Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2023, 11:27 AM   #1

2007 Dynasty generator weak starting

My on board generator doesn't want to start without hitting the boost button. This is a new problem and seems isolated to the generator only as all other systems are fine.

Tested the battery cable at the generator and it dips down to 9v when trying to start. Does anyone know where the other end of it goes. I don't see it at the batteries and believe it must tie into the buss in the engine bay?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230319_102544.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	331.8 KB
ID:	388491  
bearscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2023, 12:32 PM   #2

9 volts while cranking used to be normal. I don't know about modern automotive systems.

First determine if the generator starter is using the chassis battery or the house battery to start. Measure battery terminal voltage while cranking. voltage should show a distinct drop which rises up again when cranking stops.

Possible causes:
Battery is weak. It is having difficulty delivering enough current fast enough.
Positive cable connections are loose or corroded.
Negative cable connections are loose or corroded.
Starter solenoid contacts are corroded or pitted.

Weak battery is likely because the boost button joins a second battery to the circuit and allows starter to crank. Other appliances may not draw as much current or may be drawing from the other battery.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 04:04 PM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I would expect it's one of those power cables coming from your box.
Old 03-19-2023, 06:16 PM   #4

It’s in the front run box. Iirc
Old 03-20-2023, 03:43 PM   #5

You have isolator studs at back of genny so 4 cables there. It probably has a frame ground within a few feet. My 95 pos cable comes up to front elect bay positive isolator stud through pod. That's where branches back to genny.
I had similar symptom on my Generac and starter was weak.it would only crank over at fully charged or charging batts. Just that extra half to volt made the difference. Theres also a starter solenoid in genny box. Start with the positives and ground at genny. I did take the time to clean every single battery cable connection . Probably save me other problems /pay off down the road.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2007, generator