RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2020, 03:02 AM   #1

2005 Monaco Dynasty electrical problem

I changed out my primary fuel filter a couple of days ago. Tried to prime the filter, but to my surprise, the chassis batteries were dead even though they were plugged into shore power. Tried the battery boost with no luck.
It appears that suddenly shore power is not charging the chassis batteries, but is charging the house batteries. My understanding is once the house batteries are full the system then it charges the chassis batteries. All batteries are about a year old. I then replaced the BigBird Solenoid and charged the chassis batteries with regular external battery charger. All charged now. Tried to start the coach again, but no luck at all - absolutely nothing worked. Nothing lights up on the dash, transmission or panel to put the motorhome into travel mode. Tried to start the generator. Nothing at all. Tried to open the generator slide - nothing. Tried to start the engine with the rear/front start in the engine compartment. No response at all. And the only other odd thing - the monitor on the Aladdin on the dash shows no display now. That was working prior to the this. All DC items work. I have checked all the fuses.
Not sure where to begin now. Any guidance would be much appreciated!
ktwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2020, 07:29 AM   #2

I would start by checking the ground cable connections at the engine and chassis .

Are you sure the boost is operating ? Have someone listen .

You said " All DC items work " , you mean coach / house items ?

Ray
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 09:37 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Mine did the same thing and the first thing I checked was the battery disconnect, which failed. No power at all to the chassis. Check it with a multimeter. To get by I just bypassed, bolting both wires together and taping.

This would also explain why the chassis battery went bad.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 10:57 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
The battery disconnect switches often fail. Here's a good replacement rated at over 1200 amps.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HT19T5V...v_lig_dp_it_im
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 12:28 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I think you tried to fix it correctly, but Bill may be right about the cutoff switch.

I assume you have checked for corroded terminals?
When you disconnect the chassis battery, what is the voltage reading checking directly on the battery terminals?
What is the voltage reading on each of the two large lugs on the bottom of the Intellitec Big Boy solenoid? Check from each lug to a good ground.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 02:44 PM   #6

DId you possibly turn the rear run box starting switch to off or rear?
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 04:10 PM   #7

Welcome to the forum, have you had your RV for awhile or is it a new purchase.
I use attached to charge chassis batteries.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Echo-charge-OwnerGuide(445-0204-01-01).pdf (618.4 KB, 3 views)
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 02:19 AM   #8

We checked all the ground cable chassis battery and engine connections, and all were good. The battery disconnect operated properly when tested with the multimeter. Checked the lugs at the bottom of the BigBoy and they checked out great. No corrosion on the terminals. The starter switched were in the proper position depending on when we started it from the front or the rear. Tried again starting it from the rear. Absolutely no response. Tried the boost. No sounds, no response. Still no response when I put the key in the ignition. No dash lights, transmission lights, etc.
Interesting though, that the switch to open the generator slide came to life and the generator is available to start, which brings me to the next question. Since my primary fuel filter for the engine has not been primed yet, is the use of the generator going to be a problem? Not sure if it is associated with the generator in some way that could cause a problem.
ktwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 08:37 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Using the generator should not be a problem.

Did you check voltage starting at the battery then working your way down the wiring.

Did you check the main 12 volt power supply to the front of the coach, there is probably a "+" post either on the firewall and/or in the drivers side run bay.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 09:33 AM   #10

On our coach, an '06 Dynasty, the "ignition" key has to be on for the Rear Start switch to function. Just checking.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical, monaco, monaco dynasty, problem