my buddies brand new 2021 Entegra. Yes, his has new cool features but in terms of build quality, you will be hard pressed to find anything comparable under $750K. Drives great, has the DD 60. Systems are usually the biggest issue on these as they have many and were ahead of their time. So a well maintained coach is worth the extra money. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0065.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	292.9 KB
ID:	314740
Jeepincam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 04:20 AM   #12

That's a twin of ours! Except we have Girard slide toppers.
Bill767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 10:27 AM   #13

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill767 View Post
That's a twin of ours! Except we have Girard slide toppers.
I think we are looking at triplets here. Mine is the runt of the litter though at 40 foot
Attached Images

Tags
2007, holiday rambler