Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2010, 10:34 PM   #1

2007 HR Neptune 36PDQ

Looking for opinions, I'm new to Diesels and about to purchase a 2007 HR Neptune. Will the Cummins ISB 5.9, 325hp provide sufficient power for climbing the hills in Northern Arizona? My toad is a 2008 Wrangler. Thanks for the help.
Jeff
KTMONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2010, 12:22 AM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Jeff.....Just my opinion.....Our friends have that same coach, I believe it's actually called a 37'. It's a 4 airbag coach and VERY rough riding. Monaco's R4R chassis is a rough riding chassis, especially in a short coach. Our friends tow a PT Cruiser and they say it will pull the large grades at about 45 mph. Most engines have a Banks system available to boost power. The 2007 Neptunes are not eligible for a Banks system because they have the Allison 2500 trans which will not handle the torque of the upgrade.

I added the Koni FSD's to their coach and that only slightly improved the ride. There is a ride enhancement kit for that coach which includes new airbags, shocks and some other equipment, but is very expensive.

I would pass on this coach unless you want to spend a bunch of money to make it handle better and perform. If you like the Monaco products, look for a Knight that is newer than 05 with the RR8R chassis (8 airbags).

This is probably not what you wanted to hear, but you were smart to ask first. I think you'll find many others that will tell you the same thing
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 04:22 AM   #3

This has an RR4R and as Dip Don stated...this has its issues..the trailing arms are known to fail and that's dangerous..Monaco got out of the recall with the Navistar purchase so it falls to you to fix it (2 to 3 K) --we all know sources to do this but if this fix was not done and you don't feel like inheriting someone else's problem, walk away. You will find something else..sorry but do a search on the forum for trailing arms and you will see exactly what is out there on this dangerous issue.
bullydogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:15 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Glad I read this post, I have been looking at a 2008 Neptune 35sdb. was thinking of trading my 2008 Vacationer 36sbd in on one, think I'll rethink now!!!
Old 06-28-2010, 11:33 AM   #5

Your response and insight of the chassis and engine/trans combination is greatly appreciated, my goal is to upgrade, guess I will be looking at more coaches.
Thanks,
Jeff
KTMONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:00 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Jeff:

I would agree with what has been said so far in the tread.

We have a 2007 34sbd HR NEPTUNE. We bought it new. At this time I can not afford to sell it and to get something else.

The problems with the RR4R chassis are well documented in other treads in the "Roadmaster Chassis" section of iRV2. Spend some time in the "Trailing Arms thread.

We have gone ahead and had the new trailing arms from SOURCE ENGINEERING installed and at the same time I had KONI Shocks installed. Just these two installations has greatly improved the ride. We are considering the RIDE ENHANCEMENT KIT from SOURCE at a later date.
Needless to say these installations have cost some money (out of my pocket) but it was needed for just the safety reason alone.

As for the ISB 5.9 engine and its pulling power, I have no complaints.
We tow a Saturn Vue and have gone up some very good grades both in California, and Oregon without any problems. It's not like going high speed up these hills but it will make it up very nicely.

Some reasons we have not changed out to another coach are:
Can not afford one at his time-would be up-side down in financing.
Spent too much for the improvements.
Really like the layout of the coach.

Good luck in your decision.
Bill
bkphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 04:22 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Jeff,
I have the same unit you are looking at, that I bought new in 08. As mentioned the trailing arms on all RR4R chassis, not just the Neptune, are a safety item that needs to be addressed. Whether you are buying from a dealer or private party factor this cost (approx $2,600) into your offer if the arms have not been replaced by either the Source Arms (my choice) or the "new" Monaco arms.

As for the 325hp, I would like more. The gross combined for this coach is 33k. I tow a Ford Sport Trac that weighs in around 5,000 lbs so my gross combined weight runs around 32k. I'm new to diesel also so I'm still adjusting to the art of hill climbing with one. With a gasser, put the accelerator to the floor and watch the speedometer go up. With a diesel, put the accelerator to the floor and not only does the speed drop but also the fuel gauge. I need to do better at keeping the rpm's up and developing momentum. Must admit, I miss my W24 8.1L w/ ultrapower upgrade when I am going uphill.

Floor plan for this coach is very nice.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:59 PM   #8

I have a 2007 Neptune which we bought new. It now has 32,000 miles. I have no complaint about the power. The various comments about the 4 bag suspension are valid in comparison to a more expensive unit on an 8 bag chassis. On the other hand, we traded a 36 foot Southwind for this and the ride is vastly improved over the Workhorse. It is also infinitely quieter and more pleasant to drive. Considering the price difference we are very satisfied with the ride and power of the Neptune.

In our case the major negative has been Cummins reliability. It has twice quit running completely while driving: once on a local street, and once while driving on the highway. One electronic control and one fuel pump failure covered by Cummins warranty, but requiring a few days delay and expensive tow bills (covered by Coach Net). The engine also developed a habit of running for only a minute or two after being started during the day. It would then shut itself down and require several restart attempts before settling down to run fine for the rest of the day. Not convenient when stopped to refuel, or .... Cummins was unable to troubleshoot this problem, although I paid over $300 to Cummins Atlantic for a few hours shop time. It was eventually corrected after the engine quit completely due to a lift pump failure. My personal experience with Cummins reliability has been significantly less than satisfactory.
barrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:36 PM   #9

2006 HR Neptune... Where's the water heater access?

Just drove my 2006 Neptune home after installing the trailing arms from source engineering... They made an improvement, but I haven't driven the coach long enough to quantify just how great that improvement is.

Can anyone please tell me where the water heater access point, and the bypass lever is??? (almost too embarrassed to ask)... I'm winterizing the coach...

Thanks
evenjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 04:44 AM   #10

Each floorplan is different..but in my endeavor, it is in a wooden cabinet on pass side closet--rear....Open the cabinet door and there it is with handle right there....
bullydogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:37 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
evenjack,

Welcome to iRV2!

If you have the rear closet, it may be similar to mine. Open the right hand door and look to the left. There is an access panel below the fuse panel. Hope this helps.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:33 AM   #12

Found It!!!

Thanks everyone...

The Hot water bypass switch was behind a panel in the left side of the rear closet!!! Much and many thanks.

By the way... because I had read reports on the dangers of the original trailing arm, I had the dealer, as a condition of sale, install the Source Engineering trailing arms... I have driven the rig approximately 100 miles since the installation, and about 200 miles prior (with the original t/arms). The new Source Eng. seems to improve the handling considerably.

Thanks, again

Ref: 2006 HR Neptune 36PDQ
evenjack is offline   Reply With Quote