Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2010, 02:12 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
2005 Diplomat 40PDQ air dump

Looking for a little information, help. We just traded our 2008 HR Vacationer,"hated how it handled" for a 2005 Monaco Diplomat 40PDQ. Have only had it a couple days and when dumping the air bags I notice that the back seems to be lower than the front. Is this normal? We do love the way it handles and rides, lots of room with the 4 slides. Thanks for any info you can give me. Jim
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2010, 03:50 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
cabin man....You should be able to feel the front and rear of the coach (as it airs down) hit the stops. I slide a pencil under the air dump switch so I don't have to hold it while I do other things.

Something you should have checked is your ride height since you're a new owner. It's easily done by just measuring the bags while kneeling alongside the coach. The measurements will be in the spiral bound manual if all the manuals were there when you bought the coach.

I have the same coach in the 36'. I'm intimately familiar with everything on the 2005 Diplomats. If you have any other questions....fire away or send me a PM.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 06:05 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
You have two mac dump valves on the rear and only one on the front just hold it down until it settles where you want it.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 06:36 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the info. I found the section on ride hieght and will go out and check it in the morning, I had done a little research earlier and did the trick with a clothes pin and most of it aired down, how long does it normally take to air down, this seemed to take a long time, maybe half hour. Thanks Jim
Old 10-31-2010, 07:25 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Jim
If you are using the air dump switch to dump all the air, it will take a while. The book on my 2008 Endeavor says to pump the brakes until the tank goes down then use the air dump switch to lower the suspension air bags, it works pretty fast that way.

"Lower the air suspension by stepping on the brake several times until system air pressure is below 60 psi. With the ignition on, push and hold the Air Dump switch to lower the suspension. This reduces the amount the jack will need to extend before making contact with the surface."

Dennis
DennisZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:45 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Dennis, I'll give that a try, makes sense to me.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:52 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisZ View Post
Jim
If you are using the air dump switch to dump all the air, it will take a while. The book on my 2008 Endeavor says to pump the brakes until the tank goes down then use the air dump switch to lower the suspension air bags, it works pretty fast that way.

"Lower the air suspension by stepping on the brake several times until system air pressure is below 60 psi. With the ignition on, push and hold the Air Dump switch to lower the suspension. This reduces the amount the jack will need to extend before making contact with the surface."

Dennis
Just be careful not to apply full brakes with the park brake set, according the the air brake test that could cause damage just fan them.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:20 AM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
cabin man.....You should be dumping enough air to empty the bags in under 3-4 minutes. Your gauge should get down to about 50-60 psi when the bags are empty. You also have air tan bleeders at the front and rear of the coach. You should drain these completely about once a month or so. The rear one is mounted on the passenger side of the hitch. If you slide the generator out you'll see the front one just to the left (passenger side) of the generator along with a couple of air chucks. One of the chucks is for towing (tow truck driver connects air to lift your bags and release brakes) and the other is for use with an air hose.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:41 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Don, I'll check the tank drains, it seems as it the front bags aren't emptying. The back go right down good but the front don't seem to lower at all. I will be puting motorhome in winter storeage on Wednesday, so would like to figure this part out before then. Thanks Jim
Old 11-03-2010, 08:24 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My '04 Dip 40' sits a little lower in the rear when air is low or dumped.
or: '08 Buick Lucerne
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:50 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Robi, I just put motorhome in storage for the winter. It wasn't letting air out of the front bags, I looked on the firewall by the generator and tapped on the relay hoping that it was stuck but didn't make a difference. Will have to wait till April now to fix it. Thanks everyone for the advice, I'll be looking for more in the spring I'm sure.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:04 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
With air still in the front bags but gone from the rear? Wow. Your rig must look like it's doing a wheel-y. Ye Ha. "See ya" next Spring.
or: '08 Buick Lucerne
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote