Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2020, 12:55 PM   #1

2006 Holiday Rambler Scepter 42 DSQ

Okay folks...this MIGHT BE THE ONE!!!

We are very serious about this one. It checks almost all our boxes;
Side radiator - check
Bath and a half - check
Room to put in recliners - check
Remove TV and put a "pop-up" TV behind the couch - Hopefully!

It doesn't have a king bed, but we're hoping we can fit one into the space, waiting on measurements on that.

So, anyone that has this rig, or a similar one (Monaco Camelot 42DSQ looks exactly the same) please let me know what things I should be looking at and asking.

This has a Cummins ISL 400 HP engine, other than getting a fluid analysis, what things should I be asking. (BTW: It's in Texas and I'm in Spokane, so I will be hiring an inspector)

It has an Allison MH3000 6 Spd transmission, what should I be asking?

It has the Roadmaster RR10S chassis, any issues I need to ask about? I know airbags can be an issue due to the age.

I have asked about records and he, Ben Curtis at MH of Texas, said they have them and they are locked up. BTW: Anyone work with Ben? He's been very helpful so far.

Anything I should know about Motorhomes of Texas? Good/bad? I feel they have a very good reputation, at least that's what I've gathered from folks here.

Here's a VERY big concern for me...the Onan 10 KW Diesel generator has over 3300 HOURS on it! How much should I be concerned? Worst case, if I had to have it rebuilt or a new one installed, what are we talking? $1K, $2K? Or, since it's a diesel generator, will it last a long time? (Sorry, very ignorant in regards to diesel anything!)

Wheelbase is 22 ft 6 in, I 'think' I recall hearing that will allow for turning in tight quarters...true?

Here's another unknown to me, HydroHot 50,000. No idea how that compares to the AquaHot AND, does this system heat the water, floor and air? Again...just don't know.

Tires are good, DOT date 2018 they're Toyo...those are good right?

Here's a link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/embed/lYkqd6iQb3k

And here's a link to the rig: https://www.motorhomesoftexas.com/Pr...98010?ref=list

As usual, thanks in advance for all your help. I am very excited about this rig as we have been looking for a LONG LONG time and feel it's EXACTLY (as close as possible) like what we want!

Cheers!

PS: One sort of non related question: We have no property here in Spokane, but we rent our RV spot from a person. BUT we do own property, an RV site in Outdoor Resorts in Melbourne Beach...when we go to purchase and get tags...where do we say we live? Since we're only renting here in Spokane, do we have to use our Florida address? Thanks.
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2020, 05:41 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Look at the bottom corners of the slides for separation/rot.
The thread on the slide awnings probably need re-sewing.
Generator good fo 15-20K hours.
Need to check engine serial # for the wrist pin issue which can put a hole in the engine even though it has 50+K miles... #s in the Cummins section.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 05:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMoot View Post
Okay folks...this MIGHT BE THE ONE!!!

We are very serious about this one. It checks almost all our boxes;
Side radiator - check
Bath and a half - check
Room to put in recliners - check
Remove TV and put a "pop-up" TV behind the couch - Hopefully!

It doesn't have a king bed, but we're hoping we can fit one into the space, waiting on measurements on that.

So, anyone that has this rig, or a similar one (Monaco Camelot 42DSQ looks exactly the same) please let me know what things I should be looking at and asking.

This has a Cummins ISL 400 HP engine, other than getting a fluid analysis, what things should I be asking. (BTW: It's in Texas and I'm in Spokane, so I will be hiring an inspector)

It has an Allison MH3000 6 Spd transmission, what should I be asking?

It has the Roadmaster RR10S chassis, any issues I need to ask about? I know airbags can be an issue due to the age.

I have asked about records and he, Ben Curtis at MH of Texas, said they have them and they are locked up. BTW: Anyone work with Ben? He's been very helpful so far.

Anything I should know about Motorhomes of Texas? Good/bad? I feel they have a very good reputation, at least that's what I've gathered from folks here.

