RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2020, 08:51 PM   #1

2005 Camelot, 12V goes out intermittently, ??? CHANGE OUT INVERTER ???

Hi All,

we have a 2005 Monaco Camelot.

The 12V system is going out intermittently (complete loss of 12V power, AC is fine). We are plugged in continuously for many months.

When I checked this morning, the 12V was out. Several hours later it healed itself, and turned back on, all by itself. It is on right now.

Over the past few weeks, I started to notice that the water pump was turned off, which it does when the power goes out, and then turns back on (the water pump stays off). So my initial reaction is, it is getting worse. TIME TO FIX IT.

So, I'm thinking of just changing out the Xantrex RV2012 Inverter/Charger.

But, As I have learned over and over, best to get forum advise.

So, if changing it out is best, Change it out with what make/model Inverter/Charter (I like to do it myself).

So, if no change out, what next ????

!!! Thanks In Advance !!!!
BobnSofi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2020, 09:07 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Most likely Bigboy solenoid.
Old 08-13-2020, 09:13 PM   #3

Donít know if I would go there first. Loose wires, thermal cycling on a relay and if itís like mine there are at least a couple of relays involved in the 12 volt system. If you can get a schematic of that system it would help. 1 troubleshooting approach is if you find a component that you suspect and you know it should be closed then jump around it and see if the problem clears. Replacing a inverter would be the expensive way to troubleshoot
kenwyatt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 10:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfire1339 View Post
so, the Bigboy solenoid is separate unit located in the side electrical compartment, and not a part of the Xantrex RV2012 Inverter/Charger ???

We, of course, have a manual perko switch to turn off the 12V system (duh).

I would like to fix this before it fails for good, as we are currently located in an area with minimal local parts, so everything is likely internet order.

I have had to replace Inverter/Charger's before in other rv's. Just seems like a 16 year old Inverter/Charger has lived it's useful life, but perhaps not.
BobnSofi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 10:44 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I'd check the perko, battery disconnect switch ("salesman" switch--sorry Twinboats, I couldn't resist), and battery connections before I threw $1500-2000 at a inverter/charger.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 12:16 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfire1339 View Post
Not the big boy, that jumps between the house and chassis battery.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 12:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnSofi View Post
so, the Bigboy solenoid is separate unit located in the side electrical compartment, and not a part of the Xantrex RV2012 Inverter/Charger ???

We, of course, have a manual perko switch to turn off the 12V system (duh).

I would like to fix this before it fails for good, as we are currently located in an area with minimal local parts, so everything is likely internet order.

I have had to replace Inverter/Charger's before in other rv's. Just seems like a 16 year old Inverter/Charger has lived it's useful life, but perhaps not.
Your 12 volt power is going on and off, that's not the inverter/charger. If it was that, the batteries would slowly go dead, not switch off then on in short order.
Old 08-14-2020, 12:21 AM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Have you checked your batteries? Water levels etc. Some converters need the batteries to be good to work right.
Old 08-14-2020, 12:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbill View Post
I'd check the perko, battery disconnect switch ("salesman" switch--sorry Twinboats, I couldn't resist), and battery connections before I threw $1500-2000 at a inverter/charger.
They don't call the Perko switch a " Salesmen switch ". Perko switchs are manual turn, master battery disconnect switchs.

What's called the "Salesman switch " is the small switch near the door that operates the battery disconnect latching relay.

See what happens when you use names of things not labeled as such.

The latching relay may be failing. You need to be there when the power goes out and switch that battery disconnect switch, near the entrance, off and on, to see if it gets the power back on. Then suspect the latching relay.
Old 08-14-2020, 09:24 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
They don't call the Perko switch a " Salesmen switch ". Perko switchs are manual turn, master battery disconnect switchs.

What's called the "Salesman switch " is the small switch near the door that operates the battery disconnect latching relay.

See what happens when you use names of things not labeled as such.

The latching relay may be failing. You need to be there when the power goes out and switch that battery disconnect switch, near the entrance, off and on, to see if it gets the power back on. Then suspect the latching relay.
I wasn't very clear but I was also poking at you. I have a rotary dial battery cut off switch by the batteries, not Perko brand, but same concept. Mine failed years ago and I replaced both the chassis and house battery switch. If he has a battery disconnect switch up by front door, it very well could be the relay that is controlled by that switch failing or being intermittent, but that has nothing to do with the Perko switch.

and I do agree with you about not using the term "Salesman switch". It's misleading for many.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 11:47 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Bob&Sofi --

Does your coach have the Multiplex Lighting System -- If so, your problem may be in that system -- It`s very complicated -- Open your AC load center & see if there`s a flat piece of plastic, about 4 inches long, laying horizontal under the breakers with black wires going to it -- That could be where your problem lies -- Bill Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 02:42 PM   #12

Find the house battery disconnect relay. Move big cables to same lug to bypass temporarily ,see if solves issue.
153stars is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter