RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2020, 05:11 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
2007 Executive chasing air leaks

On my new to me Executive with Valid air leveling only. It will leak down on drivers front. What I have located so far. Front air spring cracked (replaced) not the only issue apparently. Tee connector at auxiliary pump leak (replaced), two rear drain cocks leaking (replaced and air gauge added on each, front drain cock not leaking but added gauge. Still the driver front will leak down. I have soaped the other front spring, the fittings the lines, the ping tank, the six pack and ever fitting I can find. I did find the Hadley ride height valve is leaking. New one on order. I figure this should cause both front to leak down? Any helpful hints would be appreciated.
Harleytoter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2020, 05:52 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleytoter View Post
On my new to me Executive with Valid air leveling only. It will leak down on drivers front. What I have located so far. Front air spring cracked (replaced) not the only issue apparently. Tee connector at auxiliary pump leak (replaced), two rear drain cocks leaking (replaced and air gauge added on each, front drain cock not leaking but added gauge. Still the driver front will leak down. I have soaped the other front spring, the fittings the lines, the ping tank, the six pack and ever fitting I can find. I did find the Hadley ride height valve is leaking. New one on order. I figure this should cause both front to leak down? Any helpful hints would be appreciated.
Greetings Harleytoter,

Welcome to irv2.com and congratulations on your purchase of a 2007 Monaco Executive. We have owned our 2007 Monaco Executive for nine years and it is a great coach but not without its gremlins just like other motorhomes.

You’ll find that trying to locate air leaks can be frustrating; however, the air loss can be found. It just takes time and patience.

You may want to take another closer look at the other front three air springs by checking the surface of each as well as the brass fittings. This can be a challenge because air loss is hard to see on the front air springs unless you have an inspection camera. Spray a bubble solution or use Oatey’s all-purpose solution and then look behind there, preferably with an inspection camera, to find out if there is an air loss. You did not specify which front air spring was replaced i.e. in front or rear of steer tire.

Next you may want to go over some of the fittings you looked at previously. Sometimes, you can spray the fittings with a solution and there is no detection of air loss but it is there. I use an electronic sniffer with headphones in addition to a bubble solution to detect leaks. It has enhanced my efforts in finding them.

I presume you are using SAFE methods when you are under your coach. Use adequate bracing to ensure the frame does not turn you into a pancake.

Let us know the results.
ZackMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 08:10 PM   #3

Your valve for the front bag that is leaking may have an internal leak, I would replace it if you haven't already done so, congrats on your Exec purchase, great coach, we love ours.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 08:49 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
Your valve for the front bag that is leaking may have an internal leak, I would replace it if you haven't already done so, congrats on your Exec purchase, great coach, we love ours.
My thought as well. Leak not visible, because it's leaking back to the tanks.

I'm no expert on this as none of my air bags have ever leaked down !

Does this only happen when you tank pressure gets low?
Old 09-20-2020, 09:18 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
The system is carrying plenty of overall pressure but that side will still leak down. Will see what happens once I change out ride height valve.
Front air goes from big tank to six pack to driver side ping tank to 2 drivers side air bags?
Old 09-20-2020, 11:39 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Keep in mind that the PPVs (pressure protection valves) on the front and rear air tanks have been responsible for leak-downs in older Monacos.

Search this forum for “ppv” or “pressure protection valve” to find several examples.

Be certain of safe methods or have the work done professionally.
pphake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 05:41 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I have coach on ramps and have made supports for between frame rails and suspension. I can maneuver under the coach safely with all air depleted. Changed air dryer cartridge also this weekend. While I had auxiliary compressor removed I cleaned it and reinstalled. Monaco took great care on placing both in the most difficult places to access.
Old 09-21-2020, 07:31 AM   #8

I went thru a similar issue with the PS front airbags on my coach; they would go soft after less than a day from ride height. Replaced a few fittings, replaced o-rings on two (or 3) of the HWH valves, the "pop" valve on front tank. Sprayed a lot of dawn solution. Finally I got under with air all the way up, and soaked thoroughly the 1" web covered lines from ping tanks to the airbags. One spot, a bend, started to show bubbles. I think the covering on those lines "wicks" the solution so it takes spraying a lot before the bubbles showed up. Replacement lines to both PS bags and they stay up now.
Old 09-21-2020, 08:18 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I will douse those big lines to the front bags again. They absorb the liquid very fast. That side will leak down within about 30 minutes. It could definitely be the leaking ride height valve causing the issue.
Old 09-21-2020, 11:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleytoter View Post
I will douse those big lines to the front bags again. They absorb the liquid very fast. That side will leak down within about 30 minutes. It could definitely be the leaking ride height valve causing the issue.
You had said the DS front bags were leaking down. If it's the front RH valve, front air bags on both sides would leak down. If the DS rear RH valve had a leak, it would be the rear DS bags that would be leaking down.

I don't know if Valid air leveling is set up like HWH, but there could be leaks in whichever solenoids are "in the loop" when the DS bags are leaking down.. May be someone will comment on how that system may be involved.
Old 09-21-2020, 11:44 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I say the heck with the soapy stuff and use one of these. It will find leaks even if you can't see it.

https://www.amazon.com/ALLOSUN-Ultra...%2C360&sr=8-10

Tim
Timaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 12:38 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
The entire leveling system will eventually leak down. The front DS is first most likely due to which has most height. Overnight the leveling side has dropped to 40 psi. The tanks still have higher psi. I installed gauges at all 3 drains.
Old 09-21-2020, 12:44 PM   #13

I too had many leaks on my 2005 Executive. I had air bags going down as well as the entire system. After many efforts I have gotten almost all of them fixed. The 6 valve manifold valves is always a challenge Spraying them while mounted as ineffective. I build a bench test setup with multiple gauges to monitor leaks. I relied less on spraying and would watch the gauges to monitor leaks. The amount of air I am using is very small so leaks are quicker to see. This found many odd leaks that were very slow and would almost never show up by spraying, heck it was hard to see on the gauge sometimes.

I didn't want to just replace the 18 solenoids so this was my way of troubleshooting and fault isolation.

I still have a slow leak in the system. The coach stays level for days but the tanks will leak down to 30 psi overnight. Found a couple more leaks last weekend so hopefully I am getting closer.
Old 09-21-2020, 12:47 PM   #14

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
What do you mean by the leveling side has dropped to 40psi?

You have 3 main air tanks, wet tank, front dry tank, rear dry tank. Your leveling system won't get it's air straight from the wet tank.

Tags
2007, air, leak, leaks