Here's a VERY big concern for me...the Onan 10 KW Diesel generator has over 3300 HOURS on it! How much should I be concerned? Worst case, if I had to have it rebuilt or a new one installed, what are we talking? $1K, $2K? Or, since it's a diesel generator, will it last a long time? (Sorry, very ignorant in regards to diesel anything!)

Wheelbase is 22 ft 6 in, I 'think' I recall hearing that will allow for turning in tight quarters...true?

Here's another unknown to me, HydroHot 50,000. No idea how that compares to the AquaHot AND, does this system heat the water, floor and air? Again...just don't know.

Tires are good, DOT date 2018 they're Toyo...those are good right?

Here's a link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/embed/lYkqd6iQb3k

And here's a link to the rig: https://www.motorhomesoftexas.com/Pr...98010?ref=list

As usual, thanks in advance for all your help. I am very excited about this rig as we have been looking for a LONG LONG time and feel it's EXACTLY (as close as possible) like what we want!

Cheers!

PS: One sort of non related question: We have no property here in Spokane, but we rent our RV spot from a person. BUT we do own property, an RV site in Outdoor Resorts in Melbourne Beach...when we go to purchase and get tags...where do we say we live? Since we're only renting here in Spokane, do we have to use our Florida address? Thanks.

No problem with the generator I know someone with over 8000 hrs on 2 belts. Tag it in Florida cheaper tags and taxes. Good luck
mccrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 08:27 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Looks good from pictures. You're main goal will be to confirm its just as good in person. Testing every system as best you can is ideal. Do you know the back story of the coach or ownership history? Has it been used recently or has it sat for quite awhile?

I'm sure you have probably seen the brochure for the coach, but just incase here it is: https://www.holidayrambler.com/resou...65_brc_pdf.pdf

I always liked the Scepter myself. As others have said, 3000 hours is nothing for a well cared for Onan generator.

Hydro-Hot is owned by Aqua-Hot. I believe they are very similar, and were actually the precursor to the current Aqua-hots? I'm sure someone will know more details. The Hydro-Hot is the hot water heater as well as the coach furnace. I don't believe that year of Scepter had heated floors from the Hydro-Hot.

Maintenance records are important, and preferably not just for the chassis but also major system services like the generator and Hydro-Hot.

Personally, I think 42' is a great length, but I could be bias . The turning radius is ok, but it really depends what your reference is and what you have had previously.

Sounds like this one hits a lot of the checkmarks. Do your best to keep a level head and not let the excitement cloud any judgement needed. That being said, best of luck! Hope it works out. Keep us all posted!
Our 2001 Signature Repairs & Upgrades Thread
JJTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 08:33 PM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Everything mentioned above.

You say it has 1 1/2 baths. Probably why it doesn't have the king size bed.

My single bathroom model has the king size bed.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:46 PM   #6

Thanks folks, we’ll be calling tomorrow and attempting to setup the deal.

Today we went to our local RV dealership and made an offer on the Monaco version of this rig which was in rougher shape but a year newer and the owner was basically rude and condescending and said, “Sure...you go down there and buy that smoked in or flooded out rusting peace of crap, cause that’s what you’re going to get.”

Wow....I know dealerships owners have to have thick skin as people are trying to low ball them all day long, but wow, just wow.

Anyway, moving forward with the one in Texas. God Bless Texas!!
Old 05-23-2020, 08:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
Look at the bottom corners of the slides for separation/rot.
The thread on the slide awnings probably need re-sewing.
Generator good fo 15-20K hours.
Need to check engine serial # for the wrist pin issue which can put a hole in the engine even though it has 50+K miles... #s in the Cummins section.
Ivylog, very interested in the wrist pin issue, where do I find the serial number? And where do I find info on how to check?

Thank you.
Old 05-23-2020, 11:36 AM   #8

Quick question in regards to inspections, do you do ALL the fluids?

