Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2019, 01:34 PM   #1

2007 Beaver Contessa Bayshore

Hello
We are getting closer to finding our RV. Looking for advice on a Beaver. It has 40k miles, all service records, and new tires and batteries. Any issues on this RV vs Navigator? Thank you for your feedback. I like the Navigator 500hp Cummings but not sure I need it vs 400hp Cat. Navigator a little more bling but itís $40k higher for same miles.
Riponrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2019, 02:49 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
If the Beaver has the C9s engine, I would stay away from it.

The "S" is the variable geometry Turbo, Regen/DPF system - all the emissions stuff (the problem stuff).

The regular C9 is a good engine.

The "S" came out in 2007 so your 2007 Beaver could have a 2006 engine (good) or a 2007 "S" engine (bad).
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 08:23 AM   #3

The build sheet just says 400hp Cat C9
Old 05-20-2019, 08:29 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Good. The 400HP is the regular C9, and the 425HP is the C9S.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 12:09 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome back to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Noticed you are kinda new on IRV2 and wanted to say hello! Hope you find the perfect coach for your needs!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 12:26 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Both coaches will be nice. But, go drive them. The Holiday Rambler Navigator will have a tag axle that stabilizes the ride and stops the porpoising. The 500hp Cummins ISM engine is a great motor home engine (probably one of the best). Lots of power, but not as heavy as the big Cummins ISX. The Cat C9 is also a good engine, but the Cummins ISM may get better fuel mileage.

Also, look to see if they have Aqua Hot. Aqua Hot is a diesel-electric hot water furnace that provides unlimited hot water and zone heating. It is far superior to a propane furnace and many consider it a must have.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 05:59 PM   #7

One of the first coaches I looked at was a '05 Beaver Laguna and I was impressed with the wood work, mirrors, flooring. It was a great coach - we couldn't work out the price. From what I have read is that any beaver, until the crash in '08, was worthy of looking at.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 08:44 PM   #8

That is very nice of you to post (MS HAPPY CAMPERS). We are excited to be here.
Thank you
Old 05-20-2019, 09:04 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
I just recently sold my 06 Beaver with the Cat C9 400HP. I had no issues with that engine. The Beaver is an excellent coach. I have a friend who is closing on the sale of their 07 Contessa 400HP C9. It is a tag 42ft coach, so if you are looking at over 40' it will be a tag like the HR. Beautiful coach. I am very biased because I had one. In many ways the layout, cabinetry, fit and finish is far superior to the much newer Newmar I now have. Drive them both you will know which one you like best.

For 40K what are you getting in the Navigator you are not getting on the Contessa besides the Cummins? Have there been any upgrades done to either coach? TV's, flooring, furniture, residential refer, etc.?

Let us know what you decide.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:52 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Need to know how you’ll use a MH??? Fortunately Monaco bought up a bunch of extra 06 engines...my 08 Navigator has a 06 engine. 2007 was the next increase in emissions requirements.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 09:46 AM   #11

Going to the conclusion. I like the navigators paint scheme, bling, Cummins 500hp motor, and the very nice owner who took care of things in advance such as copper radiator, upgraded the aqua hot to the 600, and painted the fiberglass roof cap.
The navigator needs tires, and full-service.
The beaver has similar equipment, 400 HP motor, off brand hot water source, not as much bling, new tires,full serviced all three units, is local, and over $40,000 less. Oh, it also has 20,000 fewer miles. The Beaver carpet is dirty. Wifey wants to replace with hardwoods. Thoughts and prices would be appreciated.
Old 05-21-2019, 03:17 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
We need to know model year, sub model/number of slides, length, and mileage to help with pricing advice?
You can also go to NADA pricing guide and get a close estimate.
https://www.nadaguides.com/RVs

Another way is to do nationwide searches on RVT.com and RVTrader.com for the same make and model with plus or minus 1 year.
Be very careful, some dealers are still under the old "Used Car" sales model and jack the prices way up.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 04:12 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I like both but I think the Navigator has more to offer than a little bling. You should get the build sheets from each to compare. I think you will find the Navigator is very well appointed in comparison.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:20 PM   #14

Hello again, I do have both of the build sheets. They are similarly appointed. The beaver has Hydro hot versus the navigator has aqua hot, the awnings are a little different, from there most of it is pretty similarly appointed.
How should the NADA values be reviewed? According to the instructions, just put in the mileage and local ZIP Code. Are most of the motorhomes in this range being sold at the low, or between the low and high? Should I add the options In values?

Tags
beaver