Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2018, 08:43 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
2005 Monaco Diplomat PAQ leaking driver side windshield top

I am researching all and any information on repair or replace of windshield because water leak top left of diver position. It had leaked before I purchased it by a repair that somebody did by putting a insert molding into the original moulding. I have had the windshield leak down the molding puddle up inside as the windshield curves back down to level headed toward the co pilot side but only runs about 4 to 5 inch's and stop's. After reading about floating windshields threw me off of me trying to re-seal the windshield with some kind of sealer. I called around my small areas for windshield replacements and repair and nobody want to fool with it as it out of my pocket and not a Insurance claim. Anybody got ideas on anything even if they are funny I'm ready to try just about anything.
Thanks
maxwell18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2018, 10:44 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I had mine pop out of the seal while leveling. I could see daylight at times. Ultimately it cracked the top right corner. I replaced it a month ago and all good again. $2850.00. But I had insurance so only paid the deductible. 2006 Diplomat
Old 12-20-2018, 11:13 PM   #3
rgl

Monaco Owners Club
I’ve had similar issues with our Camelot. Three places at different time have leaked small amounts of water.

One on the right when we were parked in the rain (rare for us) would make the carpet to the right of the steps wet. First I thought it was AC condensate. Then it happened while parked for several days and more rain.

Second was a few drips down the center of the windshield while driving in the rain, which had to be getting past the windshield seal.

Third is on the driver side. Doesn’t seem to leak but the seal curls in beside the windshields edge and causes a whistle after the coach leans a certain way. I have some wide black Gorilla that I tape over it to avert the whistle, eventually the rocking of the coach undoes the tape.

There is considerable flex such that the windshield may slide up and down as much as a half inch from the body.

I solved all leaking issues by applying some clear silicone to the windshield where it meets the seal and forcing it in with my finger. It is not visible and has 8000 miles of rain snow and flexing, making that fix the simplistic by far of any done on the coach.

Replacing these big “Panavision” windshields is not cheap and perhaps even scarier is finding a good installer. I watched one being done at Quartzsite last year and was surprised to see I could fit my fingers between the seal and the glass on one corner!

Try cleaning the glass and seal and applying a little silicone!
Old 12-21-2018, 07:24 AM   #4

Had similar problems with my 2005 Knight. Mostly when driving in a heavy rain it would leak down from the upper seal. Applied urethane sealant and solved the problem.

I have since replaced both sides of the windshield (my bad luck) and the installers applied a bead of the same sealant around the edge of the rubber seal when installing.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Good Luck with the project!
Old 12-21-2018, 08:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by xydial View Post
Had similar problems with my 2005 Knight. Mostly when driving in a heavy rain it would leak down from the upper seal. Applied urethane sealant and solved the problem.

I have since replaced both sides of the windshield (my bad luck) and the installers applied a bead of the same sealant around the edge of the rubber seal when installing.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Good Luck with the project!
I used the same 3m urethane resealing the top mf my windshields. Carefully removed the old seal by pulling the seal back then shot a good bead down inside filling the gap between glass and fiberglass. Fingers crossed no leaks yet. Use gloves that stuff is hard to get off your hands.
Old 12-21-2018, 09:52 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Usually windshield issues start when leveling improperly. Sometimes just driving off an incline or through a dip can cause it.
You can patch it with silicone or urethane for now, but eventually the windshield needs to be reinstalled with a new gasket by a competent motor home glass installer.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 10:14 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I would go with the urethane. You can get it at NAPA. It would unlock the seal and then squirt it in between the seal and the cap then relook the seal. Be sure to relive the seal before it cures. Best to stay away from silicone for this repair since it will be very painful to remove and clean whenever the time comes that you need the windshield replaced. When I had mine replaced I had them urethane the seal to the cap and also urethane the glass to the seal. The urethane and the seal are both flexible enough to allow some movement while keeping it from leaking. Two years and no movement of the seal and no leaks
Chargerman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 01:44 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I had leaking windshield issues on 2001 Diplomat that were getting progressively worse. Last spring took it to glass installer that does all varieties of vehicles. Remove any old sealant and recaulked. About 1 hr and materials came to about $80. 9000 miles later and all is well. Neat, clean job by someone who knows what they are doing. Money well spent. Good luck, Don
DiplomatDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 03:03 PM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Don't use any sealant with silicone !
If you do, and down the road your windshield needs replacing, any shop worth using, will immediately throw away the gasket, plus extra hours of work preparing the hole, so they can urethane in the new gasket.
Recently went through this! RV Glass solutions needed to know if the product I used to fill a gap between gasket and body, had any silicone in it. Luckily, it didn't!
Old 12-21-2018, 06:15 PM   #10

Always use urethane. Never use silicone as others have pointed out. The trick to urethane or any sealer is a clean, uncontaminated surface. Many urethanes used for vehicles require a same like brand prep or primer before applying the urethane. Just the oil off your fingers can contaminate a sealing surface enough that the urethane can't adhere. Contaminated bonding surface is a big issue when using urethane. Surface preparation is very important for a good seal. If done correctly, you should not see an exposed bead of urethane on the rubber gasket or the body when sealed. With that said though, I've seen many installers apply a very, very small black silicone bead across the top, making contact with the painted surface and the rubber gasket, only as added insurance to deflect water over the top edge of the gasket should the urethane seal fail. Not that I recommend it, but if you choose to do this, the bead must be so small that it barely overlaps the paint and gasket. Don't make a big silicone mess and never put silicone between the gasket and body. It contaminates the gasket and you will have to replace it. Silicone sticks to the painted surface very well and is difficult to remove later without paint damage. Not sticking so well to the gasket. Because silicone doesn't stick to the gasket over time, this trick is only affective for the top leak if the coach is parked. It's deflecting water past the water entry point. It's only a patch over the real problem. Personally, I would never put silicone on my gasket anywhere. It's Mickey Mouse at it's best. You should have it done professionally if your not sure what your doing. Now retired, I was in the glass business for forty years. Good luck.
Old 12-26-2018, 09:42 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Mine was marker light full of water

Tags
driver, leak, monaco, monaco diplomat, windshield