Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2010, 09:58 PM   #1

2006 Knight temp. question

I just took delivery of a new to us 2006 Monaco Knight. The unit only has 21,000 miles on it. My question after driving it home from the dealership, I noticed the engine temp was slightly above half way on the gauge and the trans temp. remained on cold. According to the Alladin system, the engine was running at between 181 and 185 degrees and the trans temp was right around 160 degrees. Are these normal temperatures? Also at 160 degrees, shouldn't the trans temp gauge be up some or is it normal to remain on the bottom? Any input would be appreciated.
Hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2010, 10:12 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Hedgehog......Those numbers are right on the money. The Allison temps won't come up until you drive in hotter weather, pull a grade or get into some stop and go traffic. We just came back from a trip after installing the VMSpc computer program that allowed me to monitor my temps a little closer. My Allison ran just about 5-8 degrees under the engine temp in 90 degree weather.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:08 AM   #3
JDT

Sounds like your guages are not working properly. I'm not sure what guage changes were made from my 05 to your 06 but they have the same mechanicals. My guages are pretty close except the engine temp guage does get into the red section on occasion.

If you have an Alladin not sure I would worry about it. I have a new VMSpc and this past Friday coming back from Branson in over 100 degree heat mine would go as high as 211. I think the transmission remained around 180 but I was more focused on the engine temp. I had a Horton 2 speed fan installed when I first got the coach. It lets the fan run at a lower speed until it hits 211 degrees then kicks into high speed. It very quickly brings it down to 188 then the cycle starts over again. The purpose of the Horton is to let your engine be more efficient and conserve horsepower needed to run the fan. In cooler weather the high speed side of the fan rarely kicks in. Also, it lets the engine run at higher temps. I am certainly no expert and have nothing to back it up but I have been told that these engines run most efficiently around 200 degrees. In normal weather mine runs between 190 and 200 most of the time on the low speed fan. I think the temps you are getting are normal with the stock fan.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 02:03 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
My question after driving it home from the dealership, I noticed the engine temp was slightly above half way on the gauge and the trans temp. remained on cold.
That sounds very similar to my gauges: 2007 Endeavor, with 2006 (no DPF) Cummins ISL 400.

Both gauges have a C and H limit tick mark, then inside of that is a range marker (presumably to show the normal range.) The transmission temp gauge never moves higher than a hair above the C mark, while the water temp gauge spends almost all of its time just a needle width inside of the high end of the "normal" range mark. When pulling a steep grade, the needle will move to just touch the high end of the marked range, and quickly goes back down (ever so slightly) to its usual position.

When it was new, I had the dealer check it out, and they said it was "normal operation."
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 02:24 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
The Allison temp sending devise should be on the left bottom and to the front of the coach and the wire is probably off.
Do a search on cleaning the CAC and Radiator, this needs to be done on especially the rear engine coaches at least once a year.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 02:49 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by walt2137 View Post
The Allison temp sending devise should be on the left bottom and to the front of the coach and the wire is probably off.
Good theory, but wouldn't the fact that the Aladdin system is reading the correct transmission temperature seem to indicate the sensor is working? Does the Aladdin system use its own sensor? Also, this wouldn't explain the water temperature gauge anomalies.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 04:20 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
No it would not as the Aladdin reads from the trans computer and the gauge reads from the sensor. I would also suspect the trans temps on the Aladdin and would expect them to be close to if not above the engine temps if the trans is cooled in the right side of the Radiator if it has not been changed to a separate trans cooler that Monaco had to install on some of the rear radiator coaches.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 06:29 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
My 07 Knight runs just like that, about 160 for trans and 181 for the engine. I think your gages and alladin are right on the money.
bborc is offline   Reply With Quote