RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2020, 05:07 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
2006 Monaco Signature Rear Signal Lights

Need a little help,
Made a trip to Lake Havesu, all was well on the trip down. When moving to a new location, we hookup to the trailer and checking lights out, we had no running or turn signal on the coach, therefore no trailer lights. I found a fuse out on the hazard lights which I replaced, all of the other fuses are good in the front electrical panel. I now have front signal lights and running lights but no rear signal lights. Any help would be appreciated.
Discovery17
Discovery17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2020, 11:43 PM   #2

I would start looking for poor grounding but that usually makes wierd things happen like tail light or markers flashing with flasher Then again maybe not if you converted to LEDs they don't back feed like filaments.
Find a good ground or run a wire to battery neg.and test it with lights neg. with a continuity meter . Use the wire to give the lights a ground just to test.
Hook a test light to good proven ground and test lamp pos. power .
Look and feel tape on loom for butt splices that may have corroded.
My coach had some dirty loose spades to relays under the bed but not total loss of lamps, its more old school design.
153stars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 10:56 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the feedback. I have changed the taillights and headlights to LED'S. I will check out the wire loom for some bad connections. Do you know if there is other fuse for the rear signals, I know that the flasher solenoid in the front electrical bay is working, I hear it and felt it operating.
Thanks again for getting back with us.
Old 02-13-2020, 12:56 PM   #4

Sage advice thus far.

Food for thought.

Many coaches have had one of these tail light adapters installed somewhere down the line as my coach did for the turn signals to be compatible with their trailer or towed vehicle.

I had the same situation as you describe ..no rear turn signals... and found the the diode in the lighting converter module failed …in 6 years of ownership I have had to replaced it twice.

I found it taped up in the wiring harness in the rear of the coach

Click image for larger version

Name:	tail lights.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	275050

Happy Trails
Old 02-13-2020, 06:52 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Check the trailer tail light converter (like Rob said) as well as the fuses in the rear electrical panel (next to the engine).
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 06:44 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
We really appreciate your responses to the issue. I know this is getting to be a long thread and I really appreciate any thoughts on this. We are on the road, however after my additional investigation I found this. I unplugged the trailer and applied the brakes, it would appear to me that after replacing the hazard light fuse, the signal lights on both left and right would cancel out the brake lights, but stand along signal lights on the coach don't work but did not blow the hazard light fuse. However after plugging the trailer back in, we have brake and turn signals on the trailer, but again after turning the right turn signal on the fuse blew again. Don't know how we get turn signal on the trailer and not on the coach. By way I still have not found the rear electrical panel in the engine bay.

Thanks again
Old 02-14-2020, 08:32 PM   #7

When you open your rear engine access door, there should be a black enclosure in the upper right (curb-side) quadrant. It is maybe 20" square, give or take, and is above the hydraulic fluid reservoir. There should be two wing nuts across the bottom of the panel that is facing you. Turn those ¼ turn, then the cover will come off in your hands.

You should find the contents of the "rear run box", therein. There's a lot there!
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 08:34 PM   #8

At least I'm assuming that is where you will find it. That is where it is on our '06 Dynasty, which is a "poor cousin" to the Signature. The fact that your engine makes mine look like a Maytag motor may have caused them to have to locate the box in a different spot. Good luck to you.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 11:23 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks, I will continue the search and reply to all on my results when I come to the conclusion.

Thanks again,
Old 02-27-2020, 08:29 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Have now returned home, after additional investigation I found the rear electrical panel, I could not see reference to any fuses related to the problem and no light converter in the wiring harness. However this is what I did discover, after replacing the hazard fuse and disconnecting all the rear light fixtures (4 total) activating the tail, brake and signal lights. Reconnecting the light fixtures again, I reactivated all the lights. All is work fine now. The only remaining problem is when turn on the hazard lights the fuse blow immediately. Two question come up, anyone with any ideas on this.

1. Is there a reset relay or something on the rear lighting circuit?
2. Could the hazard switch in the steering column be bad or shorting out this circuit?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 03-13-2020, 06:37 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Final Resolve on Rear Brake, Signal, Tail and Hazard Lights

Just wanted to follow up on the conclusion of my rear coach lighting issues.

After my continued search of the rear light issues, the problem is resolved. When changing out the incandescent light with new front and rear LED lights, the tag on the rear fixture wiring states to connect the black wire to the black wire on the coach. Knowing the LED are sensitive to polarity and the correct supply of power and grounding, I unplug and revering the plug 180 degrees on the turn signal wire on all the four fixtures, problem solved. No need of changing the flasher in the front street side electrical panel, flasher was already a electronic flasher that is compatible with the LED lights. Not sure if this was the original flasher from the manufacture or not. Glad to have this fixed.

Thanks you all for the help.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:01 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Additional Comment

After reading my last post on the rear light issue, in clearing up the comment when switching the connectors on the signal lights resolved the grounding of the signal light power. I believe this is why the hazard fuse would always blow when activated.
Hope helps.

Tags
brake lights, lights, monaco, rear signal lights