Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2016, 07:14 PM   #15

Jeff,
no mine is a little more involved.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0158.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	356.1 KB
ID:	124764  
bpotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2016, 07:30 AM   #16

Byron,

I don't see the BIRD in that picture. I do see an Intellitec board on the left, perhaps that is it without the plastic cover.

Mine is in the rear run box inside the engine compartment, but my box looks a lot different. My BigBoy is mounted pointing up, on the top of the box, with the BIRD tucked into the corner beside it.

Regarding the solar, good catch. I wired mine into both the coach and chassis because Monaco only wired it to the coach and let the BIRD/BigBoy system engage to charge the chassis side. I didn't like that because the chassis side would not charge with the disconnect switch thrown, so I wired the solar controller to both. There should be a fuse in line with the wiring to battery, and I pull the fuse when working on the electrical systems, as well as cutting off the batteries with the disconnect switch.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 04:06 PM   #17

when I opened up the old big boy, it is surprising any power was working at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0179.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	124919  
Old 04-22-2016, 04:15 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by distaff View Post
Byron,

I don't see the BIRD in that picture. I do see an Intellitec board on the left, perhaps that is it without the plastic cover.

Mine is in the rear run box inside the engine compartment, but my box looks a lot different. My BigBoy is mounted pointing up, on the top of the box, with the BIRD tucked into the corner beside it.

Regarding the solar, good catch. I wired mine into both the coach and chassis because Monaco only wired it to the coach and let the BIRD/BigBoy system engage to charge the chassis side. I didn't like that because the chassis side would not charge with the disconnect switch thrown, so I wired the solar controller to both. There should be a fuse in line with the wiring to battery, and I pull the fuse when working on the electrical systems, as well as cutting off the batteries with the disconnect switch.

In the pic, the BIRD board is on the far right of the box. It's the board with the 2 little yellow buttons on the left edge of the board.

I have to say, that is a seriously nasty BigBoy internals.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 04:24 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by distaff View Post
Byron,

In the pic, the BIRD board is on the far right of the box. It's the board with the 2 little yellow buttons on the left edge of the board.

Old 04-22-2016, 06:28 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post

Thanks Steve, If things quit that board will be the next suspect replacement. So far so good though with the charging now.
Old 04-22-2016, 10:32 PM   #21

Good catch, Steve. That is nothing like the one I have, maybe because I've got a plastic cover on mine. It is also not wired in a similar way, and mine has no buttons. It may be a different system. The service manual I posted is the part I have.

It is worth noting that I've had several problems with my system and it has never been the BIRD system. My BigBoy was dirty (nothing as bad as Byron's), a secondary relay that combined the Boost switch and the BIRD outputs to the BigBoy (a $5 part) was bad, and a bad temperature sensor causing the inverter to put out such a low voltage on float charging that it would never trigger the BIRD system so my chassis batteries would die from the drains.

Add to that the condition of the batteries themselves, and the state of the connections, and you can have some fun with charging systems.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 07:50 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpotter View Post
Thanks Steve, If things quit that board will be the next suspect replacement. So far so good though with the charging now.

I notice from the pic of your rear run box that the two solenoids to the right of the Big Boy and to the left of the circuit board still appear to be in OEM configuration. Those two (look like old starter solenoids) are controlled by the "salesman" switch close to the door. If you don't use that switch, you might consider jumpering the big lugs and disconnecting and taping off the small wires. These solenoids are high failure points and if you don't use the function, taking them out of the circuit will save you some future grief. As I understand it, one of these sends 12 VDC to the front run bay and the other to the domestic 12 VDC fuse box usually somewhere in the rear of the coach.

If you want to troubleshoot the BIRD circuit board, call Monaco Tech support while standing at the rear with the box open with a VOM in hand & they will be happy to walk you through it. The circuit board changed at some point over the years it was used and a second ground wire was added, but the tech support guys will know what you have.
Old 04-26-2016, 05:38 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
How long should it take to actuate and de-actuate the Big Boy when the master disconnect is turned on or off? Mine takes several minutes.
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 11:11 AM   #24

BIRD replacement

Has anyone replaced an OEM BIRD with the current Diesel-2? It it a simple swap out or was there wiring modification requirements?
loligag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, charging