Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2020, 06:52 PM   #1

2005 Monaco Executive VIP smartwheel

Anyone have the answer for this.

My cruise button and horn button would blow the horn cruise is inop. I turned the head lights on and the horn button does not work and the cruise on off button still blows horn. Before I ordered a new VIP Controller I decided to clean the connectors and did some with connector cleaner spray. Know the cruise button blows the horn and the horn button sets the cruise on. Light illuminates and the idle can be increased by continuing to depress the horn button. Turning the headlights on now has now affect on any Smart wheel button. What the heck?

Has anyone had an issue similar to this?
1ghostrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2020, 07:05 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
You might want to talk with these guys. Good Luck
https://www.irv2.com/forums/search.p...rchid=27463648

I think member hypoxia had the most recent post.
engine103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 07:20 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Here is a link to the VIP technical support page
https://www.vipwheels.com/technical-support
scroll down and find you wheel and download the trouble shooting guide.

The smartwheel communicates to the module via the clock spring. Here is a link to the clock spring that is my rig, yours may be different.
https://www.rvchassisparts.com:8443/...is/runApp?id=5
My steering column was made by Douglas Autotech, here is a link to there site for service parts, type in 1900043 and it will let you download a service bulletin on how to change the clock spring.

Service Parts | Douglas Autotech Corporation

Sometimes its the clock spring, sometimes its the VIP module, you'll have to do some troubleshooting to figure it out.

FWIW, I've got hundreds of files and parts pages I've collected for my rig over the years. Try to help as many people as I can. Hopefully this has helped you.

Good Luck
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 08:01 PM   #4

Thanks for the info. I have contacted VIP and they have the controller available. There are only four wires to the controller and they seem fine. I don't see any frayed wiring. It seem odd that the issues changed when I sprayed the cleaner in the connectors to clean the die electric grease out of the connectors. The power for the horn and cruise are next to each other on the connector,
Old 03-12-2020, 07:52 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
The clock spring probably has a higher rate of failure then the VIP controller. There are some specific tests you can do on the controller. Mine is located under the dash, not easy to get to. One of the easiest things to do is check the connections on the VIP module by unplugging and plugging back in the harnesses. There is also a harness on the steering column, I have read there have been instances where the wires on the steering column become frayed. I would check as much as possible before changing parts.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 05:17 PM   #6

2005 Monaco executive VIP smart wheel

I contacted VIP smart wheel and they will manufacture me a new VIP SM210 smart wheel controller at a cost of $185.00. It's nice to see a company that stands behind their product!
Old 04-19-2020, 11:02 AM   #7

2005 Monaco executive VIP smart wheel

Installed new from VIP and everything works like advertised!
Old 04-19-2020, 07:53 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Thanks for posting your solution.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 07:05 AM   #9

Fantastic, Ghost Rider

Quick note on the clock spring. It is a common failure item, but it is not function specific, typically. There are four conductors in the spring. Two are power and ground for the backlighting on the buttons, and two are for the multiplex signal circuitry. All of the control functions go thru those same two conductors.

The clock spring serves exactly the same function as do brushes on a DC motor. But since in this situation the rotating part has turning limits in both directions, they can actually let the wires follow the rotation and still stay connected. It's a bit more reliable and less subject to contamination than brushes would be. Pretty good design, really.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco