RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2020, 11:42 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Monaco used several kinds of mechanisms on the bed slide it seems. There can be rollers on the floor, rollers on the bottom of the bed frame and a mechanism under the bed. I would guess that if it has the electric slide motor and the mechanism under the bed, it can easily be adjusted both under the bed and the rollers at the side wall riding on the bottom of the slide, which are probably to high if the top of slide is catching. In either case, Motorhomes of Texas is more than able to adjust that slide or replace whatever has worn to cause it to drag. On ours, one of the rollers at the wall had the rubber peel off the roller causing the slide to drag. It may not be a difficult fix or just an adjustment. In either case, that in itself sould not be a deal breaker, just have them take care of it. Hope this may help, Happy trails Bert
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2020, 11:53 AM   #16

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
That's pretty common. There's rollers mounted to the floor, that the bedbox rides on. They can be adjusted to raise the bedbox higher, so that you have nearly no imprints on the carpet. Go too high with these rollers, you change the geometry of the slide / bedbox to the point your wall slide seal, is fully compressed at the top, and not even touching the wall at the bottom!

Yeah, I've spent my fair share of time tweaking rollers on that slide.
Old 05-24-2020, 12:40 PM   #17

Whew...that's good info! Thanks so much folks! I'm 'starting' to feel a little better about this rig, but wow...buying remote is TOUGH! I just feel like I need to put my hands and eyes on everything before I commit to anything.

So, full disclosure: We put a deposit down, which is fully refundable, and will be getting an inspector to look at it next week along with fluid test.

We have walked through a similar rig here in Spokane, a 2007 (one year newer) Monaco Camelot 42DSQ, so we know we'll love the rig...IF....everything we see in the video and pictures are true.

So, posting this question again as I don't see anyone responding to it, and perhaps I should post it somewhere else? Here it is:

Quick question in regards to inspections, do you do ALL the fluids?

Engine Oil
Engine Coolant
Transmission Fluid
Generator Oil
Generator Coolant (Does this rig have this?)
Aqua-Hot or Hydro-Hot Systems

I got this list off an inspectors site and the last one caught my attention...what would getting the Aqua-Hot systems fluid check actually find? I guess what I'm really asking, is this one necessary?

Thanks again folks for all you help.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 02:42 PM   #18

I would definitely have a couple of fresh supplemental coolant additive (SCA) test strips with me. It's possible a previous owner has changed coolant over to OAT coolant, which doesn't require SCA, but if the coach has standard HD Diesel coolant, I'd run the engine for a bit, then pull a sample and check for SCA level.

Too many RV owners know nothing about this, and therefore don't keep on top of it. If the sample read little to no SCA in the coolant, there's a chance of serious engine damage. I'd walk!!
Old 05-25-2020, 03:55 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMoot View Post
ms

I got this list off an inspectors site and the last one caught my attention...what would getting the Aqua-Hot systems fluid check actually find? I guess what I'm really asking, is this one necessary?

Thanks again folks for all you help.
The Aqua-Hot check would include using a refractometer to measure the index of refraction of the boiler fluid ( tells you if it is the correct mix based on manufactures recommendation think of a car radiator - needs correct mix to work properly). He should also look at the burner and operate the heating system etc.

They are cheap and I carry one to check the boiler fluid in my aqua hot.

https://www.amazon.ca/Antifreeze-Ref...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
cvbdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 04:03 PM   #20

Ha, recently bought that same refractometer for checking boiler fluid/ antifreeze !
Works great, calibrated perfectly out of the box.
Old 05-26-2020, 04:17 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Ha, recently bought that same refractometer for checking boiler fluid/ antifreeze !
Works great, calibrated perfectly out of the box.
You also have a great taste in a MH. How did you get the extra inch, mine is only 42' 11".

Found out going to Nfld that I'm just over 61' with the toad and cost me a around $1000 round trip for the ferry. 1 foot and a few inches shorter would have saved me a quite a few dollars.

Chris
cvbdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 08:32 PM   #22

We unhook and the wife drives the toad on all ferries. Saves me about $100CAD each trip.

I have a Hydra-lift on the back, so even with a compact toad (Chevy Sonic), I'm at 66' overall.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:46 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvbdsl View Post
You also have a great taste in a MH. How did you get the extra inch, mine is only 42' 11".
I'm on the wet coast and see lots of water from the sky, so it must have grown an inch !
Old 05-27-2020, 03:16 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
Look at the bottom corners of the slides for separation/rot.
The thread on the slide awnings probably need re-sewing.
Generator good fo 15-20K hours.
Need to check engine serial # for the wrist pin issue which can put a hole in the engine even though it has 50+K miles... #s in the Cummins section.
Welp...here's the end of the story...

Thanks to Ivylog, I was able to confirm that indeed THIS rig has the wrist pin issue. It wasn't an easy job and I will try and do a quick "how to" so that other folks who are looking for new (used) rigs can do this quickly.

To find out if a rig you are interested has any recalls go here:
https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls

Here you can look up a rig by VIN, or just the name and model. You can also look up tire recalls, it's a good place to bookmark.

Once you find out there IS a recall, you sometimes have to narrow it down using the serial number of the engine.

In my case, the folks at Motorhome of Texas were really busy (Memorial Day weekend) so they didn't have time to look for the serial number of the engine. I had to call Monaco (they make the Holiday Rambler) and wait on hold for almost an hour, once I got a real person I told him I needed the engine serial number and all I had to do was give him the VIN.

It was interesting he had never heard of the wrist pin campaign. (That's what they call these...strange: NHTSA Campaign Number: 07V-311)

So I went to the recall site and plugged in my VIN but for some reason it didn't like it, said there was some kind of error. To make sure it wasn't the web site I plugged in the VIN to my RV and it came back with zero recalls so I knew the site was okay.

The other way to do a look up is to choose the Vehicle tab across the top (almost to the top), which I did and typed in 2006 Holiday Rambler Scepter and it came back with 4 recalls and one called "Interesting'

I clicked on the 4 recalls and the one I was interested in was there, "Connecting Rod Failure".

It showed me there were 14 affected rigs:
BEAVER/CONTESSA/2007
HOLIDAY RAMBLER/ENDEAVOR/2006-2007
HOLIDAY RAMBLER/IMPERIAL/2006-2007
HOLIDAY RAMBLER/SCEPTER/2006-2007
MONACO COACH/CAMELOT/2006-2007
MONACO COACH/DIPLOMAT/2006-2007
MONACO COACH/DYNASTY/2006-2007
MONACO COACH/WINDSOR/2006

It then lead me to a number of PDF's and when I clicked on the right one this is what is said:
Well I was going to post that but instead, just click here for the PDF.

And here's where the serial number of the engine comes in handy:
".....with engine serial numbers ranging from 46543077 to 46603939"

And sure enough the serial number of the rig I was interested is right in the middle of it.

So it was a lot of work, but certainly worth doing when looking at these high priced rigs.

Here's some screenshots that might help.

Thanks. (Sorry can't seem to manage the pictures very well so that they make sense. If you click on them you'll see the 4 recalls and the one I was interested in was the Connecting Rod Failure.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	recall-lookup1.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	287197   Click image for larger version

Name:	recall-lookup2.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	287198  

Click image for larger version

Name:	recall-lookup3.JPG