Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-09-2022, 06:28 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 53
2006 Neptune 36BST what hitch extender length with v-nose trailer

I have researched capabilities, but have not found what hitch extender is recommended to avoid trailer to RV body contact on corners.

Please let me know what is known.

2006 Holiday Rambler Neptune 36BST
2005 Pace America 22' enclosed v nose 7K GVW.
I will not fully load the trailer when towing due to Neptunes 6500 towing cap.
ShawofNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2022, 08:27 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 342
I think the only way I'd extend a hitch for a trailer is by using the super truss hitch:

https://www.torklift.com/rv/supertruss

I'm no engineer, and by far not an expert. I'd say at the very minimum, ANY extension should come along with the receiver hitch designed to take that sort of load. Torklift makes a good product for sure.
__________________
Keith
2007 HR Scepter 40 PDQ
400 ISL, ~67K on the clock....for now
Scepter40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 08:30 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,856
Be aware of the significant additional load the extension times tongue weight of the trailer will put on the hitch and also on the rear axle/removing weight from the front axle.
__________________
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38FDDS. Ex: 1997 Safari Sahara. Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240
wolfe10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 08:37 AM   #4
Senior Member


 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 6,095
ShawofNH-

A Trailer Toad (link here) can eliminate a vertical trailer hitch load limit. It may also help by getting the trailer away from the coach. "Your mileage may vary."
__________________
Mark
2008 Holiday Rambler Admiral 30PDD (Ford F-53 chassis)
2009 Honda Fit Sport
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 06:52 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
vito.a's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 5,978
I doubt you will need an extender for a V Nose trailer. But the way to start is to measure the length of the trailer tongue. Hopefully its close to half the width of the trailer.
__________________
97 Monaco Windsor- Sold
07 Monaco Executive McKinley- Sold
04 Monaco Signature Chateau IV
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 04:11 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scepter40 View Post
I think the only way I'd extend a hitch for a trailer is by using the super truss hitch:

https://www.torklift.com/rv/supertruss

I'm no engineer, and by far not an expert. I'd say at the very minimum, ANY extension should come along with the receiver hitch designed to take that sort of load. Torklift makes a good product for sure.
I am going to go without the extension, figuring the vnose trailer makes RV to trailer contact when cornering less likely.
ShawofNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 04:17 AM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Be aware of the significant additional load the extension times tongue weight of the trailer will put on the hitch and also on the rear axle/removing weight from the front axle.
Understood, in my research the reduced capacity was a concern, I appreciate the confirmation.

I do intend to use my weight distribution bars with the hitch, which is promoted as moving load off of back onto the front of the towing vehicle. I know they have made the trailer more stable in general when pulling with my truck.
ShawofNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 04:18 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
ShawofNH-

A Trailer Toad (link here) can eliminate a vertical trailer hitch load limit. It may also help by getting the trailer away from the coach. "Your mileage may vary."

I did see one of these for sale used, and it intrigued me. If I do a cross country trip, it would be a consideration, but of course it does add more length too.
ShawofNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 04:32 AM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
I doubt you will need an extender for a V Nose trailer. But the way to start is to measure the length of the trailer tongue. Hopefully its close to half the width of the trailer.
I was wondering if there was a measurement I could take. The very front of the V is less than 2' from the coupler, but the full width of the trailer is @5' further back, as the v gets wider.
ShawofNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 07:52 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
jacwjames's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 11,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawofNH View Post
I was wondering if there was a measurement I could take. The very front of the V is less than 2' from the coupler, but the full width of the trailer is @5' further back, as the v gets wider.

Since you already have the trailer I'd suggest taking it to a large empty parking lot and doing some testing. Do some right left had turns at different angles to see if it would be an issue.

My guess probably not, the biggest risk might be try to back up and having the trailer jack knife.





One of my wives friends had a ~40 motorhome and pulled a small enclosed trailer, she was a vendor at dog shows. She could back the thing up through garage doors without a problem. From what I could see she never had a problem with pulling it or backing it up.
__________________
Jim J
2002 Monaco Windsor 38 PKD Cummins ISC 350 8.3L
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/5.7 Hemi
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 05:56 AM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
Since you already have the trailer I'd suggest taking it to a large empty parking lot and doing some testing. Do some right left had turns at different angles to see if it would be an issue.

My guess probably not, the biggest risk might be try to back up and having the trailer jack knife.





One of my wives friends had a ~40 motorhome and pulled a small enclosed trailer, she was a vendor at dog shows. She could back the thing up through garage doors without a problem. From what I could see she never had a problem with pulling it or backing it up.
The RV & trailer are a different locations right now. When I get them together it will be the day of the first trip, but I like the idea of when I see a parking lot along the way to perhaps test backing up and see what angles do. and do not work
ShawofNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
hitch, trailer



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2006 Holiday Rambler Neptune 36BST diesel chassis HVAC dysfunction ShawofNH MH-General Discussions & Problems 1 11-02-2021 09:29 AM
Trailer length vs overall length question Alikair Travel Trailer Discussion 15 06-06-2021 07:43 PM
Holiday Rambler Neptune 36BST Wiring Schematic ShawofNH Class A Motorhome Discussions 3 05-21-2021 10:01 AM
Towing a trailer - trailer nose bmrzmrs Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 3 11-27-2011 05:52 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.