Engine Oil
Engine Coolant
Transmission Fluid
Generator Oil
Generator Coolant (Does this rig have this?)
Aqua-Hot or Hydro-Hot Systems

I got this list off an inspectors site and the last one caught my attention...what would getting the Aqua-Hot systems fluid check actually find? I guess what I'm really asking, is this one necessary?

Thanks.
Old 05-23-2020, 01:10 PM   #9

YIKES! Check out the video of this rig and watch around:47 into it, the bedroom slide on the drivers side sticks up top....what do you suppose would cause that? (Full confession...I know ZERO about slides!)

https://youtu.be/lYkqd6iQb3k
Old 05-23-2020, 02:30 PM   #10

Yeah, the bed slide is usually the most problematic on these coaches.

That one may have a bit too much tension on the topper, or need roller adjustments (or both).
Old 05-23-2020, 02:59 PM   #11

Hi TriMoot; Hi from the other side of the mountains here in Washington. Agree with Ben that the slide that tips up on deployment does not look correct to me. Slide roller adjustment?? Not sure but you need that checked out. As you already stated that the Scepter is the cousin to the Camelot. On that year as well as an 05, check the top and bottom corners of the windshield for fit in the gasket as well as cracks in the glass. Also check for what could be water leaks in the windshield. Had some problems as these were some of the first years of the Pan-a-View windshield and there were support problems in the front cap that let the windshield either bind or float too much in the gasket. This is just me and it maybe not important to you but from the pictures I noticed some clear coat pealing on the top of the front cap. Not mechanical but just thought I would point it out.

On the engine as well as the transmission if there are not a lot of service records I would have samples of the engine oil and coolant checked. If the SCA level has not been kept up in the coolant you could have pitting of the cylinder liners in the ISL engine. This is a lot more complicated coach from what you own now so I would take the time and money and get an inspection as well as fluid testing if your time frame allows to do so. Some of these items could very well be very costly to fix so the inspection is good insurance money spent up front. The wrist pin info for the ISL should be in this forum. Just ask that info in the search box at the top right of this page and that info should give you some reading to do.

Looks like a very nice coach! Keep asking questions here as lots of owners should be able to provide the necessary info you are looking for. IMHO you just need to make sure you get no $$$ surprises after you sigh on the dotted line. Best of luck on your purchase.

P.S. I went from a truck camper to a class A diesel pusher. Talk about self education!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 04:57 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Wrist Pin #s from the Cummins section of IRV2: BETWEEN OCTOBER 17, 2005, AND APRIL 18, 2006, WITH ENGINE SERIAL NUMBER RANGE FROM 46543077 TO 46603939.
Until I talked to a 06 ISL owner, I felt that the issue would show up in the first 10-15K miles. He had a big hole in the side of his ISL at 47K miles and about 7 years ago. Cummins was no help until his lawyer got a court order for the # of ISL engines that had failed. Instead of supplying that info they offer to pay for half the cost of a new engine which he took after 4 years of no use of the MH. He did get his lawyer’s costs out of Cummins too.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 09:12 AM   #13

Nice rig! If well taken care of, should give you lots of miles and years of use.
One of the best things about this year is that since the engine is a pre 2007 build, there won’t be any emission equipment installed on it.
I love the fact that my Cummins ISL 400 was manufactured in November 2006 so I don’t have a diesel particulate filter (DPF) and does not use diesel exhaust fluid (DEF).
To me this is a huge plus! Good luck.... hope the deal works out for you.
Sheriffbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 10:10 AM   #14

Still interested in this rig as we are SURE that we love the floor plan, however, the more I look at the rig the more I "SEE" stuff. Makes sense right?

So, in regards to the video about the slide, here's a picture of the carpet underneath that slide. I'm assuming the carpet isn't causing the slide to act this way, but rather it's a result of the slide not going out correctly.

Let me know what you think. (You can click on the picture to enlarge it)

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bedroom-carpet-slide-area.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	286754  

Tags
holiday rambler