Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2020, 09:46 PM   #1

2007 Monaco Aladdin questions

I just took possession of my new coach a 2007 Monaco diplomat 40SKQ. Everything works well on the Aladdin display. I can see the three camera views and when I press the Aladdin button I get a fourth image I can use the cursor to move around on the screen and select tasks. Unfortunately when I see the engine RPM or mpg or oil pressure (all engine data and all transmission data) are all shown as XXXX RPM etc.

I’ve tried searching for a troubleshooting manual for a 2007 Monaco Aladdin system but can’t find anything. Also a wiring schematic would be helpful I believe in order to understand the system and its inner connections

Hopefully this is just something where I have to reset something or wiggle a connector.

Does anybody have any ideas?
mrslabaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2020, 05:38 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds like the signal from the engine ECM to the Aladdin is bad. Maybe a loose connector. If your Aladdin control box (VCM) is accessible check the data connector there.
There is a system reset button for the Aladdin (mine is in the drivers left side overhead cabinet) but I doubt that is the problem if all the other monitored systems display properly (tank levels, coach elect status, etc.).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aladdin Video Coach Monitor.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	219.7 KB
ID:	299414  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Aladdin Troubleshooting Guide 2003-2006.pdf (814.3 KB, 137 views)
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 06:51 AM   #3

Thanks for the response,

I am wondering what the differences between a 2006 and a 2007 Monaco Aladdin system are, I find information about earlier years Aladdin Systems but nothing about the 2007 and beyond. Are they the same, can I use the troubleshooting guide and wiring diagram from the 2006 in earlier versions?
Old 09-01-2020, 07:17 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I'm not sure Mark, but I have not seen an Aladdin service manual later than the one I attached.

I think Aladdin went out of business in 2006-ish so the Aladdin system in your Coach is most likely old stock being used up.

Sort of like a wiring diagram where the date the diagram is published (say 2006) is on it, but then the manufacture doesn't change anything for the next year or two so that diagram is still good.
Old 09-01-2020, 07:31 AM   #5

Hi, Mark. I don't know the answer to your question, but I do suspect that the manuals for the '06 should be applicable to your coach. I think it was about '07 or '08 that Aladdin ceased to exist. CountryB is likely correct. The engine related information comes thru the ECM, but I never have touched that part of our system so am not of much help.

I would, however, trust that whatever you find from Aladdin should be valid. I just searched the documentation that I have, and I do NOT see any information about the ECM input to the Aladdin. Dang!

I did find a drawing that shows that the engine data comes in on a connector on the side of the module that CountryB shows in his photo. In that photo, it would be the connector coming in on the extreme left on the bottom edge (left edge viewed with the module horizontal). It should be a 6-pin connector.

In our '06 Dynasty that module is just laying in and amongst the mass of wiring under the cover on the top of the dash in front of the steering wheel. We had issues in the past with connector integrity on the Aladdin module, so it is very possible that it may be all that is wrong with your unit. I hope that is the case.

Don't know if this is of any help, or not. I wish you good luck in your searchings. FYI, we replaced our Aladdin system with a Silverleaf system and really have been happy with the change.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 09:28 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
X2 on the SilverLeaf Aladdin replacement. We replaced our Aladdin 4 years ago with the SL plug and play. Works great.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 10:53 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I read the cost to switch over is around $3000. Is that correct?
Old 09-02-2020, 10:55 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I only get the xxxx when the engine isn’t running.
Old 09-02-2020, 12:02 PM   #9

Had that exact problem after moving the wires around in that area. As Country mentioned there is a Engine Data port on the main unit. A 6 pin connector. On mine 1 of the wires in the male plug was black and that is the ground going back to the ECM where it gets data. The wire was loose in the pin and had pulled out. The XXX means No Data. Got a new male plug and pins to repair it from Digikey. That was cheap. The insertion/extraction tool cost more then the parts. PM me if you have the same issue.
kenwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 01:00 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Great information above! The old Aladdin manuals say the engine input comes from the Hillam connector which should be one of the two connectors on the ECM, probably the connector on the right hand side.

When I take the ECM off for programming with Cummins Insite, I made a connector to the Inline 6 adapter with wires which I connect to the ECM +12 volt hot, the +12 volt switched, ground, J1939 data + and - and J1708 data + and -. I believe the Aladdin uses the same inputs at that Hillam connector.
Old 09-02-2020, 03:05 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pduggs View Post
I only get the xxxx when the engine isn’t running.
Then the engine data displays correctly when the engine is running (i.e. Speed = 0, RPM = 700, Coolant temp = something, etc.)?

If that is the case, then it sounds like the power to the Aladdin (via the ECM data connector) is not getting power with engine off, key on.

Did the Aladdin work correctly at some time, or has it always been like this?

Do all the other Aladdin functions (tank levels, Coach Elec status, etc.) work with the key in the On or ACC position, with engine not running?
Old 09-02-2020, 09:11 PM   #12

I will have to check that when I go back to the coach tomorrow. It looks like loose data connections between the engine and transmission and the Aladdin box. I hope!

I haven’t had time to verify where the Aladdin box is located.
Old 09-02-2020, 09:45 PM   #13

Mine is above the he driver in the back of the overhead cabinet pushed into the front cap kind of laying in a mass of cabling. Piss pore installation. Not at all like Country’s nice clean looking job
kenwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 04:36 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenwyatt View Post
Mine is above the he driver in the back of the overhead cabinet pushed into the front cap kind of laying in a mass of cabling. Piss pore installation. Not at all like Country’s nice clean looking job
Mine was jammed into the same place as yours Ken.
I moved it out to where you see it now (I wasn't really using the cabinet for anything) and I wanted easier access to it for my camera upgrade.

Tags
2007, aladdin, diplomat, monaco