Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2023, 05:25 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Angry 2006 Monaco Monarch Dash or Instrument Panel Removal - rodents

Hi All and thanks for the support from all. I've learned so much. I had a rat get in my rig - 1st time ever. Not sure how long he spent in there but no more than a week. I did find the hole he got in from, engine area, and did manage to trap and dispose of him. No sign of any more of them. I started the RV and the jacks automatically retracted and now I have no power to the Jacks Panel. There were signs of the rat being in the dash area down by the pedals. Everything else is operational. My thought is that it started going at the electrical lines looking for a water source. I can feel the wires leaving behind the Jack Panel, but they go back in further than I can reach. The bottom left of the footwell has a carpeted plywood board that all wiring goes behind. There is signs of debris that I can see behind this board but that's thru the footwell and pedals - it's tight in there.
OK, finally getting to my question. Can I safely remove the screws and pull the entire dash panel back safely to obtain additional access or is there maybe 6" of slack for everything going thru that instrument panel to allow access? Yes, I'll unhook the batteries 1st. I didn't want something to disconnect that I can't get back together.
Thank you in advance.
jdpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2023, 03:49 AM   #2

jdpeters-

I had the dash out two or three times on my 2008 HR Admiral, which is the "twin" to the Monarch. Here's what I found:

1) The jack panel could be removed and replaced without taking the dash apart. There was at least a foot of slack wire behind the jack panel.

2) There is "extra wire" or slack inside the dash, in places.

3) Unhappily, due to:
a) Monaco's wiring practices the slack is not where you need it or is wire-tied together
b) the air conditioning outlets attached to the dash panel
c) the radio
or a host of other details I was not able to remove the dash panel with the attached wires and components. Everything had to be disconnected.

4) The panel gets brittle with age, and must be handled with care to avoid cracking, especially at the screw holes and corners.

Regarding access under the driver's seat, I recommend you remove the seat from the post, then remove the post from the floor- the latter action only if you can unbolt from the floor without putting a wrench on the nuts. On my coach, Monaco welded the nuts in place, making it an easy unbolt from the top.

I have worked on the wiring without removing the driver's seat, but if you have to get under the seat it's a lot easier if it and the post are out of the way.

You'll find the plywood panel near the steering wheel shaft is just a cover for a steel plate. Getting behind that plate is very difficult.

I should have recommended this at the top, but before opening the dash I suggest finding the fuse that feeds the jacks and making sure it hasn't blown. It could save you a lot of time and effort.

I have wiring diagrams for your coach. If you send me a private message that includes your e-mail address, I'll send the diagrams to you. (Note: I seem to remember that I sent them to you previously.) Don't "publish" your e-mail address in public here, or the spammers will get it. Instructions on sending a private message are here.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 10:20 AM   #3

My grandson pretending to drive, managed to knock wires off my jack panel. It's old school so all Staycon wire connectors to male spades on panel/switches no fancy plugs lol.
Even though I would for sure follow up and focus on the rat situation, don't rule out possibly being coincidence either or you could spend a lot of time on just one possibility. Been there done that.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash, monaco, panel, removal