Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2018, 09:10 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
2005 Holiday Rambler Neptune

We looked at and test drove a 2005 Neptune 32PBD which is actually 33'7". I drove it on several secondary roads and the interstate as I am concerned about a rough ride after reading comments on here. Other than a few spots most of the roads were fairly smooth. It handled very well and I was comfotable steering with one hand. Had several big trucks pass us when we were doing 6o then 65 mph with no buffeting. I did crawl under and could tell the trailing arms had been replaced with what looked to me the ones fron Source Engineering. Shocks were yellow colored but I could not tell the brand. It does need new tires and at 65K miles I want to replace the shocks too. Is there a way to tell if there was a Ride Enhancement Kit installed? My thought is if installing new shocks I might as well consider the kit. Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions? Thanks in advance.
PaulaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2018, 10:10 AM   #2

Good morning PaulaB; I would contact Source in Coburg,Oregon. I am sure they can tell you what to look for. I don't know how they track their products installed on coaches. As for the Neptune, my first Monaco was an 2000 32' Windsor. Real short wheel base and it rode ruff. The Windsor had the 8 air bag chassis where the Neptune has only 4. You can do some research by asking questions at he top right of this page in this forum, like for ride, handling etc. Short diesel pushers have what they can call the tail wagging the dog. Handling and ride is usually not the same as a longer wheel base coach. I now have an 01 34' Windsor and the extra 19" in wheel base makes some difference. But, if you like the coach and it has been maintained, go get it. Not a lot of 32' diesel coaches out there. My sister in law and her husband had an 03 34' Neptune and it served them very well with little problems. Let us know what you decide to do. Good luck!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 10:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaB View Post
We looked at and test drove a 2005 Neptune 32PBD which is actually 33'7". I drove it on several secondary roads and the interstate as I am concerned about a rough ride after reading comments on here. Other than a few spots most of the roads were fairly smooth. It handled very well and I was comfotable steering with one hand. Had several big trucks pass us when we were doing 6o then 65 mph with no buffeting. I did crawl under and could tell the trailing arms had been replaced with what looked to me the ones fron Source Engineering. Shocks were yellow colored but I could not tell the brand. It does need new tires and at 65K miles I want to replace the shocks too. Is there a way to tell if there was a Ride Enhancement Kit installed? My thought is if installing new shocks I might as well consider the kit. Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions? Thanks in advance.
PaulaB, I have an 07 Neptune that I've had since it was new in 07. I've done quite a bit of work to my coach to make it ride/handle much better. My thoughts on folks saying the ride is harsh is dependant on what the basis is. If comparing to the Monaco 8 bag chassis, yes it is rougher (in stock rr4r form). If comparing to a gas chassis (I've had both Ford and workhorse chassis) then it is better in stock form, however not a tremendous amount. Once the Source ride enhancement kit (rek) is installed it is considerably better, and closer to the ride of the 8 bag chassis Monaco. One must keep in mind, the 4 bag chassis is lower down the food chain (less $$$) than the 8 bag chassis, therefore wouldn't be expected to ride as good.

If the REK has been installed you should see yellow shocks with a light blue dust cover at the top. These are Bilstein shocks and are specially valved by Source Engineering. Also, you should notice orange air hoses going to each of the new airbags. These orange (at least mine are) hoses are bigger diameter allowing more air in/out of the air bag. Lastly, if you crawl under the front right behind the axle you can follow the orange hoses to an approximate 3 gallon tank which is the ping tank. This tank is like a bladder to allow a place for air to escape to as the air bag compresses and rebounds from road irregularities.

Hope I've helped and not confused you. If I can help further please let me know.

Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 02:15 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for the information. I looked at the Neptune again and it does not have the Ride Enhancement Kit. We still have not decided if this is the one yet. We looked at a 2004 Endevor PBDD with the RR8R chassis and will drive that before making a decision. I like the idea of the smaller neptune but am still concerned about a rough ride.
PaulaB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
holiday rambler